Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2015, 04:01 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Time for a new roof!

Our 2000 Jayco 3230K (class c) has been showing some signs of water damage this year. I thought I'd been keeping up with the roof sealant, but evidence shows perhaps not. I have a feeling some may have been in the works since before our ownership, too.

Anyway, after spending way too much time on this forum researching, I've decided to do a complete membrane replacement. I believe our rig's original material is TPO, and I've decided to replace it with Dicor's DiFlexII TPO product. Everything's been ordered (TPO, Dicor adhesive, butyl tape, new roof vent covers, new fridge vent & cover, etc.). I know I'll have some wood underlayment to replace - I can feel the wrinkles through the existing roof in several places.

Fall weather is upon us here, and Dicor tells me that minimum temps for product application are 40 degrees. That's still fine now, but overnights are dipping colder (impacting cure time), and I don't want to be rushed by weather, since I don't know what I'll run into during the project). So, I've arranged to rent a heated storage bay for a month and will do the work there. When dealers are charging $95/hr and a $3,000 - $5,000 tab for a roof, I'll still come out ahead doing it myself (though a bit more tired).

Will try to post some pics along the way. "Before" pics don't really show much, though, but the roof plywood is bubbled & crunchy in places. Will be removing the satellite dish permanently. We don't use it, and I'm not sure it's even technologically current enough to be viable these days anyway. I suspect it is one source of leakage, too, so one less hole going forward.

Am planning to use Eternabond instead (or on top of) the lap sealant - trying to prevent future maintenance and problems.

So, break out the ! November should be interesting.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2015, 05:26 PM   #2

Good for you tackling this DIY! I have had the chance to assist 3 friends do the same thing, and we learned a few things along the way. First- I would eliminate as many things as you can stand on the roof. Satellite dish can go, and easily be replaced with a tailgater portable dish. Many CGs we frequent have too many trees for it to work anyway. We also switched the crank up TV antenna with the smaller fixed unit. Covered the holes inside with round blank plates from home depot. We also eliminated the skylights-a common (all 3 skylights had some wood rot around them) leak point. We were able to leave the inside dome and just painted the plexi black on top so still had the headroom inside the shower and no plastic dome outside (depends on the "attic" space you have). You will save 6 to 10 tubes of caulk a year right there!

If your roof deck is overall pretty good, just patch the pieces you need to and skin the whole thing in luan plywood right over the old deck. It will save you TONS of time and still provide a pristine surface to glue the new roof on. We liquid nailed the luan and screwed it down, just traced cutouts from underneath where we could.

The Diflex is good stuff and wraps corners nicely. On the last 2 roofs we did we ran down the walls an extra inch to overlap the fiberglass better, 1 row of butyl tape under the liner and 1 row outside just under the gutter (which we also replaced for time's sake and looked nicer). We did the final trim of the TPO after the gutter was screwed off and then caulked the top and underside of the gutter. BTW masking tape the gutter up first with it completely cut in and step back and look before you screw it down, just to be sure it is nicely lined up.

Good luck you will save a ton of $$. We were under a grand in materials on all 3 and the local shops all start at about $5000.
redhooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 06:13 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Hi Red,

Thanks for the reply and the good advice. Will definitely be taking it into account as I dig into this.

For reference, you mentioned a fixed TV antenna vs. the crank-up batwing. Could you give me a link or example? Might want to do the same...
Old 10-25-2015, 10:10 PM   #4

I hate paying for things I can do myself. Take pics, give updates. I just replaced the floors in 2 slides time consuming but cost effective.
'17' F350 6.7 CC King Ranch DRW 4x4 4:10s B&W 20 K Companion Hitch
'04' NuWa 33.5 RLTG DA Demco GlideRide pin box
Stickdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 11:02 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I will also go along for the ride. Mine is 33 years old and still haven't had a leak. (fingers crossed). Mine is also Metal but not painted or is that a type of a sealer?.
Thanks and Good Luck, love these projects.
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 07:46 PM   #6

I am definitely in! My '99 coach roof is OK yet, with a few wrinkles and small patches (where the previous owner hit some limbs) but if I don't trade up it will need a replacement at some point.
Monkey Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 10:10 PM   #7

Looking forward to following this. Thanks for posting it.

A good many years ago I replaced the rubber on our '92 Caribou 11.5 camper with aluminum which turned out well, although it had it's moments. We recently got a '93 Flair 26' A which is likely going to need a new rubber roof and will be a different kind of animal. I may do that in the Spring.

Best of luck with it.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 11:00 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Did ours and it was not difficult. I replaced all of the sheeting with plywood. Having the sheeting off let me replace all of the existing lights with LED fixtures plus a few more. I was also able to really insulate the roof where the manufacturer left small gaps. Used stainless screws for everything.
Old 10-31-2015, 09:24 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Did ours and it was not difficult. I replaced all of the sheeting with plywood. Having the sheeting off let me replace all of the existing lights with LED fixtures plus a few more. I was also able to really insulate the roof where the manufacturer left small gaps. Used stainless screws for everything.
This was a thought I had, with the rubber roof a person can remove it and get to areas otherwise inaccessible with other types of roofing. Something positive about a rubber roof.
Monkey Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 10:14 AM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
Well, it's under way. Took off both antennas, air conditioner, & one air vent. More to go - hoping to get everything off today before I take it over to the storage bay. Will post pics later.

One question - would you keep the TV batwing antenna? Or is there something better I should replace it with? Now would be the time... We don't normally use it, but I think it should still have some type of TV antenna.
Old 10-31-2015, 12:36 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'd keep it, if it hasn't been updated to digital batwing I'd do that to. It's nice to have when you have no cell service and weather turns bad
Old 10-31-2015, 05:55 PM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
Thanks - I'll check out the digital antenna as a possible replacement.

Here are today's results. Everything is off except the two plumbing vents and the ladder, and it's now safely in the enclosed storage bay. Slow going chiseling thru the Dicor to get to all of the screws, but perseverance pays off. Figure I have about 7 hours in it today. At the going RV dealer shop rate of $95, I just paid myself $665!

Handy having a sloping lot with a high rear deck - makes the access easy.

Old 11-01-2015, 05:39 AM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Hey
That's cheating, Where's the ladder? I would need more plywood... LOL are ya having fun yet?
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 06:01 AM   #14

Forest River Owners Club
By hook or by crook, Tim...

I can't imagine trying to lug the A/C unit down a ladder. It was fun enough heaving it over the deck railing. If it makes you feel any better, the rest of the project (until the A/C goes back on) will be strictly ladder - there's no handy platform in the indoor storage bay. Bought a 10' ladder, which is juuuust high enough.

Fun is not exactly how I'd characterize it. Just keeping my eye on the goal - she's gotta come home by Thanksgiving weekend.

Tags
roof