Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-10-2012, 07:51 AM   #1

thor does it again

On my 14mo old serrano the never used air mattress in the hide a bed leaks. An invisible and undetectable leak only with weight on it and NO WARRANTY. One more nail in the coffin for the worst quality control on earth.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2012, 07:57 AM   #2
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have to tell this story, as a possibility for you.

Back when - In 5th wheel.
Air bed - self inflating pump.
DW wants to sleep on it cause I'm snoring to loud
We inflate.
I go to bed.
I found her asleep on the floor
She said she got up two times and put air in it because it leaked down
Did some checking.
The relief valve was not closed tight.
She was not a happy camper.

Check the relief valve(s)

A few months later it leaked again, but this time it was at a seam. Replaced under warranty. Few months later the new one leaked. Pin hole from opening and closing. I do not like air mattresses in an RV.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 08:13 AM   #3

thanks ; I checked and rechecked. Gonna see if a foam rubber mattress will fit.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:01 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherone View Post
On my 14mo old serrano the never used air mattress in the hide a bed leaks. An invisible and undetectable leak only with weight on it and NO WARRANTY. One more nail in the coffin for the worst quality control on earth.
Hmmmm. I'm sensing that you won't be buying another Thor product. Sorry to hear of all the problems you've had with that Serrano.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:17 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Don't know if I would write of a manufacture because of a leaking air mattress. Thats an out sourced item, like your fridge or micro wave. Go after the manufacture of the blow up matress. Kinda like blaming your furnace because you have a faulty thermostat.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:30 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred1609 View Post
Don't know if I would write of a manufacture because of a leaking air mattress. Thats an out sourced item, like your fridge or micro wave. Go after the manufacture of the blow up matress. Kinda like blaming your furnace because you have a faulty thermostat.
It's the manufacturer that chose to use that particular product. Within the warranty period of those products the manufacturer should stand good or otherwise the customer would be responsible for going after the manufacturer's of all the separate pieces of the RV. We buy complete RVs, not individual pieces.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:21 AM   #7
doc

Appalachian Campers
"Don't know if I would write of a manufacture because of a leaking air mattress. Thats an out sourced item, like your fridge or micro wave. Go after the manufacture of the blow up matress. Kinda like blaming your furnace because you have a faulty thermostat. "

Well said! BUT.....
I do think the RV manufacturer should be a go-between for you and the mattress maker. After all, you bought the coach from them.
If there is a problem with a tire on a car at the dealership, we take care of the tire for the customer and then deal with the tire problem, manufacturer to manufacturer. Too many times I have seen an RV dealer tell a customer, that is not our problem that is with the chassis maker or equipment supplier. Well, I did not buy this high dollar coach from some supplier, I bought it from YOU and YOU should be the one to make me happy and YOU do the right thing.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:25 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Actually there's a lot more to this story. He has had numerous problems with his coach and has posted about the non-response from Thor in the Owner's section.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:44 AM   #9

Quote:
I didnt write thor off because of a leaking air mattress! I wrote them off because they wrote me off. Zero customer service! Heres a partial list as alot of other things I fixed myself. The stupidity is mind boggling in some of their construction. Its laughable ; just for example the two AC thermostats are 4 ft apart. How are they supposed to properly work fighting each other? Anyway it goes on and on ; just like a company that looks like they were going out of business and said just get it out and dont worry about it.

Serrano 31x defects

1. Front End alignment out
2. Front tire out of round
3. Clutch fan hitting under a load
4. Right front hydraulic line leaking
5. Water leak rear wall
6. Front roof ac vibrates motorhome
7. Roof vent raise/lower switch reversed
8. Wood floor at step sinking
9. Recall on mirror seals outside
10. Drivers window hard to open
11. Air bed leaks
12. Floor vents no heat bathroom and bedroom
13. Shower door tract misaligned
14. Passenger front seat cushion collapsed
15. Refrigerator runs off inverter instead of propane
16. Black water valve leaks
17. Black water valve not centered to compartment hole
18. Living room slide tilts, pops, catches and bends outside trim
19. Bedroom slide gear slips
20. Surround sound speakers inop
21. Antennae turning ring cut too short
22. Satellite box mounted not near tv
23. No color on back up camera
24. Dash ac vent inop
25. Driver seat pedestal too high
26. Electric step keeps running
27. Driver seat stitching lower right side needs repair
28. Steering wheel lower plastic coming apart and key sticks in start position
29. Headlights out of adjustment
30. Patio awning sticks up in the air
31. 50 amp cord attachment is inconvenient to plug in
32 toilet too small ; Smaller weird like some barbie size - cheap
I want an apology from thor and a letter stating bring it in under factory warranty!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-03-2012, 07:24 AM   #10
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Anotherone - re: Serrano 31x defects

Man, that is a LOT to swallow! It would make me sick to deal with after putting in hard earned cash into something only to have so many things go wrong.

Sorry to hear and I hope things work out!
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 03:37 PM   #11

I have an '08 5er Challenger by Keystone - a Thor company. We have had continuous problems with this unit. I'll never buy another Thor or Keystone product.
Dick Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 05:51 PM   #12

I don't want to belittle anyone and their problems, but it seems for every one person who has such problems there are nine more who haven't had a single problem. Generally the only ones we hear about on these forum are the lemons (which exist everywhere, cars, truck, televisions, phones, computers, you name it). You just about never hear from the folks who have had their rigs for years without a single problem or issue.
2018 Silverado 3500HD High Country Dually 4x4 Duramax/Allison, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Disc Brakes, Mor/ryde IS, Sailun 17.5" H tires, 5.5K Onan, Dual ACs, auto level, auto sat dish, stacked washer/dryer, residential fridge, King sleep number. Michelle & Ann
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 06:05 PM   #13

Send a message via Skype™ to GSGracie
It seems to me the problem here is not what went wrong, but how it was addressed once identified. I do not expect any second-hand vehicle to be perfect, but I do want to be taken seriously when things go wrong, including being told what NOT to do next time if it was my fault the problem appeared.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:20 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Man, I don't get it! Thor has done everything I have asked. Some extremely minor things even though brand new I fixed myself because I knew I would and could do a better job. I told the the seat foam I my dinette was too soft and they replaced it. They did not say your too heavy and are squishing it down too much, they simply sent me denser foam. How come customer service for me is great and for you crappy? I don't know, but I call and speak to people like they are people not Aholes. i have owned it for almost 1year now and they have been great! as good as Acura has been with my car or Honda with my Truck.
Bdhicks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
thor