Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2012, 02:31 PM   #15

Entegra Owners Club
That is what we did and I think it was the right way to go. Bought a 17 year old MH and used it for 5 years. Traded the 22 year old in for a 5 yr old MH.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2012, 03:45 PM   #16

A good quality but older RV that has been well-maintained sounds like a good plan to me. I've sworn off buying any type of new vehicle (cars/trucks/RVs/golf carts?) because of the significant depreciation hits in the early years of ownership.

ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 03:46 PM   #17

We started motorhoming 43 years ago. We were not sure we'd like it so we rented a small class A for a week and enjoyed it thoroughly. There weren't many used coaches in those days so we thought about a while and finally bought a new 20' Winnebago. Currently we have a 37' Allegro Bay--no regrets.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:24 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman8
Get one you like and can enjoy. Don't worry about the money, we all loose with these babies but as long as you can afford the loss go for it. Life is to short, remember, you are older today than you have ever been so live a little and be safe.
I agree....in my totally unscientifically, verified by no one research, it seems to me that new MH's depreciate by around 50% in the first 5yrs. This makes a 5yr old unit a pretty good deal, since most of the glitches & problems have been worked-out by the first owner.

The second owner will probably see around 30% depreciation in the next 5yrs....but wait...the second owner will also probably be stuck with buying new tires, new batteries, if lucky minor drivetrain and/or suspension repairs ( if unlucky...ouch), upgrades to TV's & entertainment goodies ( new HD satellite system). Things can add-up pretty quick to the point where the second owner doesn't come out all that much further ahead than the first owner!

Clearly the big winner is the third owner who gets the +10yr old rig for 20% of new.....but wait...the third owner will have all the second owner expenses (new tires, batteries, minor repairs, etc) ...plus....new awnings, slide toppers, furniture recovering, faded paint & decals, belts, hoses, seals and quite likely some "major" repairs. Once again things add-up real quick to the point that even the third owner may not becoming out all that much ahead of owner 1 or 2!

RV's.....pay me now or pay me later.
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 06:38 PM   #19

You'd have a lot more at risk with a new one then subsequently not enjoying the experience. I think you are on the right path to buy used. Personally, even down the road, I would still select a "new to me" well taken care of one over factory new. I'd rather someone else take the 0-2 yr depreciation hit.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:16 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
[QUOTE=Jack1234;1279411]I agree....in my totally unscientifically, verified by no one research, it seems to me that new MH's depreciate by around 50% in the first 5yrs. This makes a 5yr old unit a pretty good deal, since most of the glitches & problems have been worked-out by the first owner.

The second owner will probably see around 30% depreciation in the next 5yrs....but wait...the second owner will also probably be stuck with buying new tires, new batteries, if lucky minor drivetrain and/or suspension repairs ( if unlucky...ouch), upgrades to TV's & entertainment goodies ( new HD satellite system). Things can add-up pretty quick to the point where the second owner doesn't come out all that much further ahead than the first owner!

Clearly the big winner is the third owner who gets the +10yr old rig for 20% of new.....but wait...the third owner will have all the second owner expenses (new tires, batteries, minor repairs, etc) ...plus....new awnings, slide toppers, furniture recovering, faded paint & decals, belts, hoses, seals and quite likely some "major" repairs. Once again things add-up real quick to the point that even the third owner may not becoming out all that much ahead of owner 1 or 2!

RV's.....pay me now or pay me later.[/QUOTE}

That assumes the first 2 owners care about the rigs...lol. Everyone I know thats ever bought a "new" motorhome or RV has suffered unbelivable depreciation. My one friend had a beater dually he used to tow his 5th wheel home... then realized that used diesel rigs are expensive and he couldnt afford a newer truck to match is 5th wheel. So he was stuck just using it in a 100 mile radius since he is "overloaded" and cant even get 1/4 of his $65k he spent on the 5er back.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:30 PM   #21

Do you really think everyone is suffering 75% depreciation on new rigs in the first 5yrs. I'm not disputing your theory, but I haven't seen a lot of 2007/08 rigs where people "paid" $300k ....and are now selling for $75k. With today's Dealer discount(s) that would be close to a $400k (MSRP) Rig, going for $75k. If you're right, I way overpaid for my MH.
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 10:46 PM   #22

I think I will take the other point of view. Older RV come with wear and tear problems. If the little things that nickel and dime you will bug you, or if you will need to call the "shop" to fix things, you may sour on RVing real quick. Jacks, window shades, dump valves, water pumps, air conditioners, engine belts, are all simple things that wear with time. Then there are the big things, like engines, transmissions, refrigerators, which can become real enjoyment busters.
Nothing wrong with getting a pre-owned unit, but 10 or 12 years, really!
I personally would start with a newer (recent model) RV perhaps smaller, easier to handle, and perhaps not the perfect floor plan...but very close.
JMHO and another point of view.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:54 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
Short answer, we did it. 12 years old diesel pusher, one owner looked well maintained, and car fax it! We did, had a couple of surprises, but still VERY happy!
We did the same thing. Bought a 96 Southwind pusher w/290HP Cummins. Paid 22K and drove it a year and sold it for 23K. It helped us determine what we wanted and didn't want in the new rig we bought in 07. I feel it's a very wise move.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 12:42 AM   #24

I purchased a 1984 Vogue II and am very pleased still just has 44000 miles on it don't think I would trade it for a new one.. Built very well.. Had to do a little work on it without much cost. Most of the work my husband and I could do... Happy RV'ing!!
Old 08-18-2012, 01:26 AM   #25
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you can do more than just minor repairs yourself, I'd say go for it. If you will have to pay someone to work on it, I would suggest you look a much newer unit. RV service techs cost $85- $115/hour or more.

Make sure the tires are less than 5 years old. Even with good tread, old tires are dangerous and a replacement set is not cheap.

Have fun!
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 02:24 AM   #26

Florida Cooters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I think you have the right idea and it is also what we did. I don't know your financial situatuon or what type of coach your looking for, but we are far from wealthy and travel with 4 kids, so we wanted one that wouldn't make us freak out if a cabinet got scratched or got kool-aid on the carpet.

We looked for a couple of months with a budget of about 15k. We found a lot of pigs in that range with delamination and leak issues, but kept looking. (The worst units were from dealers) Then we came across a 30ft '94 Fleetwood Flair class A (454 gas, 42,000k miles) and picked it up for $4500 from a 8k asking price. The owner had past away and the son (in his 60's) was selling it, so to him it was still a good deal. It had been sitting for a bit and was faded, but it cleaned up very well. We put 6 new tires ($1200) and a new fridge in it ($1200, wish I knew about the amish fix back then), resealed the roof for $100, and a few bulbs and knick-knacks for another couple of hundred. We then drove the heck out of the thing and loved it. We put over 30k on it in 3 yrs incl. a trip to Alaska from Florida! We sold a little over 3 yrs later for $6500, so I think we did pretty good. We would have spent more than that on renting an RV for our 6 week Alaska trip.

During the time we owned it, we learned more about what we wanted and didn't want in our next coach (slides, bigger bathroom, etc.), which made upgrading to our current one much easier (see signature). I also learned more about the systems and their quirks, which gave me more confidence in making our next purchase.

As long as you have a few mechanical skills and have a decent head on your shoulders, maintaining an RV isn't really all that bad. If your mechanically clueless and not the sharpest knife in drawer, you will need a fatter wallet.

Have fun looking and let us all know what you decide on. There is a world of knowledge on this site and many fellow RV'ers who will be glad to help you out.
Jason
windydaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 03:48 PM   #27

Tiffin Owners Club
Whatever the decision you make be sure you and your significant other are in total agreement. Don't overstate what the result will be, the time frame involved, or understate the possible expenses. If they expect taking the kids camping next summer and your project is continuing to grow while the dollars are getting bigger, they will not be Happy Campers.
Remember, if you have a family, every hour you spend on your project will be time away from the family. I personally have no desire to purchase anything I can't use in a short period of time. I will piddle with it but I pay someone else to do the time consuming projects.
I now look at everything in my life like this. Whatever decision you make, I wish you the best of luck.
Old 08-18-2012, 04:14 PM   #28

It's a great way to figure out what you want/don't want. Our first rv was a 1986 Allegro Bay motorhome. It was perfect to find out what we need in an rv and see if it was something we would use and enjoy. It turns out we LOVE camping! We recently purchased a 2010 travel travel and put on a permanent site (due to work schedules).

We still have our motorhome...parked at the house! I'm having a hard time parting with it. I still love it! We are home tonight (instead of staying at our permanent site), we will probably stay in the motorhome tonight instead of the house! LOL

Good luck in your search! Hope you find a great deal!
Happy Camping!!

heyaim is offline   Reply With Quote