Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-12-2015, 12:03 PM   #1
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thoughts on Safe-T-Plus

The latest video from a Big rig showing a RV rollover has shaken me up.
I am wondering about any downside to the Safe-T-Plus steering centering device.

I believe it is basically a dual action shock absorber which is valve'd to prevent sudden fast steering changes.

but I also wonder if it introduces stress on the steering gear during normal driving, or if it would inhibit the drive from making any quick steering moves to avoid an accident.

I am sure people who spent money will say they are great, but I would like to hear from someone who actually had a blow-out with the device installed....OR if you had problems with the device.

It is worth $500 if it does the job with no downside.

2014 40QBH Phaeton DP Cummins 380HP ISL, Freightliner XC, 2014 Jeep Trailhawk TOAD
Blue Ox Aventa tow bar, SMI Air Force One -South Orange County Ca.
dpinvidic is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2015, 12:23 PM   #2
Winnebago Owners Club
I had a blowout several years ago on my last coach, a 34' gas Winnebago. If you search my postings you will find the details of the incident as well as others who posted similar results.

I was driving with a group of disaster relief equipment, through TX, going about 70mph. Right front tire blew blowing off the side panel over the wheel and damaged a shock. I heard it blow but honestly never felt it. I very easily and calmly pulled off the road to a stop. Insurance agent said he couldn't believe I had so little damage from a front blowout. He said usually heavy damage from losing control during a blowout. You will find others have said the same. It also helped in windy situations.

The first thing I did when I bought my current coach was add a Safe-T-Plus. Would not be without one. I do not tow a car but if I had one it would have a Safe-T-Plus also.

2007 Winnebago Journey 36'
Numbers 6:24-26
Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 03:43 PM   #3
Up side----Drives straighter , not pushed around as much by trucks,safer in blowout situations
Downsides------ can't think of one
Some of the best money I ever spent
MotorPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 03:50 PM   #4
Monaco Owners Club
Hi Dan,

I too was concerned with blowouts and purchased the Blue Ox True Center just in case. I do not have experience with the safe t plus. I would recommend either of these product that have the active feature of correcting the off center steering. The blue ox true center only comes this way but I think the safe t plus comes either active or passive.

It is amazing how well these products keep the coach centering in banked/canted road and cross winds. Well worth the price.

Stuart & Leslie
08 Holiday Ramb Navigator, 45 ft, Cummins ISX 600, 2014 Cherokee Limited, Cashmere. Roadmaster Sterling, SMI Airforceone. Full-timing since May 2014
S-n-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 05:08 PM   #5
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I just took one off my 2007 Jayco Seneca, I have had it on for about 3 years, I put it on just for the blow out reason, and with the wife driving, it seemed reasonable. I just got tired of the heavy steering that it requires all of the time, my unit used to be just a 2 finger steering , but with it on it required much more pressure and force to steer...........just got tired of fighting it.......so much nicer now..........who knows??????
stryker17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 07:24 PM   #6
Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have it on my rexair love it so much smoother going down road..had a blow out didnt know were it was till i stoped just heard it and felt the jolt stoped easy and stright well worth the money to me
rollingslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 08:17 PM   #7
Stryker 17, you took one off your 2007 Jayco Seneca. What did you have on it?
With the Safe T Plus that I installed on my 2003 Tiffin Bus, there is no heavy steer or force needed to drive. If you have a Safe T Plus contact them to see if it can be repaired under warranty. Did you install it yourself? If so did you do the centering routine? Since I installed it I have driven on the interstate hands off, (only for a few seconds, no traffic) and it tracks straight. I am really curious which unit you have.
Ed & Kathleen
2003 Tiffin Allegro 40'
Jeep Liberty Tow
Jamie65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 08:40 PM   #8
Glad to see some good feed back on the safe T plus. I ordered mine last week before the latest video surficed and even more glad I did since seeing it... It should be here tomorrow.

I went back and forth between the BO and the STP but ultimatly settled on the STP purely for the reason of me not being able to keep my hand off the button of the BO.. lol
Jack & Tania
2011 Tuscany 4051, 2015 Rubicon Toad
In Gator Country
Boostable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 04:42 AM   #9
Remember on the Safe T Plus to drive on some straight streets and set up the centering as per the instructions, I did mine driving around the neighborhood at
20 MPH. Also if you have a Freightliner chassis, make sure your air bags are deflated
to check clearance of your fuel tanks, clearance adapter included if needed.
Ed & Kathleen
2003 Tiffin Allegro 40'
Jeep Liberty Tow
Jamie65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 04:51 AM   #10
Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to Smokyjoe
I had Safe T Plus installed 14 years ago. That's 14 years of peace of mind.
2001 Travel Supreme

36' Diesel
Smokyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 12:21 PM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"
Newmar Owners Club
I think many of you are putting too much confidence in a steering stabilizer saving you in an accident. If you watch the video of the Tuscany, the tire disintegrated and blew out under the motor home (gator). That coach dropped down on a rim immediately. No steering stabilizer on earth would have helped that situation. The driver did a pretty good job of steering after the initial blowout, but ended up on soft uneven ground in the center divider. You can see his/her steering attempts, but didn't get any bite in the soft surface, like driving on ice.

As stated by one poster, the Safety-T-Plus gives you a heavy steering feel and can be tiresome by the end of the day. I installed one and them removed it.

A nice, but expensive product if you're looking for piece of mind and functionality is the TruCenter. They're about $900.00, but they let you adjust for wind and road crown. I installed one on my Diplomat and loved it.
Don & Mary
2014 Newmar Dutch Star - All Electric - 450 ISL
2016 GMC Canyon 4WD Crew Cab
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 01:32 PM   #12
Fleetwood Owners Club
Had Safe T Plus installed 13 years ago. I had right front Michelin zipper blow out 2 years later.
I went straight in the same lane at 60 MPH. But I also used the Michelin recommended pedal to the floor at the big bang sound. Only damage was a rim ding. That came out with a big sledge hammer put to it.

So don't know if it was using one or both of them that keep it in the same lane.

Watch that Michelin video. I never have felt any heavy steering with it on my XC Freightliner chassis. Always end the day refreshed.
99 Discovery 34Q ISB
2014 MKS AWD EcoBoost Toad
Fulltime Since "99"
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 09:15 AM   #13
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
seeing these different opinions (mostly positive), I am still left with the question "Why can't I do the same thing as the Safe-T-Plus as far as holding the steering wheel straight?" Is it a slow reaction problem.

All the Safe-T does (I think) is hold the steering...it does not accelerate the rig.

Just trying to separate the hype form facts....

2014 40QBH Phaeton DP Cummins 380HP ISL, Freightliner XC, 2014 Jeep Trailhawk TOAD
Blue Ox Aventa tow bar, SMI Air Force One -South Orange County Ca.
dpinvidic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 03:23 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had one on a coach a dozen years ago and noticed no real downside. Sometimes heard the power steering pump groaning a bit loud in tighter turns, though.

I did not install one on subsequent coaches cause I saw little upside as well. A TruTrak panhard rod did much more for wandering steering and I was never convinced it added much to blow-out handling. I'm a believer in the technique recommeded in the Michelin video on motorhome blow-outs and feel that a competent driver can handle most such failures.

Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote