RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2019, 07:07 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRum View Post
Donít most Thousand Trails have a overflow dry camping area?... How does that work?... Can you show up without a reservation and park in the dry camp area for a day or two until a slot opens up?...

I'm not sure that's a thing at many of the parks we've visited. They normally have some less desirable sites or non-operational sites but I've never seen then stick someone in one just because they needed a spot.

We were in one of their parks in MI and there were 2 spots that were right next to the check-in building that we were put into but I think they booked those out those like regular spots. It was technically considered overflow and we knew we were moving but I think they let someone extend their stay and that's why they had to be used (they weren't spots that you could just pick). They were both full-hookup sites.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2019, 07:32 AM   #16

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRum View Post
Donít most Thousand Trails have a overflow dry camping area?... How does that work?... Can you show up without a reservation and park in the dry camp area for a day or two until a slot opens up?...

have never seen this at any parks we visit. there is a large parking lot at check in, so i guess you could park there.

the big problem now is the PUBLIC has access, yes they pay the going local rate or higher, but they also eat up spots we as members paid to have through our dues and buy in.

lake conroe is an excellent park with lots of spots, however its slim pickings to get a spot. they have lots of LONG term spot leases, and you cannot reserve a particular spot, so you drive around trying to find a spot. its toss of dice if you catch a great spot occupant leaving. this has been a real issue. if you are a member you can set up on ANY spot, so a pop up tent can be found found often on a 50 amp large site, while the smaller 30 amp sites sit empty. lake medina has a huge problem with the little 12 foot pod things on large sites with 50 amp. 50 amp sites are not very plentiful, they are rare at many parks with maybe 10% of sites having 50 amps. they even have tent only sites...but that means you can only set up a tent on those sites. it does not mandate that tents cannot set up on large 50 amp sites. they will ask you to move, but the rules prevent any actual actions past that.

frankly, tt used to be a pretty good thing. now its horrible. if you complain about long term lease spots that are not members, they tell you they are not renewing these as they expire , this is a false hood, as they renew and proudly post sites available. they even do winter texan deals that allow you to rent a site as a non member at great prices per month for a 3 month term.

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 07:48 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerboatr View Post
the big problem now is the PUBLIC has access, yes they pay the going local rate or higher, but they also eat up spots we as members paid to have through our dues and buy in.
I have been told directly by campground staff and by reservation agents that each TT location has a fixed maximum number of reservations available to non-members. True, they don't make those available to members. And vice versa: Once those public reservations are booked, no more are available.

Face it, they do need to be able to get non-members in so they can sell them memberships!

Having said that, I am seeing a much larger number of seasonal sites being sold in the TT locations we go to, and that DOES frustrate me.

Roger
Old 09-11-2019, 08:58 AM   #18

A lot of the TT CG that I have stayed at are not all that big and a lot of the sites they had were long term already, so it makes it harder to expect a site that will fit the requirements you desire. In FL there are 3 TT CGs and after Nov and until May you will be hard pressed to find a spot for any length of time. A lot of memberships have 60 or 90 day advanced reservations so people are booking another 2 week stay the day they arrive. You can only stay 2 weeks at a high use CD at a time. You can't have more than 2 stays booked at a time in high use areas - so it becomes a "job" for TT users in high use areas to have a site to stay in during the winter here.
That being said, I heard that people walk into TT CGs and pay for a 3 month stay to get them through the winter. So there is another way to tie up sites.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 09:07 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKins View Post
A lot of memberships have 60 or 90 day advanced reservations so people are booking another 2 week stay the day they arrive. You can only stay 2 weeks at a high use CD at a time.
This is not totally correct. If you have a membership that only allows you a maximum 2 week stay (like mine), you must then be OUT for 7 days before your next reservation in any TT location.

I suspect you may also be thinking of *holiday* reservations. My membership allows only one holiday reservation on the books at a time, but I can make a new holiday reservation the moment I check in with the current reservation. For example, I cannot make advance reservations for both Memorial Day and July 4, but I can make a July 4 reservation as soon as I check in for Memorial Day.

Their current "Elite" membership packages have different rules, most of which allow you to go park-to-park, along with longer advance reservation windows.

Roger
Old 09-11-2019, 09:35 AM   #20

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkresge View Post
This is not totally correct. If you have a membership that only allows you a maximum 2 week stay (like mine), you must then be OUT for 7 days before your next reservation in any TT location.

I suspect you may also be thinking of *holiday* reservations. My membership allows only one holiday reservation on the books at a time, but I can make a new holiday reservation the moment I check in with the current reservation. For example, I cannot make advance reservations for both Memorial Day and July 4, but I can make a July 4 reservation as soon as I check in for Memorial Day.

Their current "Elite" membership packages have different rules, most of which allow you to go park-to-park, along with longer advance reservation windows.

Roger

we have to leave for 7 days as well after 14. median has a huge amount "seasonal sites" they sell for winter and of course all those folks took the 50 amp sites and left everyone else with less than three with 50 amps and they were really ponds or deer excrement areas. it was horrible.

this park used to be practiaclly empty year round and they had ample time to fix all the broken 50 amp sites and the washed out 30 amp sites and maybe remove dead trees .
now with water back in the lake, its full to capacity almost all the time. but it shows hundreds of open sites online, thats because all the broken sites are still used to show as open sites. terrible management, at medina changes what feels like every 6 months and the new folks always are "on it" to get things fixed, but it never happens.

Old 09-11-2019, 11:05 AM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:

Again, not entirely true - our membership allows us to go from park to park. After 14 days we must vacate THAT park, but we can drive right to another park and spend 14 days there, then return to the first park, and so on. Other memberships do, indeed, mandate that the user be "out of the system" after a 14 day stay - the bottom line: you need to read your contract!
Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 11:35 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Hepburn View Post
Again, not entirely true - our membership allows us to go from park to park. After 14 days we must vacate THAT park, but we can drive right to another park and spend 14 days there, then return to the first park, and so on. Other memberships do, indeed, mandate that the user be "out of the system" after a 14 day stay - the bottom line: you need to read your contract!
Which is what I was pointing out. Different membership levels have different rules. I assume you have either an Elite, or a much older contract that you've had for a while or purchased on the "used" market.

AFAIK the current Camping Pass has no "park to park" option, and limits your stay to 14 days max. IIRC, the 7 days out requirement triggers after you have been in a TT park for 4 nights.

As you say, know your contract.

Roger
Old 09-11-2019, 12:35 PM   #23

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Which is what I was pointing out. Different membership levels have different rules. I assume you have either an Elite, or a much older contract that you've had for a while or purchased on the "used" market.

AFAIK the current Camping Pass has no "park to park" option, and limits your stay to 14 days max. IIRC, the 7 days out requirement triggers after you have been in a TT park for 4 nights.

As you say, know your contract.

Roger
and as we read, tt just sent me renewal for ten years.....park to park 21 days in zero out, if you go to another park,

120 reservation window.
call for price says no camping fees, does this include dumping the 3 dollar a night 50 amp fee? may have to call.
bet its over 5k.
have to pass on that

Old 09-11-2019, 12:47 PM   #24

Quote:
and as we read, tt just sent me renewal for ten years.....park to park 21 days in zero out, if you go to another park,

120 reservation window.
call for price says no camping fees, does this include dumping the 3 dollar a night 50 amp fee? may have to call.
bet its over 5k.
have to pass on that

It'll be pretty close to $5k. We upgraded early this year and it was maybe a little less than that. They have a chart that they look up your current member number and it tells them the upgrade fee (it varies based on this). They're in a big push to get everyone on a like contract and not have so many different ones out there. The 50A fee is park based and you'd still pay that (we just left Vegas).

Our first membership was 14 days in 7 out with a 90 day booking window. We added the Trails Collection in 2017 when it came out. We were able to use that as our out week for nearly 2 years until Jan 2019 when that was (in their words) "fixed" (we think they just had too many people doing it) so we upgraded to a new 21 day park-to-park with a 180 day booking window and left on the Trails Collection since we are in FL.
Old 09-11-2019, 12:49 PM   #25

We have the Elite membership. With it we get 3 weeks in park and park to park. We also get to make reservations 120 days out. With this member ship is how we are going to travel this winter, we have reservations now up to the end of January at TT parks.
As far as seasonal we have one in Wilmington, before this year we lived 120 miles away from the park. It was a game to get a reservation and find a spot when we would get here on Friday night, around 7 pm, to get a spot. So we went and paid the extra for a seasonal. Now since we full time, since this summer, we will use Wilmington as our home park and still have the seasonal here next year.
What is making a difference, here in Wilmington, as far as seasonal spots are the Zone Pass.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/ 4:10 rearend
2016 E-Z-Go Golf Cart 2 Dachshunds DJ & Joey
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 01:00 PM   #26

Quote:

120 reservation window.
bet its over 5k.
have to pass on that
Our was right at 5K upgraded November 2017, like it was stated depends on your previous membership.
No the 50 amp upgrade fee is still in effect at certain parks.
If you are going to use it allot, it is worth the cost. But if it is only a few times a year no it is not.
We have had a membership since 2003, now upgrading to the Elite we do plan on using it more. For example November, December, January we will be in TT parks 12 weeks total. Total cost is $29.00, we are using our "extend a week in a park for $29.00 fee" to get an extra 4th week at Medina Lake.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/ 4:10 rearend
2016 E-Z-Go Golf Cart 2 Dachshunds DJ & Joey
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 04:13 PM   #27

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamm2018 View Post
Our was right at 5K upgraded November 2017, like it was stated depends on your previous membership.
No the 50 amp upgrade fee is still in effect at certain parks.
If you are going to use it allot, it is worth the cost. But if it is only a few times a year no it is not.
We have had a membership since 2003, now upgrading to the Elite we do plan on using it more. For example November, December, January we will be in TT parks 12 weeks total. Total cost is $29.00, we are using our "extend a week in a park for $29.00 fee" to get an extra 4th week at Medina Lake.
we really liked medina lake. until they went crazy with long term, or winter long terms. the loop up front was or is the best on for 50 amps sites. they kept telling us the GREAT sites across the street that are long and have 50 amp but no sewer were to get upgraded to sewer for our years in a row, did it happen

Old 09-11-2019, 06:37 PM   #28

Quote:

Roger
This what I'm talking about - you have a membership and it has rules and privileges but in high use areas, like FL in the winter, your rules change. My Elite membership has 3 weeks in, park to park with 180 days reservation window but in the winter down here, the rules change to 2 weeks in and then park to park with no more than 2 TT rez in the que at a time, in high use areas.

In the off season here (May-Nov) I can book both labor day and Memorial day as long as I stay within the 180 day window. I don't have an "out" time frame, it's park to park. There are a lot of creative memberships out there that can be found from the days of high pressure sales like Time Share sales. The original memberships were very expensive, my Sis and BIL have maybe $10k in TT over the years and their Elite is different than mine.

As for my membership, I lucked out and met a couple while camping that had a step sister that wanted to sell her membership. She had inherited it from her Dad but they had no RV. I scored it for $1250. with no transfer fees.

'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote