Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2014, 08:26 AM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Thousand Trails?

Anybody members of the Thousand Trails club? What is your opinion and what have been your experiences, good or bad? Thanks!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2014, 08:35 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
We were members, but did not renew. It seems the locations we liked to use had a great many members who rented spaces for the year. Naturally, they were all the best places...shaded, near the water, near the pool, etc, so when we got there, all the best spots were occupied by empty RVs.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 08:35 AM   #3

Mid Atlantic Campers
I was a member for many years. The preserves were great, but about ten years ago I tried voiding my membership. Turns out they believe your contract is in perpetuity, no matter what you do. I sent the original copy I had back with "Null and Void" written across it along with a letter stating I would never use any of their facilities and was cancelling my membership. They continued hounding me off and on for seven years or so. I'd tell them what I'd done and they'd stop for a year, but then come back again at me. Finally two years ago they sent my account to a collections agency. Again, I went back and forth with them, finally sending them two certified letters with copies of a photo I'd taken of the original contract just before sending it. Didn't have the actual letter, but remembered what I'd written and sent that too. So far, I haven't heard any more from anyone.

Bottom line, I'd NEVER enter into another contract with them or any other similar outfit. It also taught me to ALWAYS read any contract before signing to be certain there's a termination clause I can use. These guys are serious scammers.
Old 08-09-2014, 08:36 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
We have been members since 2005. It has changed over the years, realistically not for the better, but we still find it useful. As you ponder becoming a member, be sure to determine the locations of the preserves and decide if they fit into your specific lifestyle.

IMHO, assuming you've determined Thousand Trails is for you, finding a resale of one of the former national lifetime Platinum memberships could be your best choice (don't go through a broker . . . individuals will often sell them for much less).

We are not full-timers . . . those that are likely get more value from their memberships than us. We plan to remain members, however, at least for the foreseeable future.
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 08:49 AM   #5

When we purchased our M/H, we received a 3 night free stay at Bridal Falls with the condition we would attend a 1/2 hr sales seminar. Campgrounds were extremely clean and spacious. We attended our 1/2 hr seminar and thankfully it was not high pressure sale tactics. We were considering membership up until the point when we were going for a swim in the pool. There was a sign stating "no unattended children in the Pool, yet there was 3 in the Pool (aged 5-9) When we brought this to the attention of Management, they said, no issue it's up to the Parents. We said No problem, no enforced rules, no membership and we left.
Old 08-09-2014, 10:16 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
You have to look at where they are at compared to where you want to go. Research the parks where you want to go to see if they are to your standards. Over where we are at we would never have stayed at the park that is near where Thom is working at the moment. There were people that had more stuff outside around their RV's and well it was a general mess. Fast forward a year and new management that has actually gotten rid of those that were making the park a mess, they are fixing the electric problems (just old stuff really) and generally cleaning and fixing things. Now we have a zone membership that will not renew unless we want it to next year. They have asked if we wanted to change to an "Elite" (lifetime) membership but I don't see that happening. Who knows what next year will bring so we will just continue to evaluate if we want to stay members or not every year.
Old 08-09-2014, 11:37 AM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
Well, looks like I'll be on the opposite side of the coin here. We've been members for over 30 years and we like the system. It has had its ups and downs, but it has survived and is generally in good shape. It is not like it was 30 years ago, but what is -- markets change.

We are in the west and there are several preserves and we make use of them for several days. In fact, by being members we have managed to keep our nightly camping costs at around $10/night. This allows us to be on the road and not go broke paying camping fees.

If you use the system it is well worth it. I would investigate buying a "used" membership and see how it fits your travel expectations. I've followed your thread on full-timing and you may find that this fits into a manageable camping plan for you and your wife.

Nick
traveler of california is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 12:59 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted E View Post
. . . snip . . . We said No problem, no enforced rules, no membership and we left.
That would keep you from almost everywhere nowadays!
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 04:03 PM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for all your comments!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 04:19 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
My neighbor and traveling friend is a member of TT. The pictures he has shown me of the parks he "travels by" are noting but dirt parking lots. After seeing his travel journals we did not join.

I put a pencil to it...his annual membership would pay for 40 nights of a nice paved RV park. Most of the TT he stays at are 25+ miles from the activities, so that is 50 miles round trip at $4.00 a gallon for gas, I couldn't see the savings. JMO
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 05:35 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We are members. The newer zone program. If the locations work for you and are of satisfactory condition, fit and finish, etc. Then it can Bea good deal. We often stay at the Thousand Trails Morgan Hill, Ca., and enjoy it very much.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 08:25 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
We heard that new owners changed the rules anyone can stay at the Tt
Grounds ??
Any updates? we didn't stay much
Did not like lack of dumps and
One near by was closed all the time
Lionheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 11:16 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ok don't want to get to deep into this question! I have Thousand Trails and have used it while traveling through the USA. Yes the parks are older. The new zone memberships are worth it if you use it! Depending on you area 15 to 20 days will make it pay for itself. My plan gives me unlimited days but I must move either every 2 or 3 weeks. In Calif or Florida I spend the winter for the only cost of diesel to move. During the last year I have used over 140 days in over 36 parks from Calif to the East Coast. No/ not a full timer just have happy feet!

As far as the public access: they are last on the reservation list. Years ago TT gave away free gifts and free nights to listen to a sales pitch. Now they charge the public to come in then contact them to get the pitch.

TT works if you use it! Zone memberships are a non long term commitment to decide if it works for you! If you decide to buy check craigslist or other web sites to find sales. We got our original membership free from a older member who just wanted to walk away. We have since upgraded to Elite.
LEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 06:39 AM   #14

Thor Owners Club
If I were considering a TT membership I would find the names of 6 TT parks and run them through rvparkreviews. I've heard comments that the parks are older and tired. Or aren't close to activities. To me its like a time share and you keep on paying for it. I don't want to be restricted to what park I go to irregardless if its "tired" or not. So for me I don't have an interest in being tied down to using something that may or may not meet my standard.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote