Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2016, 02:14 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Tinted MH Windshield

I had a local auto glass company tint my motorhome windows. WOW! Dramatic improvement. No more sunburned arms thru side windows! The glare reduction was wonderful in fighting afternoon sun. However, the major effect was the heat reduction in the glass greenhouse cab area. Finally, the dash air could keep up with the airconditioning the front cab area. Why didn't I do this sooner?
Mrfoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2016, 02:21 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Congrats Paul! I am planning to do mine myself. Could you share with us how much you had to pay for the job?

Are you saying they tinted the windshield too? I didn't think that was legal.
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 06:27 PM   #3

Thanks for the post Paul. I too am interested in the cost. Also, do you know if it is possible to add tinting to the upper part of a windshield?
AKOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 06:40 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Most states have a percentage they use to determine how dark you can tint the front glass.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 08:02 PM   #5

If I understand your subject title correctly, you tinted your windshield. I'm of the understanding it is illegal to tint a windshield. ?????????

Peter & Kathy Collins
Woodland WA
2014 Anthem 42DEQ
pallencollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 08:10 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pallencollin View Post
If I understand your subject title correctly, you tinted your windshield. I'm of the understanding it is illegal to tint a windshield. ?????????
Right you are, at least here in WA! You can add tint to a band across the top of the windshield but not to where your normal line of site is. You can tint side windows but only to a certain % unless it's direct from the car or RV manufacturer. The State Patrol has a meter that they can check it with.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 05:51 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Answers to rv friends on window tinting motorhome.
1. Ok up front please realize that I did not do the limo blackout tint or mirror reflectors.
2. Big important fact. Check your resident state laws. VA has a medical form that you can have filled out by your doctor, preferably your eye doctor or ophthalmologist for medical certification exemption. This allows you to tint the entire front windshield up to 30%, or as long as the light transmission is at least 70%. Next you have to have rearview mirrors on each side in VA. Last, but not least, the reflective value has to be 20% or less. Even the clear as well as the tints will block 99% of uv rays.
3. With medical exemption you can do side windows with a up to 50% light transmission and 20% reflective value.
4. With medical I can have a darker tint on the top 6 inches of windshield.

But be sure and check your state laws very closely. There are a lot of websites that have the state laws. I used Llumna film, a kodak subsidiary, and they also have a state by state table.

5. Cost, 2 double side front windows, 4 surfaces, large, 40% tint &16% reflective $120
Windshield, entire front 1 piece, "billboard size" 25% tint, 16% reflective $250
Received smalll discount on side windows of $30 by doing all at one time, but still took about 4 hours labor. The front was a bear. They applied it to front outside first using 2 pickup trucks, 3 guys on step ladders to size and cut and then took inside and installed, 2 guys holding and 1 guy mounting. Then 1 guy on each side window. I think they will have a price increase on the big 1 piece front windshield very soon. (3 guys @ 2 1/2 hours)
Old 08-23-2016, 05:58 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
[B]Additional Cost on Window Tinting
Forgot to include that I had to run the generator and air conditioner for 4 hours. They could not get MH in service bays.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:57 PM   #9
Community Moderator

Mr Foto, You got an awesome price!
I tinted mine myself, sides and front; I know how challenging it was. The front on mine was tough but not too bad for I have a two piece windshield (I didn't cut it at outside but entirely inside).
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 08:41 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Local tint guy told me to tint my front windshield. He said they have a clear tint that stops 99% UV and i believe he said 45% heat reduction.

I thought i would check into this more before doing it but thats pretty awesome , anything would be better than nothing
TOAD #1 2016 Jeep Rubicon
TOAD #2 1983 Jeep CJ7
Digz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 09:06 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
I agree that $370 total was great for 3 technicians working 2 & 1/2 hours and 2 guys working 1 hour each. 9 and 1/2 man hours total. Like I said, I see a price increase very soon for motorhomes. Yes the clear does block 99% of UV rays and 43% heat.
Old 08-23-2016, 09:24 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
I had my windshield tinted with tint that I picked up at a Home Depot store but afterwards it would not pass state inspection in Texas.
gcannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 09:37 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcannon View Post
I had my windshield tinted with tint that I picked up at a Home Depot store but afterwards it would not pass state inspection in Texas.
You can in Texas with clear
TOAD #1 2016 Jeep Rubicon
TOAD #2 1983 Jeep CJ7
Digz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 09:55 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
I was at a restaurant and the sun was shining in the waitress came over and pull down the shade. The shade was made of heavy smoke tint material so I contacted the company and they made to fit my front windshield with a chain drive to raise and lower this dropped our temperature by 15 degrees what a relief and they are legal since they are not attached to the windshield, but at night time the shades are so dark you have to raise them to see to drive. The cost was $150 for both windows on my 1998 Cheiftain Winniebago.
gcannon is offline   Reply With Quote