Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-13-2013, 12:48 AM   #1
Thread for younger non-retired RVers.

Hi All!

No offense to the retired population, but I wanted to start a thread for the younger group of RVers that use theirs for work and or weekend trips.

I'm 31 and live in mine 6-8 months a year traveling with my job. This is my first season living the RV life while working etc. Hopefully will be seeing a couple months off this summer and plan to enjoy short trips to the lake/coast/festivals/parties/etc. in Texas when I am home.

What kind of fun stuff are you doing with yours?
What kind of work do you do that you need one?
Post a pic or you and your RV!

Skye, Burleson TX
2012 Jeep Wranger in tow.
TxSkye is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2013, 12:53 AM   #2
I'll start:
I work for an engineering firm that does specialized maintenance on nuclear reactors. They send me around the country to plants when they are in outage for anywhere from 30 to 120 days at each place.

Haven't had a chance for any mini-vacations yet but am really looking forward to down time and short trips around Texas. Chili cook-offs, music festivals, etc.

Skye, Burleson TX
Old 01-13-2013, 02:15 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
GM for a Material Testing and Engineering company. My region is Alaska and the lower 48 Chicago and east.

Nuclear plants is one of our markets as well as oil/gas, chemical, power generation, etc...

I enjoy using my RV - my bed, my bath, my refrigerator, my etc...
US Navy Vet, Liberty Tree Member of Oath Keepers, NRA & VFW Life Member, Alaska EMT.
2009 Safari Cheetah 40 SKQ
2009 Winnebago Chalet 231CR
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:27 AM   #4
Same here, my bed etc. Plus when it's time to go to work just start it up and drive. No loading or packing and no BS and the airports. Also the trip home must be fun when the project is over. I'm still waiting for that.
Skye, Burleson TX
Old 01-13-2013, 03:29 AM   #5
I'm an independent contractor that performs Oracle Applications software implementations.

I started using my motorhome as my remote base camp - for lack of a better term - about a year ago. I find I like having my own stuff close by when working on one of my projects. The project typically run 7 to 12 months depending on complexity.

I setup the RV in a campground relatively close to the client site, but I typically will fly back home on the weekends to be with the family only using the RV during the week. Yeah... I'm still flying a lot, but I don't have to lug my clothes back and forth.

There are a couple issues with using my MH as remote base camp. 1) I find it difficult to do maintenance work on the RV. The KOA I was in last year wouldn't even let me wash it onsite. I had to drive 50 miles to the nearest Blue Beacon Truck Wash to get it cleaned. 2) the MH is not at home on the weekends for the family to use if we decide we want to.

Even with the downsides I still prefer staying in my motorhome to staying in a hotel.

Here's a picture of my rig at Zion NP. Family vacation, not work.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2868129782.jpg
Views:	714
Size:	553.4 KB
ID:	31874

... And me messing around at Epcot. Again, vacation not work.

Name:	image-179164478.jpg
Views:	695
Size:	542.9 KB
ID:	31875
vtwinwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:28 AM   #6
Information Security Engineer, I stay in the MH during the week and drive home on weekends or she drives out depending on what we're doing. We try and take off for 3-4 day outings as much as possible, did four days at the beach for Thanksgiving. During the summer months it's generally at the lake with family at least twice a month.
2006 37' Damon Astoria DP 3595 Pacific Edition
2013 Honda CR-V EX-L AWD
Ozzy & Morgan - mini Dachshunds
Razzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:42 AM   #7
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Active Navy here. I have been living in my rig now over a year in New Orleans as I am upside down on my "stick house" and could not move without a huge financial hit. Two more years on this tour then I may just retire. NOLA is horrible on the finish, When I brought the rig down here it looked brand new, now, even with regular washing I am constantly fighting exterior mold/mildew. Can't wait to get her back to Memphis where I will spend days/weeks trying to restore her finish.
2003 Winne Adventurer, Ford F53 V-10. Toad:1992 S-10, Stowmaster Towbar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system and Protect-a-Tow. Right is right even if no one is doing it; Wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it--St Augustine of Hippo. Navy AD.
navychaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:57 AM   #8

Paintless Dent Repair technician. The wife and I travel around following the aftermath of big hail storms. We work for local body shops or retail PDR companies. Worked a storm for as short as 6 hours and as long as 10 months.

We spend between 6-9 months on the road. In between storms we try to see as much as we can. Sometimes it's the gulf coast, sometimes it the ocean.
2013 DSDP 4347, all electric, 450 H.P. ISL
Air & hydraulic leveling
14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland toad
PDR John is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:58 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
6 years till retirement

Just for fun and relaxing around the country
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC06569.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	348.3 KB
ID:	31897  
2000 Newmar MADP 4060, 350ISC, Spartan MM, IFS 2011 Jeep JK, M&G Braking, 2014 MTI 27' Hog Hauler, Wireless brake control, 2006Ultra & 1989 Springer
palehorse89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:29 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
DW is an accountant, me a network engineer. We use the motorhome for relaxation and fun. Long weekends about once a month with friends and family at locations within a couple three hours drive. Once or twice a year for a 1-2 week vacation and further distances. Have Jeep and go off-roading in the Socal deserts and mountains.
Vince and Susan
2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH (Cummins ISC/Freightliner)
Flat towing a modified 2005 Jeep (Rubicon Wrangler)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:00 AM   #11
Not young but not old either,still working we are part time weekend Rving people.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-2951158406.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	177.2 KB
ID:	31904  
2007 Fleetwood Revolution LE 40V
Tha_Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:07 AM   #12
Send a message via Skype™ to adehaan86
I think we should post our age too?

Im 26 married and three kids. I am on my third rv truck camper travel trailer and now fifth wheel.

We try to go as much as checkbooks allow.
2009 Dodge ram 2500 Cummins Mega Cab
1999 R29RL King of the road.
3 kids and a beautiful wife.
adehaan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:33 AM   #13
Tiffin Owners Club
41 and my wife is 40, we'll have had our coach for one year this February....we've taken 7 trips this past year; 2 NASCAR races, 1 Indy race, 1 tubing trip on the Guadalupe, 1 Tough Mudder race and 2 long weekends. We were talking last night that we should take her out more, but wih three kids and two very full time jobs, I think 7 trips and over 3500 miles is pretty good! Our '06 Tiffin gasser is the perfect coach for us right now.

Only mod is a $3k stereo and entertainment system we had installed in two of the passenger side bays.

We can't wait to have more time to travel more and upgrade to a nice diesel pusher....I've been looking at the new Entegras, they sure are nice!
Justen & Kelly
Mico, TX
2006 Tiffin Allegro Bay 37DB
TxRVMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:22 PM   #14
I'm 36,,,,OK I'm lying, I'm actually 49 and I work on the farm my dad purchased years ago and it is now managed by my older brother. I have a 20 foot TT and use it every weekend in the summer. It gets to cold to use it around here in the winter but, I made it out last year in both March and November. Farm work means I stay busy in the spring and the fall and have a lot of free time the rest of the year for weekend or 3 day camping trips. I never really am planing to retire.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_0191 1993 cobra sunrise.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	302.1 KB
ID:	31911  

Caveman CBB is offline   Reply With Quote