Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2013, 08:24 PM   #85

My husband and I are in our early 40's. We bought our first travel trailer last May. So far we've gone to the Black Hills, San Antonio, and Austin Texas on two vacations, and we're planning another trip to Washington DC over our kindergarteners spring break. We've also taken a few weekend trips. We'll have towed the camper 7,000 miles by the time we get back from DC.

We started out with a F-150 ecoboost as a tow vehicle, but we had trouble getting the hitch dialed in. We took the rig to the scale, and found out that the truck's payload was maxed out. We bit the bullet, and bought a new F-350 diesel for our trip to Texas. Now we're trying to solve our filling up too often problem, but I think my husband has found a way to upgrade the tank size.

I have to say that it's been an adventure so far, and I'm looking forward to even more adventures.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2013, 11:30 PM   #86

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks. Great blog!

Old 01-25-2013, 07:55 AM   #87

Judging by your location, you are down here with my husband (Turkey Point). Is this only rig you have had? We cant decide if we want to jump in and do the motorhome thing, or start out with Fver? Either way, our brand new truck has to go (sad face) as I didnt do enough research before buying it. Do you have any problems getting in and out of spots with your motorhome? Are you parking it in homestead or down here in the Keys? We are staying in Key Largo, and when I went to look at some spots, they looked TIGHT! lol Would love to meet and pick your brain dry- lol I am sure your schedule is as crazy as my husbands, but he is off weekends right now so if you are available give us a shout, maybe meet for a beer at GIlberts or something? Safe travels!
Old 01-27-2013, 03:41 AM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpettibon View Post
Judging by your location, you are down here with my husband (Turkey Point). Is this only rig you have had? We cant decide if we want to jump in and do the motorhome thing, or start out with Fver? Either way, our brand new truck has to go (sad face) as I didnt do enough research before buying it. Do you have any problems getting in and out of spots with your motorhome? Are you parking it in homestead or down here in the Keys? We are staying in Key Largo, and when I went to look at some spots, they looked TIGHT! lol Would love to meet and pick your brain dry- lol I am sure your schedule is as crazy as my husbands, but he is off weekends right now so if you are available give us a shout, maybe meet for a beer at GIlberts or something? Safe travels!

HOWDY! Yes, I'm at Turkey Point.
The MH is the only rig I have, house in Texas tho. This is my first RV and never did the 5th wheel thing. I already owned a Jeep so it was a no brainer for me. Didn't want to have to buy a big truck and trailer. It's a big MH for a first timer but I love it, and it's not hard to drive.

Getting in and out of spots is not too hard. I just take my time, use the three backup cams it has, and get out and look whenever unsure.

I'm parked in Homestead (Southern Comfort), about 10 min from the plant. Picking my brain would be fine, and there are a few other friends that are at my campground that tow 5vers so you could get opinions from both sides. There is a tiki bar in the campground so we could meet up there for a drink. I'm no veterain but, I do know most of the little things that will mess you up (as a newbie) if you do go the MH route. Nothing bad, just feel like a bonehead afterwards. HAHA.

Send me a private message and we'll set something up.
TxSkye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:15 AM   #89

Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm 59 and a government contractor. About 3 more years until I can retire. I have had my RV about 4 months now and have managed to take it out one weekend a month for each of those months (This is in VA even in the winter). My game plan is to use this rig for weekend camping and a week long trip each year until I retire. After that, who knows, I may even live in it.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:25 AM   #90

I'm 37 with two young boys -- 4 and 7. DW travelled with us until she passed at 35 years old after a 3 year battle with cancer... (two years ago) I rented twice before buying my 2002 Itasca Horizon 39QD in 2009. (diesel pusher) Bought it with about 25K miles and now have over 67K miles.

Every year since 2008 we run on the Hot Rod Power Tour - over 3-4000 classic and muscle cars roaming the country for a week. The boys were just 6 months and 2 years old when we started. They love it!

So now I'm planning this summer's travels and also on the hunt for a wife. :-)

Travelling with young boys and no co-pilot is tough.

I have no plans to quit travelling anytime soon - in fact I'd like to get out on the road more!

I do run my own business - designing and installing sound/video systems. I mostly work in churches - and that has brought me from Santa Fe, NM to Salt Lake City, UT to Boseman, MT to Tulsa, OK to Loudon, TN to Tampa, FL and a few other places.

We have also vacationed in it -- South Padre, Arizona, Disney in Orlando...

I LOVE the lifestyle and am itching to hit the road!

I'd also really enjoy to connect with other younger RV'ers

When the DW and I had a pop-up camper we hooked up with a popup group and I still "camp" with them in my rolling hilton hotel (as they now call it) -- but they are a fun group. We do two rallies a year and a winter potluck. (too cold here in MN to use a pop-up this time of year)
Old 01-28-2013, 12:32 PM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaPeach View Post
My husband and I purchased our first RV (43' Newmar) last May. We live in Atlanta, but dealt with a dealer in Minnesota. After picking our beautiful new coach, we set out (with our 3 shelties in tow) to take a long trip out west to meet people and experience what we hoped would be an exciting adventure in our RV. Although we loved our new coach, we were a bit disappointed in many of the RV parks we stayed in, and with many of the other RVers we met on our 3 month trip. We are a young, active couple that enjoys sporting events, entertainment, and doing things. Unfortunately, while most of the people we met were very nice, ALL (with the exception of one couple we met) were older--if not in age, in spirit--, cliquish, and very "set in their ways". Most were on multiple pharmaceuticals and tethered to their doctors at home. Most were "early to bed", and seemed to prefer hibernating in their coach or going to the local restaurant to eat and drink coffee to getting out and doing fun activities. Both my husband and I felt like we were caught in a "generation gap". All of these people seemed to have one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel. Many were having to contemplate selling their coaches due to medical problems. At one of the get-togethers we went to, they were actually discussing having a line item in their club budget to send flowers for "member deaths or deaths of members' spouses"!
We SO much want to find a YOUNGER group of people to travel with but are totally stumped as to how to find these people. We KNOW we can't be the ONLY ones out there that feel this way!! Does ANYBODY have any suggestions?
I know what you mean when I had our HR we joined a group they were the nicest people but most were twice our age. They had more passing away than joining.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:21 PM   #92

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I really like this thread for non-retired RVrs, so interesting to see all the folks on here and the postings from the younger/non retired people.

I also love to be in the fellowship of folks who are retired. In fact I am drawn to folks that no longer have to serve the four letter word (work) with their lives, whatever the age.

Maybe its because, as my Mother told me as a kid, 'You were born 30 years old' (That would make me 80 now )

Happy travels to all!
Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:47 AM   #93

IMHO, this has to be one of the best one threads on here! My wife and I are in our mid 30's with 2 boys...4and 7. We are on our 2nd MH. We upgraded to a 2008 damon Challenger 38' bunkhouse. I grew up with camping DW did not, but she fell in love with it quickly. We have been up and down the east coast and Disney several times...possibly again this year. I work on call as I am an engineer for a class 1 railroad. In our travels we did find younger campers seem to be few and far between. But have met quite a few campers on both sides of the age spectrum and have had a blast. We choose the RV lifestyle because I believe its the best for family time you don't get at home, best way for the kiddos to see this beautiful country of ours, and it seems the fast paced lifestyle disappears when we are in the MH. Happy travels to everyone...
pacevette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:23 AM   #94

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jdoc
I have just looked through all 7 pages of this thread and did not see where even one of the powers that be have responded to this thread. Last week a member wanted to start a new thread for people with disabilities. It was shot down so faster that it might as well had not been suggested. So, don't get your hopes up about anything happening with this request either.

Jerry
jdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:07 AM   #95
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Old enough to have moved through tents, to pop-top, to Travel Trailer, to Class A.

But, young enough to still be working and we volunteer large amounts of time with a non-profit K9 rescue:
www.sunnysaints.org.

The RV gives us a vacation cabin everywhere we have enjoyed visiting. And, since we prefer to travel by ground and with our pups vs. airline, the cost is often less than if we did not have the RV.

While there is no separate catagory or "sticky' for handicapped RVing, there is a L-O-N-G thread here:
Handicap RV information page????

There's no shame in lacking moderator posts...just keep posting and share your experiences. Me thinks, that's what this forum was created for.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:40 AM   #96

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaPeach View Post
We SO much want to find a YOUNGER group of people to travel with but are totally stumped as to how to find these people. We KNOW we can't be the ONLY ones out there that feel this way!! Does ANYBODY have any suggestions?
I put a couple of links for you in an earlier post, but in case you missed it I'd recommend joining this group:
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref...roups/NuRVers/

We've met lots of younger folks thro' that spot. Met 2 young (mid 30's) airstream couples in Yuma last week and had a small gathering of 4 rigs here in Q this week. Technomadia just had a gathering of younger RVers over in FL in Cedar Key this past month too. Always a group going to burning man too.

Nina
Old 01-29-2013, 01:42 PM   #97

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Old enough to have moved through tents, to pop-top, to Travel Trailer, to Class A.

But, young enough to still be working and we volunteer large amounts of time with a non-profit K9 rescue:
www.sunnysaints.org.

The RV gives us a vacation cabin everywhere we have enjoyed visiting. And, since we prefer to travel by ground and with our pups vs. airline, the cost is often less than if we did not have the RV.

While there is no separate catagory or "sticky' for handicapped RVing, there is a L-O-N-G thread here:
Handicap RV information page????

There's no shame in lacking moderator posts...just keep posting and share your experiences. Me thinks, that's what this forum was created for.

Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:22 PM   #98

Valentines Day will mark our 32 years of marriage. I'm 65 and my wife is...well younger. We both work fulltime for the time being. We have a Chahuahua that likes to travel with us. We take 3 long trip during the year and several weekends a month to nearby lakes just to get out of town.

We have a 42 ft 2011 Newmar Dutch Star and toad is a 2011 Honda CRV with the M&G Engineering braking system.