Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2016, 08:57 AM   #1

Thousand Trail Membership

We are thinking of joining this for the Southeast area.
Anyone have any good or bad they like to share.
With the offer of 30 days free after joining sound pretty good to us as we are retired and would use them for sure.
no problem is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2016, 09:07 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by no problem View Post
We are thinking of joining this for the Southeast area.
Anyone have any good or bad they like to share.
With the offer of 30 days free after joining sound pretty good to us as we are retired and would use them for sure.
We joined TT during one of their "2 zones for the price of 1" promotions, and this past year were able to add a third zone. It's a real bargain if you're able to use TT sites where you would like to go. So far we have loved it. Remember not only do you get 30 "free" nights with your membership (which averages out to less than $20/night), but you get additional nights for $3 each.

While I recognize that it's not right for everyone, our Thousand Trails membership has been good for us. Of course we're also lucky to have 3 Thousand Trails campgrounds within about 40 miles of our home here in PA. But we've also visited TT locations in the Poconos, in New Jersey, and Virginia. Frankly the one closest to our home is our least favorite - we will only visit the place off-season (before Memorial Day and after Labor Day); having said that, the management has begun addressing some of the issues this year and it has improved.

Good luck!

Roger
Old 09-10-2016, 09:09 AM   #3

We had a free 1 yr membership given to us when we bought our RV. Never used it. We use our RV to travel. Thousand Trails is a 'destination' type of membership. You go there with the intent to stay there. Might be good for full timers.
Old 09-10-2016, 11:47 AM   #4

I got a free one year pass last year. Used it twice. Had limited vacation time. It is a destination place but I think it could also be used as a stop over location if planned correctly and in areas where they have enough campgrounds. If you use it it is worth the money, if you don't its a waste. The only think I didn't like about the two in SO Cal I visited was they both had lots of full timers living there. Made it look more like a trailer park than a campground.

I visited the one in the Santa Barbara mountains and Idyllwild I actually worked at the Idyllwild cg 36 years ago. The first year TT took it over. The cg has changed a lot with the full timers and cabins but over all I still like this place. Great memories.

Jerry
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 01:12 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We are TT members. Southwestern and northwestern zones. If the preserves are such that you will use them, and do use them, then it's a great deal.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 03:01 PM   #6

If you are full-time folks try using a broker who finds folks selling their memberships. See RVLove.com for info!!!!
UncleBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 05:52 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
We had a TT membership and did not renew it. Seems every time we wanted to stay at one of their CGs, all the good spots were occupied by an empty RV. Be sure to read ALL the fine print.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 11:44 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

We can't use ours much anymore, so I have a TT membership available in the Classifieds here. It's basically free to anyone who will pay the transfer fee.

http://www.irv2.com/rvclassifieds/sh...0&ppuser=22659
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 03:31 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
They have only 85 locations nationwide, and 18 of the largest states in the Rocky Mountains and midwest/central have zero locations. I think the zone concept ruins it. You should be able to stay at all 85 locations without paying big bucks for a super premium membership
RV Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 03:45 PM   #10

And many TT parks are in a downward spiral with poor maintenance and no updates.
The seasonal renters already have the choice sites.
Passport America, Good Sam, KOA, Escapees and such are always worth it, but the reviews mean a lot!
Allstays is our ticket to better sites and accommodations. No suprises.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 04:31 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
And many TT parks are in a downward spiral with poor maintenance and no updates.
The seasonal renters already have the choice sites.
Passport America, Good Sam, KOA, Escapees and such are always worth it, but the reviews mean a lot!
Allstays is our ticket to better sites and accommodations. No suprises.
I see TT making improvements to facilities. I think you will find each location has a plan and budget they are working with, towards improving. Albeit it's not a bottomless bucket of money and vast revamps all at once.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 06:09 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Vagabond View Post
They have only 85 locations nationwide, and 18 of the largest states in the Rocky Mountains and midwest/central have zero locations. I think the zone concept ruins it. You should be able to stay at all 85 locations without paying big bucks for a super premium membership
If you have a Zone membership, you can buy as many of the 5 zones as you want, each for a single one-time charge. But no matter what zones you 'own', you pay the same annual membership fee as I do. You might 'own' 1 zone to my 3, but we both pay the same annual fee. BTW, I now have 3 zones, which in my case covers the entire eastern half of the US.

As a Thousand Trails member you also get discounts at Encore locations. Have not done that yet.

The big bucks come in when you buy their Elite or similar membership, but again as I understand it, once you're in, you pay the same annual membership as I do. (I could be mistaken on that.)

This year the annual membership was less than $560. If Thousand Trails suits your needs, and you like the locations, it can be a good deal. DW and I think we're getting a good deal. FWIW, we also have Good Sam, KOA, and Passport America. They come in handy as well, but we use Thousand Trails the most.

Roger
Old 09-11-2016, 06:44 PM   #13

Thousand Trail Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkresge View Post
If you have a Zone membership, you can buy as many of the 5 zones as you want, each for a single one-time charge. But no matter what zones you 'own', you pay the same annual membership fee as I do. You might 'own' 1 zone to my 3, but we both pay the same annual fee. BTW, I now have 3 zones, which in my case covers the entire eastern half of the US.

As a Thousand Trails member you also get discounts at Encore locations. Have not done that yet.

The big bucks come in when you buy their Elite or similar membership, but again as I understand it, once you're in, you pay the same annual membership as I do. (I could be mistaken on that.)

This year the annual membership was less than $560. If Thousand Trails suits your needs, and you like the locations, it can be a good deal. DW and I think we're getting a good deal. FWIW, we also have Good Sam, KOA, and Passport America. They come in handy as well, but we use Thousand Trails the most.

Roger

As a fulltimer, I'm interested in the multiple zones, where the camps are, what is the one-time outlay per zone, and which of those locations are allowing seasonal renters.
I need to see if the camps will be near my destinations, and conjure up the financial bottom line.
And with seasonals having the good sites, what is left? And can I get around the 2-week limit?
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 09:47 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Isn't there a fee per each zone? You buy them separately ($545 each), and I thought each one had an annual renewal fee. Are you saying that after the initial purchase at $545 each, you pay for only one zone, no matter how many you have? That doesn't make sense, since the Zone Pass description says that each pass automatically renews each year. Aren't you paying $545 per zone per year?

As for annual dues on the regular membership, it varies by the type of contract and the amount is specified in that contract. Some are more than the individual zones but they all also include more resorts than any single zone. For example, my old "Alliance" membership contract provides 57 parks at $550/year.
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote