Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2018, 01:08 PM   #1

Thoughts on outside kitchens?

Tell me about outdoor kitchens please.

We are newbies and are sorta focused on finding one with the outside kitchen but the more we think about it how great can it be cooking on those little stoves plus a true grill is better and necessary anyway? As for the sinks...not sure I’d use it. The fridge maybe is another story if only just to expand from the usual small main fridge.

kone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2018, 01:23 PM   #2

You're correct. They are tiny and folks always grill anyway. They take up coveted storage space. We know folks who never use them on their RVs. It's a 'gadget' thing.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 01:36 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Our MH has an outside Norcold refrigerator/freezer. Nice item that the original owner paid close to $1500 retail to add to the build list. It takes up an entire storage bin, and we never turn it on. We have a great Coleman gas grill that folds flat and fits nicely in a bin. I can move it where I want it, which usually is near the door, and away from the coach (smoke).

In my opinion...outside kitchens look cool. but I wouldn't give up the space and flexibility.
Old 03-24-2018, 01:50 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
As with so many things, personal preference... We just bought a new trailer and didn't want to give up inside storage space to have the outdoor kitchen. Especially because we were moving from a class C with big basements to a TT - where storage is at a premium.

I'm sure some folks use the heck out of their outdoor kitchen - we've just never found that we missed having one.
Old 03-24-2018, 03:44 PM   #5

Jayco Owners Club
I'm from the other side of the tracks on this

An outside kitchen was a necessity on the TT we bought last year.

Been camping for past 11 years, and from my house that means May - Oct, and have never used the inside stove. Used an 'outside kitchen box' built by my brother which had given him many years of service. That and a 20lb propane tank, distribution tree (which makes a good propane lantern stand, just wish it was longer), hoses , and stoves.
I camp to enjoy the outdoors, so to me cooking outside is a bonus. Plus if I burn the food my bedroom doesn't remind me I'm not a world class chef all night.
Our outside kitchen has a 2 burner stove, more on that later, a sink which drains into the gray tank, and a dorm size 120volt fridge. It sets under the bottom bunk and there is some storage under the rest of the bunk. There is a little storage above the stove/sink area, no prep space though.
The stoves burners are offset and with the wind guards it restricts the size of the pans you can use. It works a I expected it would. The outside sink is very handy and other than the hose connections to the sink loosing up with all the movement, which I just check every time I use it and pack it up. The outside fridge is when on an electric site for convenient retrieval of (insert favorite beverage here).
I also have a Roadtrip grill with the burner and griddle tops as well as the grill ones that came with it
And the best part is the awning covers it if its raining

Just my $0.02
Old 03-24-2018, 04:00 PM   #6

Our trailer came with an kitchnand I didn’t care. I had plenty of kitchen stuff from tent camping. Big surprise. I fell in love with it. The fridge is great for beverages and I love cooking breakfasts and dinners outside. I wish my setup had easy connect propane lines. It is a pain in the neck. Also wish we had a little sink for clean up. Bottom line is the space was not a biggie as the space above it is a big closet and we will never have a trailer w/o a nice outside kitchen!
GScott423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 04:05 PM   #7

New Horizons Owners Club
IMO they are always facing the wind and rain. No thank you.
As others have said you are also giving up space and weight by having one. I would get a grill and a small camp stove, that way you can move them around and get 9n the protected side of your rig. Works much better. A wind screen is also very useful, even on the leeward side.
Pullin' Chocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 04:23 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
I use the bed of my 2008 Tacoma 4x4 P/U for a mobile chuck wagon. It adds weight to the back of the P/U and is very handy when out for day trips and it is lunch time in the boonies. The Weber grill, 5 gal propane tank, and plastic boxes for cool storage, cooking utensils, cleaning supplies, and eating utensils make it easy. I carry 4-5 gallons of fresh water too.

I was off roading with Jeeps and other small vehicles and we stopped at a gap in the mountains in Death Valley. The snow capped Mt. Charleston to the East and Mt. Whitney to the West was a great spot. I dropped the tail gate (food prep and table), fired up the grill and put kielbasa on for sandwiches with swiss cheese and sauerkraut, on toasted buns, and cold beer from the cooler. The jeep folks with their PB&J sandwiches and water thought that wasn't fair to have hot food on the trail.

It all works just as well at the campground and I can move the P/U for shade and wind blocking while cooking.
2012 Bay Star 2901, 2 ACs, 5.5KW Onan, 765W solar & Outback FM-60, 800 AH Lifeline AGMs & Magnum MS2812 + AGS + BMK, Koni FSDs, Safe-T-Plus, Super Steer Rear Track Bar, MCD Duo shades w/powered cockpit, remodeled galley, Sumo springs and 2008 Tacoma 4x4 toad.
joes2901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 04:28 PM   #9

We have an outdoor kitchen in our TT... and wouldn’t get another without one.

The outdoor kitchen has my beer fridge, is located next to my bumper mounted grill mount, contains a sink where I wash my hands during grilling, contains cabinets and of course the small stove. It also has coax for TV and a 120vac receptacle.

When it is time to prepare meals, the outdoor kitchen comes in handy in several ways. It keeps the heat, steam, grease, smoke and smells out of the camper. It also keeps one of the cooks out of the indoor kitchen. It also allows both of us to prepare without getting in each others way.

I think they are great!
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 07:17 PM   #10

We bought a used Grayhawk with an outside kitchen. We found that having the kitchen seriously cut down on our outside storage. We do not use the kitchen; I've removed the refrigerator to open up some storage space. I may remove the sink and overhead cabinet if we need additional space.

Jump
Jump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 08:02 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
We are on RV number six. When shopping, we have a 'must have' list and a 'must not have' list. Outside kitchens and entertainment centers are on the latter list.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 08:07 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
An outside refrigerator is nice to have. A compact one can be purchased and placed in a storage bay. You'll want a nice standalone grill anyway. A sink outside us not a big deal.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 08:10 PM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
When we looked at our trailer it came with an outside kitchen (small sink and two burner stove). I asked if I could order it without it as it seemed to eat up some cargo space and seemed gimmicky. No luck on the custom order but it was an easy removal process. Well we got the trailer and the outdoor kitchen has proven very useful. I use it all the time for anything that creates smoke or smell, think bacon. Even more useful than the stovetop has been the sink. No more running in and out of the trailer everytime someone needs to wash their hands. It gets used whenever we call the grandkids for a meal. I know you could do the same thing with a Coleman stove and a 5 gallon water jug, but then you would have to store them. We use it a lot.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 08:32 PM   #14

.I just installed a small fridge in a storage bay. I setup a folding table with a remote canister stove and an electric hotplate.