Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2013, 10:01 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Tie down rule

Our park board in Florida is discussing a rule to require all RVs left on a lot over the summer to be tied down or be placed in the storage area. The reason given for this is to prevent damage to park models from flying RVs during a hurricane. Cars left on lots at park models are not included in this rule. I can't figure out HOW we would tie down our motorhome if we wanted to leave it here. Guess it would have to go to storage.

Any comments on the rule or how to tie down the MH?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2013, 10:13 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillie View Post
Our park board in Florida is discussing a rule to require all RVs left on a lot over the summer to be tied down or be placed in the storage area. The reason given for this is to prevent damage to park models from flying RVs during a hurricane. Cars left on lots at park models are not included in this rule. I can't figure out HOW we would tie down our motorhome if we wanted to leave it here. Guess it would have to go to storage.

The park models all have tie-down straps that go over the roof under the shell. Your motorhome won't have straps. But you could get the same ground hardware (anchors) they use and run straps over the axles to keep the coach in place.

Another, and probably unpopular option, would be to run cables over the top.
NukeRef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:14 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:

I guess if the parking spots are concrete, the association could install tie-down eyelets into the concrete ... although they would have to be pretty large bolts going far down into the concrete.

Then you could use 10,000 lb straps or wheel nets on each wheel to tie the RV to the pad.

Kind of like how I tie down our VW on our car trailer

2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:57 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Has the park board suggested how to do it?

Whatever you do would have to pass muster with them in any case.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:15 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Has the park board suggested how to do it?
No suggestions from the board as of yet. One resident contacted his insurance company and was told that he would still be covered IF the tie downs weren't permanent (like a park model's).

Would tying down the axles or wheels keep the coach part from blowing away in hurricane winds? IOW, is the coach that securely attached to the chassis? Yeah, I know it'll handle pretty high winds or some of those 'other guys' wouldn't be passing me on the interstates with intact coaches.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:21 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to Gadget63 Send a message via Yahoo to Gadget63
Quote:
No suggestions from the board as of yet. One resident contacted his insurance company and was told that he would still be covered IF the tie downs weren't permanent (like a park model's).

Would tying down the axles or wheels keep the coach part from blowing away in hurricane winds? IOW, is the coach that securely attached to the chassis? Yeah, I know it'll handle pretty high winds or some of those 'other guys' wouldn't be passing me on the interstates with intact coaches.
One would assume that since your coach does not fly off the chassis while driving down the interstate at 75 mph that tying down the chassis to the ground will not cause the coach to fly off during a hurricane
Old 03-07-2013, 12:32 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Any wind strong enough to move my 50,000lb RV is going to break the tie-downs as well.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:53 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I once looked a purchasing an RV that was in a hurricane. The seller disclosed the window was cracked from the storm. My guess is your board is scratching their heads hoping this is some isolated insurance adjuster thinking an RV is the same thing as a park model. Otherwise, I'd get the insurance company to provide their definition of tie downs for an RV.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:15 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
The tiedowns will probably have to be designed or approved by an engineer, saying that specific ones would meet the 120 MPH minimum Florida hurricane windload conditions, that a building has to meet. (Higher yet, in south Florida) Otherwise, it is anyone's guess what would be adequate to resist the 120 MPH winds.
Or does the board want to be specific about what mininum windload speed the tiedowns have to meet? How about 15 MPH?
That board has opened up a real can of worms and apparently don't know it .
Old 03-07-2013, 04:53 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

If the winds reach 120, parts are going to fly off the RVs even if they stay in place on their lot. And parts will fly off the park models too. Not to mention parts from neighboring homes and apartment complexes. Debris everywhere, damaging things.

Sounds to me like another case of good intentions but no common sense. That doesn't mean they won't enact the rule, though.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:04 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
You all have give me some things to think about and discuss with the board.
Old 03-07-2013, 05:06 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
The A/C shrouds and vent covers will also need hurricane straps.

I would think the frame would need to be tie down. Strapping the axles would allow the body to rock and roll which could cause damage.

The biggest threat is airborn debris. If the RV is strapped down in winds sufficient to roll the RV, it will receive serious damage from the storm in any case.

Personally, I would arrange to get the RV out of the area. It has wheels for reason...so that it can be moved.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:36 PM   #13

Are they going to strap the trees down too?
Old 03-07-2013, 07:55 PM   #14

So 25,000 pound plus RV's must be tied down but 4,000 pound cars do not ?
Who thinks of this stuff ?
Was there an engineering study done ?