Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2017, 01:44 PM   #1

Thoughts on my next coach

A little background:
We bought our first coach about a year ago, a new 2017 Winnebago Sunstar 29VE. We really did not know if we were even going to like the RV lifestyle, so we want to start with an entry level model. It turns out that we both love it. In fact I think the DW loves it more than I do if that is even possible. I am a researcher by nature and the DW, not so much. I frustrate her with my never ending quest for just the right choice. I did quite a bit of research in finding the Winne, and we both are happy with it. I have made some handling improvements to the point it is very driveable for both of us. In fact we fight over who gets to drive. She loves our coach and says she wouldn't change a thing.
Here in lies my problem. I have continued my research of class A motor homes and have come the the conclusion that our next coach should be mid level diesel pusher in the 40' range. I like Tiffin, Newmar, Entegra, and American Coach. I am thinking we can comfortably afford between 200-250K. This will mean a 3-4 year old used model. I also think that we should make this move in about 3 years, around 2020. That would mean a 2017 or 2018 model. Every time I mention this plan to her she says we don't need such a fancy coach, The one we have is perfect, and the next one should be about the same. I have mentioned how much quieter and smoother a DP will ride, better insulation, more room, etc, etc. She is just happy with what we have and sees no reason to upgrade. It is not so much the money, even though that is a consideration, it is more the idea of a fancier coach is more complicated with more things to go wrong.

I would really like some advice on how to convince her we need to upgrade to a better coach.

LarryJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2017, 02:16 PM   #2

I thought I was going to buy a diesel someday too.......the first rv was a class c, and that first year, we traveled up to Alaska. When we returned, we traded to a 31 foot holiday rambler class a...after owning it for 3 years, we traded for a 2010 adventurer 35p Winnebago....a very nice coach....basement air, great layout......and easy to maintain.
This past July we traded for what is probably our last coach.....a 2017 Winnebago adventurer 38q......we love this coach because it seems that Winnebago made there last adventurer the best yet.
Yes it's a gas engine, but it has so much to offer.....not paying the premium price for the diesel coach, not paying the difference for diesel fuel, not paying the higher price for maintenance......and the layout mimics a diesel coach.
I get 6.3 mpg towing a 2008 Jeep Liberty in the tow/haul mode.......but when I tow w/o the tow/haul, I get 7.3 mpg....not bad at all.

Old 11-19-2017, 02:46 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Bottom line is; happy wife, happy life. The only way you "may" convince her of the diesel is to test drive a few, pointing out the ride/quiet while under way. Yes, the additional room is a bonus as well, but bigger is not always necessarily better; along with the additional interior space comes additional exterior size as well. Will she enjoy driving that big of a rig the way she enjoys your current one? And of course there is the higher maintenance costs of a diesel vs gas to consider.
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 04:06 PM   #4

OK, you guys are not helping!
Old 11-19-2017, 04:30 PM   #5
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Larry,
No one can pick your MH for you. You are just going to have to bite the bullet and remember who is boss.

With that said, we just recently purchased a 2 year old, new to us MH. Our primary considerations was the interior. We wanted a coach with a seating arrangement that was a walk into the living room. Didn't matter if it was front entry or mid entry we just didn't want the captain's and co-pilot chairs separated by a kitchen from the living room. Just a much cozier seating arrangement when having guests.

So before you do purchase something, and assuming you can convince her, weed out the "i don't want to have" and then select what you do want to have.

I'll be she would go for a 2 year old Prevost - My wife would but she'd have to go with the new driver.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 04:40 PM   #6

Ok, this is not what I was hoping for. You guys seem to be on her side.
Old 11-19-2017, 06:09 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My suggestion? Have her drive a 40' DP.

and there will be nothing more to say or do.
This happened with my brother and his wife who were totally happy with their gasser; then they drove our DP. Done deal.
I've owned both and have much respect for opinions on all sides. I've had excellent luck with a shameful number of RVs - ford chassis/chevy chassis/freightliner/roadmaster. I can say nothing bad about gas rv's, and in many ways miss the Trek with the Chevy 454 that we had for economy and driveability.
That being said...Have her drive one. Done.
Just my .02.
Towing 2001 Saturn SL2
ziaptrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 08:39 PM   #8

American Coach Owners Club
Find the right floorpan in a DP and don't think you will ever look back. Really love the quietness of the DP compared to a gasser pulling the long mountain grades.
FORTRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 09:02 PM   #9
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Larry, just take off the skirt and wear the pants....like that is really going to work.

I have a sign in my house. It states, "I am master of this house. Whatever my wife wishes shall be done."
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 11:28 PM   #10

Have you taken her for a ride in the kind of coach you are looking at? Perhaps even let her drive one? Maybe the jump for your 29' to a 40' seems too big for her. Try out a Newmar with Comfort Drive and she'll see how easy and fun it is!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 06:26 AM   #11

How can I go about finding one to drive. I would not feel right about asking a dealer to let us take a test drive knowing I was not ready to buy.
Old 11-20-2017, 06:30 AM   #12

We are planning a trip to Lewisville, tx soon and I have talked her into going to NIRVC to look some of the coaches I am interested in. I was not planning in asking to test drive any of them though.
Old 11-20-2017, 06:49 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryJB View Post
Ok, this is not what I was hoping for. You guys seem to be on her side.
In case your research is still gathering information, here is a list of what we got when we left one very nice coach for the coach we now have...

Auto step cover; eliminating a manual exercise every time we needed to exit

6-way passenger seat, with footrest,

Auto-winding shore power cord

full-coach heating system, including basement heat

better chassis/suspension system for much better handling

twice as much torque; making mountain driving liveable

granite counters, ceramic tile, ceramic commode

finer fit/finish which should greatly reduce squeaks as the unit ages

3" higher ceiling (a huge difference)

For the couple of dollars difference, it is like night/day to us, having found that our first coach was nice, but we didn't know what we were missing.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:33 AM   #14

What is an auto step cover?
Also, the cost difference is a bit more than a couple of dollars. My current coach cost less than 100k new and the ones I am looking at are more than twice that used.
Just saying.