Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2012, 08:33 AM   #1

Evergreen Owners Club
Thor , Fleetwood , Itasca

I posted before about the Itasca and thor now Im going to throw Fleetwood in the mix

ok so we will be using this unit mostly for long 3 to 4 day trip's and once a year for 8 day trip with wife and 4 year old and myself.
of course the wife loved the Itasca sunstar that was $ 110 k but as we get more into looking and talking about our need's I would like to spend in the low $ 80k range for a class A RV under 35 ft..
with that said is the warranty and build quality that much better on the Itasca vs the thor and fleetwood ? Being my first RV I don't want it sitting in the shop for month's at a time like I hear on this forum when buying new ." wife want's new so used is out of the question "
I guess I should also throw in Newmar and Tiffen If I going to spend low $100 k on something but I would prefer to stay in the $ 80k area unless there is a big difference in quality and warranty work

thank you
mke
mikebrls is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2012, 09:26 AM   #2

For myself the decision would be rather easy, as I would get the coach my dear wife liked so long as the build quality was acceptable.

There's a saying that's been around for a while, and it's, "Keep your wife happy and you and everyone else will be happy."

Seriously though, for us, the most important consideration in selecting our coach was, we wanted one with a comfortable, livable floor plan with adequate wardrobe space that would best suit our needs.

It will be your home away from home.

Good luck with your decision and safe travels....

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:07 AM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Is that $110k the sticker price? If so, you'd be at $82,500 with a very attainable 25% discount off of that MSRP. (Would obviously need to add in taxes, etc. back in to that for your final out the door price).

go6car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:16 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
In my unbiased opinion- Itasca. We have had our Winnie now for almost 5 years since new (with a very short punch list of problems- all fixed within the 1st year). Good luck with your search and have fun along the way!
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:22 PM   #5

Evergreen Owners Club
I went and looked at a few more Rv's today fleetwood bounder and some tiffen's and newmar's all I could say is they get nicer as the tour went on .

mike
Old 11-21-2012, 05:24 PM   #6

Evergreen Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by go6car View Post
Is that $110k the sticker price? If so, you'd be at $82,500 with a very attainable 25% discount off of that MSRP. (Would obviously need to add in taxes, etc. back in to that for your final out the door price).
$ 80 k to $110 k would be the buy price after the 25 to 35 % discount
Old 11-22-2012, 11:41 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I think you are going to get pretty much what you pay for. If you buy an $80k MSRP coach, it won't make much difference if it is an $80k Itasca or an $80k Fleetwood. They are all buying from the same component manufacturers, using pretty much the same (gas) chassis, and using the same basic construction techniques. And you aren't using the coach enough to wear it out any time soon.

For your needs you really need to be shopping for a used coach, but if that's not an acceptable option...

Winnebago/Itasca makes a pretty decent coach, well-thought out. A good choice for a newcomer to RVs, I think. However, I'm partial to Fleetwood styling (in and out) and the way they design certain things, so I would be looking hard at them too.

If $80k is the budget, then you can be looking at $100k MSRP coaches. And if it takes $90k or $100k to make Momma thoroughly happy, it is money well spent.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 12:52 PM   #8

Sure glad my wife is cheap,,, Or should I say Easy to please, ,, no,, that won't work either,,, hmmmm Brand new is really nice,, and some can afford it... But geez, the big money you instantly lose when you drive off the lot, even a year or two old with all the bugs worked out "might" be a better deal... Then again as stated,,, "IF the wife is happy ,,,,"
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:23 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Something like the Thor Ace is probably a good match to your planned usage and the budget you want. It's well under 35 ft, though. More like 29, so probably smaller than what you have been looking at. At 26 ft Itasca would also come in with an MSRP in the $75-$85k range, but any of the larger ones will be over$100k MSRP.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:06 AM   #10

Evergreen Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Something like the Thor Ace is probably a good match to your planned usage and the budget you want. It's well under 35 ft, though. More like 29, so probably smaller than what you have been looking at. At 26 ft Itasca would also come in with an MSRP in the $75-$85k range, but any of the larger ones will be over$100k MSRP.
going to look at the thor ace today with wife , I have been reading so many horra story's with the Thor line " air condition, generator, electrical , so not sure, I want to avoid the shady building process .
ARE any of these brand manufactured better then the other ? " quality control "
also like the fleetwood bounder classic and comment's on this one ?
we will see what happen's today
thank's
mike
Old 11-23-2012, 08:29 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
looked at thor's and itasca's at camping world rv show at oceanlakes and i still like fleetwood better
genesimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:05 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

I'm not a Thor fan either, and as I said above, a low price in any brand means that corners were cut somewhere. Still, the ACE is about the size and budget to meet your needs if it has to be a new one.

You should really think hard about buying used, though. Would you insist on only buying a new house? Or moving into a new apartment building?
Old 11-23-2012, 02:56 PM   #13

Evergreen Owners Club
went for a test ride in the ACE it drove nice but a lot of rattling from the widow's and slide ect,
what about a 2012 Newmar baystar sport @ around $ 90 k what do you guy's think about these ?
when I spoke to the sale's guy about the newmar and told him about the rattling from the thor he said newmar's won't rattle . has anyone been in one that can tell me for sure about this . wife and I will probably go look at the newmar tomorrow .
thank's
mike
Old 11-23-2012, 02:58 PM   #14

Evergreen Owners Club
also going to look at the fleetwood bounder classic .
so if the fleetwood and the newmar are around the same price range would the 2012 newmar be the better pic or 2013 fleetwood ?

thank's for your help
mike

Tags
fleetwood, itasca, thor