Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2012, 04:27 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebrls View Post
also going to look at the fleetwood bounder classic .
so if the fleetwood and the newmar are around the same price range would the 2012 newmar be the better pic or 2013 fleetwood ?

thank's for your help
mike
For whatever it's worth mike, most all of the Bounder owners we've met during our travels seem to be very happy with their coach.

Friends we met this year in Birch Bay, WA have Bounder DP, and I think it's a 2002,and from what I observed while inside their coach it appeared to be of an above average quality fit & finish. Not sure about the newer models though..

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2012, 06:43 PM   #30

Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have never owned a Bounder but I have never met a disatisfied Bounder owner either. Fleetwood does make a fine Class A.

Old 12-16-2012, 07:12 PM   #31

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckftboy
I have never owned a Bounder but I have never met a disatisfied Bounder owner either. Fleetwood does make a fine Class A.
Not sure when this was written but it provides insight into how the Bounder came to be. An enjoyable read on an enjoyable Motorhome.

http://www.betterrving.com/article/r...ounder_history

Function, form and affordability. We love our Bounder!
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:47 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebrls View Post
I went and looked at a few more Rv's today fleetwood bounder and some tiffen's and newmar's all I could say is they get nicer as the tour went on .

mike
I have also been looking and looking at MHs. New gas type and used diesel type.

Although I have had several RVs I am no expert but almost bought the Bounder 33C. Has the perfect floorplan for us. Including the optional washer/dryer, and the way the TV is situated. Then someone on a forum mentioned that don't only look at the chassis the MH is built on but the wheel base. You can build a cheaper MH by building on a shorter wheel base with the same weight carrying capacity. I notice the Itasca is built on a longer wheel base than the Fleetwood products. Now I am looking closer at the Itasca Sunstar. I drove a new Fleetwood Southwind 32V. Very responsive steering, V10 seems adequate. Easily made a U turn from the left turn lane but wondering about that 208.3 inch wheel base. I wonder how that 208.3 inch wheel base responds on interstates when large tractor trail rigs pass by.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:12 PM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The more overhang past rear axel means more tail swing, and may affect tow vehicle in a bad way when making sharp turns. On the highway probably no big deal.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:43 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyorancher View Post
I have also been looking and looking at MHs. New gas type and used diesel type.

Although I have had several RVs I am no expert but almost bought the Bounder 33C. Has the perfect floorplan for us. Including the optional washer/dryer, and the way the TV is situated. Then someone on a forum mentioned that don't only look at the chassis the MH is built on but the wheel base. You can build a cheaper MH by building on a shorter wheel base with the same weight carrying capacity. I notice the Itasca is built on a longer wheel base than the Fleetwood products. Now I am looking closer at the Itasca Sunstar. I drove a new Fleetwood Southwind 32V. Very responsive steering, V10 seems adequate. Easily made a U turn from the left turn lane but wondering about that 208.3 inch wheel base. I wonder how that 208.3 inch wheel base responds on interstates when large tractor trail rigs pass by.
I can feel my Bounder 33U on a 208" wheel base when a semi truck flies by me on the freeway. I am not sure of any aftermarket products that exist for my 2011 Ford Chassis to improve steering/handling, it handles and steers very well now.
Old 12-24-2012, 03:06 PM   #35

Have you thought about towing? Not trying to start the whole gas vs. diesel debate, but as others have stated, your money will go much farther buying used. Most gas rigs have a 5,000lb towing limit whereas most diesel rigs can pull 10'000+.

We are a family of five and had been shopping for an RV for over 2 years. Started out wanting new, but ended up buying used (actually wound up purchasing my in-laws DP, long story) as you will find that not much has changed between the majority of the 2012 models and 2005+ units for the most part within your price point. My wife and I really liked the Fleetwood, Discovery/Expedition/Excursion models. Very nice floor plans with multiple slides, plenty of power behind the wheel and most of all, the ride on a DP is far better than a gas rig in my opinion.

Tags
fleetwood, itasca, thor