Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2015, 01:58 PM   #43

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
I have been looking into solar and found this

**3M™ VHB™ Tape

its super strong and has been used for solar on RV's. no holes needed.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2015, 05:43 PM   #44

Ford Super Duty Owner
Done and done! Brought her home today from the storage bay. Glad to have this project behind me and am hoping for a number of years of leak-free ownership. These pics were taken today at home. Just had to wrap up installing the vent covers. Excuse the blue hue and poor light - sun angle is lower these days...

Decided to take a belt-and-suspenders approach - used Dicor self-leveling caulk on all vent edges & screws, and then overlaid it with Eternabond. Hopefully this will be a near-permanent solution.

2000 Jayco 3230K Designer
Steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 10:42 PM   #45

Steve, please advise when you take your next vacation and I'll order the materials for mine .
Old 11-22-2015, 05:53 AM   #46

Ford Super Duty Owner
No problem, Don. My consulting fee is considerably lower than the dealer's shop rate... Actually, I half-joked to my wife that I should start doing this for a business - I'm sure I could beat the dealer rate. But, it's one thing to play at being a professional with your own rig...something entirely different when it's someone else's...

I forgot to mention - using those drywall anchors to mount the solar panel worked very well.

kcmusa - the reason I didn't go with tape is that I would be only taping to the membrane, which is held to the roof by glue. I didn't want to put that kind of stress on that connection - I wanted something structural. If my roof had been fiberglass I would have been all over that tape in a heartbeat.

Old 11-22-2015, 06:08 AM   #47

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
IC you have the gutter system do you like it and does it really prevent black streaks?
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 06:29 AM   #48

Ford Super Duty Owner
I think the gutters do help, though some streaks still develop. I did put on new extended spouts during this project. The old ones were UV-crumbly.

Old 11-22-2015, 06:40 AM   #49

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steverino View Post
I think the gutters do help, though some streaks still develop. I did put on new extended spouts during this project. The old ones were UV-crumbly.
hem.[LEFT]
Thanks,
I washed the roof (Metal) and I am still getting them I'm going to Quartzsite and hope to find them out there @ a better price.
Boy you sure did a great job on your roof. Kudos
Want to try a metal roof?
Have a good Day,
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 06:59 AM   #50

Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm sure a metal roof would have a whole different set of challenges. Thanks for the compliments - it sure isn't perfect, but at least I know exactly what is under there.

I should have noted that my gutters are built into the side termination strips for the roof material. It's all one piece. They also include the slot for the awning fabric. I don't have experience with add-on gutters, so YMMV...

Old 11-22-2015, 08:04 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
hem.[LEFT]
Thanks,
I washed the roof (Metal) and I am still getting them I'm going to Quartzsite and hope to find them out there @ a better price.
Boy you sure did a great job on your roof. Kudos
Want to try a metal roof?
Have a good Day,
Tim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steverino View Post
I should have noted that my gutters are built into the side termination strips for the roof material. It's all one piece. They also include the slot for the awning fabric. I don't have experience with add-on gutters, so YMMV...
spritz, (and Steverino)
There are many types of "gutters", "gutter rails" and "combination awning/gutter rails" used by RV manufacturers. ..(but not many add-on gutters).
Here are some images of both: https://www.google.com/search?q=rv+g...AkINw&dpr=1.67

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 11-22-2015, 05:40 PM   #52

I may have mentioned this before but.. the one and only advantage I see to a rubber roof is the option to be able to easily remove it for repair of wood or wiring or whatever lies below. I looked at several wonderful coaches during my shopping and found as much (perhaps more) water intrusion and destruction under the fiberglass roof as rubber, all due to owner neglect, none the less, impossible to repair without a crane.
Old 11-22-2015, 05:54 PM   #53

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Run View Post
I may have mentioned this before but.. the one and only advantage I see to a rubber roof is the option to be able to easily remove it for repair of wood or wiring or whatever lies below. I looked at several wonderful coaches during my shopping and found as much (perhaps more) water intrusion and destruction under the fiberglass roof as rubber, all due to owner neglect, none the less, impossible to repair without a crane.
That's really interesting, and a caution against the temptation to assume that fiberglass = no water issues. At the end of the day, you just can't let your guard down, no matter what you're buying & no matter what you're maintaining. Nature / weather is relentless.

I just had a text conversation with a good friend with a nice new 5er. Advised him that even though it is new, he SHOULD be up on that roof, making sure that everything is tight and that he knows what's going on. No visible drips inside doesn't mean there are no issues. Sounds paranoid, but...you just can't let down your guard.

Tags
roof