Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2006, 01:59 PM   #1

Come on guys,I know more than two of you have been to mount rushmore and glaicer natl park.I have to turn my vacation dates in,in a couple of weeks.I am looking for the best time to visit,and campground recomandations.Any route info would be helpful also.Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2006, 01:59 PM   #2

Come on guys,I know more than two of you have been to mount rushmore and glaicer natl park.I have to turn my vacation dates in,in a couple of weeks.I am looking for the best time to visit,and campground recomandations.Any route info would be helpful also.Thanks

Old 01-03-2006, 02:11 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I've been to those areas, but mostly frequent the Yellowstone area.

Regarding Mount Rushmore, I find that there is more to do in Custer State Park, which is just south of there. We stay at the Game Lodge Campground in Custer State Park. It's a great location and you can drive the wildlife loop amongst the bison herds, feed the wild burros, drive the Needles Highway (and climb the needles), and take a zillion little side trips from there. Mount Rushmore is a half-day side trip for us and we take the Iron Mountain Road with the toad (never take that one with the RV) to get there and back. There are three tunnels that perfectly frame Mount Rushmore in the distance as you drive up and the road itself is a very scenic drive.

We haven't RV'd in Glacier but we've been there a number of times in the pre-RV days. You won't be able to take Going to the Sun Road with the RV because they have a maximum length limit that's pretty short. We generally stayed at Apgar, which is near West Glacier, and then on the east side at Many Glacier. We do have an RV trip to Glacier laid out but haven't taken it yet. We plan on staying at St. Mary's KOA on the east side and at some campground in West Glacier Park, but the name escapes me. They looked promising, based upon our research but again, we haven't actually been to these campgrounds so these are good guesses, not facts. We find that Going to the Sun Road sometimes doesn't open up until the tail end of June. July and August are the most popular months in Glacier but we've done pretty well at the very end of June. The snow is melting and the streams are flowing earlier on. Near the end of summer things dry up a bit.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 03:46 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

If you go to Glacier, I recommend you continue north into Canada and visit the many fine sights there, especially Banff & Jasper Canadian National Parks in the Canadian Rockies.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 07:18 PM   #5

Unless you have a real affinity for KOA campgrounds, I recommend Johnson's of St. Mary Campground & RV Park on the East side of Glacier. They are open May 1 to Oct. 15. Phone 406-732-4207. The restaurant across the street (not St. Mary Lodge) is excellent. We've eaten breakfast, lunch and dinner there.

2002 Thor Tahoe 23FBGL TT, 28'
Paul Heuvelhorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 06:31 AM   #6

We found early Sept.right after Labor Day a good time to visit Glacier. Crowds are down, weather still good. We camped at the ManyGlacier campground in the park. No hookups but beautiful site and we can easily live w/o hookups for a few days.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:32 AM   #7

Hi,
We've been to Mt. Rushmore and loved it, especially Custer SP.

As for routes...Have AAA map you out a route around the area and FOLLOW it, even if it looks like the long way around. I made the mistake of looking at their map and figuring I'd take the shorter route. Unfortunately the route was straight up a mountain and straight down, as opposed to their route around the mountain....duh....

The Wildlife loop in Custer SP is the best. Bring lots of stale marshmallows for the wild donkeys as they will follow you anywhere and NEVER honk at a buffalo...they don't like it and may charge your vehicle. I'm not sure how you'd claim that on your insurance..."A buffalo hit me head-on, I was standing still...really, sir!"

Enjoy the trip! Don't forget to stop at Wall Drugs along the way!

Wife and kid maybe friends, maybe pets, maybe not, lost look in face,
rhoevinbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 11:58 AM   #8

I would second the Custer State Park advice, we stayed there for a week last summer and made side trips to Rushmore and other places.
The going to the sun road in Glacier has a 21 foot length limit on vehicles. How did they come up with that figure? Glad you asked My wife's cousin used to work there and he told us that the length requirement was originally set at 20 feet; then someone thought to measure the park service four door long bed pickups, yep, they were 21 feet long
I can't help on the campgrounds though, since we stay with relatives when we go there
Loren
Old 01-04-2006, 01:59 PM   #9

Thanks everybody.
Old 01-04-2006, 03:26 PM   #10

bishgeo, one thing no one else metioned is you want to check when Sturgis bike week is on and (unless you are into bikes like me) avoid that week as traffic in that whole area will be tuff and all the attractions and resterants etc. very packed. Scotty.
Old 01-08-2006, 05:22 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
bishgeo, your easiest route woul be I-70/w to KC, I-29/n to sioux falls, I-90/w to rapid city/mount rushmore, after your stay in rapid city area, continue on I-90/w to missoula, US-93/n to glacier N P. Enjoy, its beautiful country. j&cmobile
Old 01-18-2006, 02:24 AM   #12

The Rapid City area has so much to see we stayed for a week on our out to Wyoming and 4 more days on the way back. Most everything to see is within an hours drive of where we stayed, The Heart Ranch just out from Rapid City. It is a beautiful campground. Custer State Park is great Mt. Rushmore is a must and ask about a senic drive up needles highway. Beautiful country and a little place called Spearfish is well worth a day trip to see Spearfish Canyon. If you have time try to spend a day in Deadwood South Dakota, it is only 35 milkes or so west of Rapid City. Just talking about it makes me want to load up and go back. Have a great trip. Jim Bob
Old 01-18-2006, 02:50 PM   #13

My wife and I have been out to the Black Hills many times We live in north west MN so it is only a daytrip for us to get there but its great Possible sugestions for you along with the others you have received The Crazy Horse monument is a must see, The badlands loop is a must Lots of great pictures are there just waiting for you, Murdo SD is neat and then theres always the spectical of Wall drug.And don't forget that there is a large display of retired aircraft out at the air base west of Rapid city along with an aviation museum. Then south of Rapid City is Bear Country Its neat to watch all of the critters espesally the little bears . Then there is always Lead SD and the infamouse Deadwood with Boothill cemitery The possabilities out there are endless and there is about a billion tourist trap things to stop at The city of Keystone is alo neet although we havent been back there scince the fire so I can only assume they have rebuilt by now Have fun

2006 30 ft Cherokee TT
j2detoit is offline   Reply With Quote