Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2015, 03:35 PM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
Ok ok I'm getting one ASAP!
RattVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2015, 03:51 PM   #16

Thor Owners Club
No real downside, but I suggest you have a front end alignment done before you have the Safe-T-Plus installed. If properly aligned and installed, your rig will track straight, but the Safe-T-Plus needs to be adjusted properly else it may pull slightly left or right. A good installer can make the adjustment properly.

As to the comment about the wheel coming off the rim, there is a video done by Michelin which shows the full down accelerator pedal response, and the videos show the coach rolling on the rim without losing control. The Safe-T-Plus gives an extra measure of control.
taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 09:19 PM   #17

I've had a Safe-T-Plus on my motorhome for a year now and I do NOT notice any extra effort required to turn the steering wheel. I guess my power steering works as it should. I do notice a more solid feel in the steering and it returns to center after turning a corner as it should, which it didn't do before installing the Safe-T-Plus. I feel it's money well spent.
Old 05-15-2015, 05:44 AM   #18

I am installing mine for a couple of reasons..

Safety for my family. Not because I need it to save me, not because I need it to hold the road, or hold me against the wind. I am fairly confident that we all/most feel we can handle a coach in most situations. However I am sure our salt has not been tested in a lot of those situations that can occur.

Secondly, for my little woman. I don't think my 105lbs of DW that occasionally takes the wheel would fair as well in a blow out situation. Maybe I am wrong, but im willing to bet 400ish dollars to not find out.

If it assists any of us is a blow out situation and provides additional safety to us and those around us then that alone justifies the cost and effort.

If it makes the coach track better, and feel more solid, hey that is just a bonus...

Once I install mine next week I will report back on the steering firmness as well.

Happy Trails..
Boostable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 10:44 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

I don't want to come across as anti-Steering-assist or anti-safety, but there is no evidence that a Safe-T-Plus provides material help in a blow out situation. It might, cause it somewhat stiffens the action of the steering hardware, but it's conjecture at best. It's worthwhile to note that the company makes no claim to handle blow-outs - just that it "assists you" when things go wrong. There are customer testimonials about recovering from a blow-out, but that we don't know if the STP was the reason for success or not. No engineering or safety group has tested it in blowout situations.

I'm not trying to talk anybody out of having one, but think that some folks here have expectations of improved safety that are simply not unjustified.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 10:47 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

If blow-out safety is your prime motivation, something like the Tyron tire safety bands might be a better investment.

Tyron Flat Tyre Protection - The original inventors of the "wheel safety band".
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 04:48 PM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
Safe T Plus was on used 02 Cross Country when I purchased coach in 04.
Had right frt blow out on Interstate off ramp doing 50 mph.
Very loud bang, said to DW "what was that (I knew what it was, just not which one) She said; tire blew, I said which one? she pointed down, I said BS !
Never felt a thing in steering wheel. Got stopped on shoulder like had all six tires. Got out and right frt tire was totally gone. Walked back down road and seen gator pieces on road. Could see two thin grooves in asphalt for 150 ft were rim hit the ground rolling. Read here where damper causes heavy steering. Can't really attest to that as never drove that coach without safe T Plus.
Did notice right away that passing semi's bow wave didn't push RV like my previous rig. All in all I'd say it does what its suppose to do. Current coach is IFS so not something I think about.
Aside: Michelin covered the XRV tire on their warranty, always save the tire!
Later on blew two more tires. All side wall blow outs. Inside rears. Don't have high regard for that model tire. Compared to Michelin truck tires they are inferior in all aspects.
OEM tire on RV's, cause their soft, ride nice and their cheaper.
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 09:48 PM   #22

Workhorse Chassis Owner
My safety steer was installed by the seller at Quartzsite , a safety steer in nothing more than a giant shock and a shock has both push and pull resistance, so it does make a difference in the pressure required on the wheel. It did not pull to one side or the other just a heavy feeling on the steering wheel...........
stryker17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 04:53 AM   #23

A safe t plus is not a shock absorber...it has springs in it....with power steering there should be little or no noticeable difference other then more stability
MotorPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 09:43 AM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot_1 View Post
Safe T Plus was on used 02 Cross Country when I purchased coach in 04.

Current coach is IFS so not something I think about.
Aside: Michelin covered the XRV tire on their warranty, always save the tire!
Later on blew two more tires. All side wall blow outs. Inside rears. Don't have high regard for that model tire. Compared to Michelin truck tires they are inferior in all aspects.
OEM tire on RV's, cause their soft, ride nice and their cheaper.
Skypilot, why do did you comet about IFS?
Is it because it is not needed, otherwise not available?

Dan
Old 05-23-2015, 10:12 AM   #25
Commercial Member

properly installed, sate t plus ia a great product. it helps in crosswinds, and uneven roads, and blowouts.
yes, its a combination of shock and internal spring, but it works. it does help to control the coach during blowouts.
ive driven coaches since 1967. we have had several blowouts, with and without steering stabilizers. the stabilizers do help. its not a be all end all product. blowouts require some quick thinking, and common sense to decrease damage done to the rig.
occasional users, or those unsure of their driving skills can and do contribute to more serious damage during incidents like blowouts.
wrecks like the rollover shown in the video are not common. some type of damage is always present, depending on how quickly and safely you can stop.
azpete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 06:08 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Here's my story on the Safe-T-Plus. I searched for the best price and actually found it on Amazon ($362+$58 for the attachment kit). Got it a couple of days later in a huge box that was pretty near destroyed. At least everything was still in it. Jacked the coach up and followed all the directions and when done let the coach back down. Well, it bent the bracket that was attached to the Safe-T-Plus and also the eyelet on the STP. I called STP and told them what had happened and they said the bracket was an old style that they thought was off the market. They immediately sent out a new bracket kit (correct one) and a new STP- all at no charge to me and even though I did not buy it direct from them. They want me to send back to them the bent STP and bracket kit at their expense.
This type of customer service is hard to find now-a-days and I wanted to share it with all.
Oh, forgot to mention that the steering is a little firmer, which I feel is a plus, as I'm not driving a 4000# sports car, and the unit tracks straight down the road. Win Win
abrasv is offline   Reply With Quote