Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2011, 12:46 PM   #1

Question THOR- A.C.E. Airing out?

Getting better but first few extended time periods inside both wife and I experienced varying degree's of EXTREME nausea, headache. I hear this is not unusual for offgassing of new materials. How many of you experienced this in new coach's.
ToledoCharli is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2011, 06:06 PM   #2

Formaldehyde and other VOCs

I'm so sorry to hear about your new RV. I have a high level of sensitivity to VOCs and formaldehyde. You may want to read up a bit on it and limit your exposure until your RV has had more time to air out.

Volatile Organic Compounds | Indoor Air Quality | US EPA

Sounds like you are having a similar problem to the FEMA trailers.
Are FEMA Trailers Making Residents Sick? - CBS News

In my 1994 there was a warning about Formaldehyde out gassing. Of course by the time we bought it the gases were all gone. I guess with they way they build things new today I should probably always buy used for both houses and RVs. I already buy used or solid wood furniture (no particle board) and zero VOC paints etc.

Best,
Michelle
micd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 04:59 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
We bought our Bounder about as new as you can get. Mfr'd in April '06, driven from PA to the dealer in OH where we bought it the weekend it was delivered. The "new coach" smell was pretty overwhelming the first 6 months or so - especially when it was closed up between trips. It also set off the CO detector to where we had to disconnect it when we weren't in it. The smell would give me a headache after a few hours of being inside. We got to just leaving the vents open (w/MaxxAir covers) & one of the crank out windows open to help air circulate & we used the vent fans alot when we were in it. The smell eventually went away.

Just try to keep as much air movement inside & open the windows/vents often.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 05:54 PM   #4

My new Montana does not have any smell other that what a new trailer
smell.NO not chemical!
Old 06-15-2011, 08:12 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I would ask Thor to provide the MSDS (material safety data sheet) for all of the materials used in the manufacturer of the coach. They have to have them on hand and readily available to any employee that is working in the plant per federal law. If not contact OSHA and report te fact that you cannot get the manufacturer to provide them.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 07:17 PM   #6

Can relate!

We sold our Montana Mountaineer (2008 yr. model, I believe) because the smell NEVER went away! We got headaches, nausea, difficulty breathing -- you name it! Totally miserable while we were in it, and yet we bought a super nice one with all the bells & whistles so we could have it a while. We really found it hard to sleep in it... Now that we're looking at fifth wheels once again, I can't even go into any of the Keystone/Montana brands. It smells like poison in there! All I know to do is let the RV air-out and keep the windows open! Good luck to you! *Oh, and we bought a plug-in air purifier. May have been our imagination, but it actually seemed to help a bit!
boymom is offline   Reply With Quote