Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2016, 07:45 AM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Tinting MH windows- refresher

I'm finally getting ready to tint all of the side windows in the Windsor, and have a few specific questions just to get me up-to-date!

1. I have heard that standard tint should not be used on double-pane windows. From researching this all I can find it should not be a problem, but if I'm wrong I want to know it now!

2. I'm planning to use the Gila Heat Shield Plus 35% tint. Are there other brands of tint that I should consider?

3. I know I will have to take down the day-night shades, but not sure about the valances. Has anybody done it with the valances still in place?

4. How long can I expect the tint to last and still look good? What is the longest time that you have had DIY tint on your windows?

5. I know this can vary widely, but about how long did it take you to do a typical MH side window (both halves)?

6. Where did you find the best price on your tint?

As always, thanks for your help!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2016, 10:07 AM   #2

I put the 35% tint on my windows. Ended removing it and bought the extra dark. I did not have to remove the valance. Shade were high enough not to interfere with windows. Bought extra. Good thing. Because I scraped a couple pieces while installing. There are some good videos on installing window film. .
When you think you have the window clean enough. Do it again.
I had to remove the sliding part of window to get a full coverage of that window. It was easier to do when laying flat. With the dark tint even a little piece of window not tinted leaves a very bright intrusion of white light. After My best install I put a outer edge of black trim tape to cover up the little bright light edges.
Job looks good. But when we get to AZ for the winter this year. I may have a local tint company come out and do it again. Lots of business doing that type of work in the Mesa area.
Old 08-26-2016, 01:56 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
I used 20%, bought a 48inch x 100ft roll for $95. This tint block 80% of visible and 99% of infrared light. I was very pleased with the optical quality.

Two key items I would pass along:

1) When applying, Use a soapy solution in a spray bottle, don 't use Windex or other glass cleaner. They evaporate to fast.

2) Clean your window with Windex, then spray the window again with soapy solution and use the squeegee to clean the window again.

After a little practice, we cut the film for a rough fit, then temporary put it against the window to do the fine / final trimming cut, then peeled the backing and apply.

Doing all my windows took 4 or 5 hours.

Window tint and window covers | 2001 Coachmen Mirada 300QB

Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 03:38 PM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I'm concerned that the 20% tint would restrict our view too much. We like to see outside at the campground. Guess we're just too nosy, keeping up with what the neighbors are doing !
Old 08-26-2016, 03:48 PM   #5

This is a good brand.

LLumar Window Films -

Tinting Double Pane Windows

Choosing Film for Double Pane Windows

The biggest factor here is heat absorption. As a general rule, any film that has a Solar Heat Absorption rating of 50% or greater is NOT safe on dual pane glass. Be sure to double check this rating on any film you use if you are tinting insulated glass.

Most Common Film Types for Double Pane Windows

Realistically, most common films are tested safe for double windows. These films are the most common ones you will find that are NOT safe:

Natural 20% VLT
Bronze 20% VLT
Blackout Film
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 04:11 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
35% should be OK. I was guessing when I ordered mine, and I'm happy with the 20%. Whatever % tint you get, I think the key is to get the 99% IR reflection.

One other thing I ran across in a couple videos. Removing the protective backing from the tint is almost impossible. Applying a short piece of scotch tape in the corner on both sides of the film. Then simply pull the tape apart and it will pull the protective film off the tint.

This is my test window, tint on one side, no tint on the other.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WindowTint2_600.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	137272   Click image for larger version

Name:	WindowTint3_600.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	137273  

Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 05:16 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I'm concerned that the 20% tint would restrict our view too much. We like to see outside at the campground. Guess we're just too nosy, keeping up with what the neighbors are doing !
We went with the extra dark and mirror tint to give us some privacy. Driver side of our MH looks into neighbors patio. A lot of light still comes into MH with darkest tint. Does not cut down on our view to outside.
Couple of pictures taken this morning inside and outside.
Old 08-27-2016, 08:36 AM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks folks! I appreciate your comments!
Old 08-28-2016, 08:45 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
... I have heard that standard tint should not be used on double-pane windows. From researching this all I can find it should not be a problem, but if I'm wrong I want to know it now!
:
I went to the company that normally tints my other vehicles windows. He said no, that his tint would not work on double paned RV windows and told me to go to a company that does double paned house windows. House window company guy said the same thing...he did it, and worked fine.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 01:24 PM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I just found this info. Haven't read it through yet, but it sounds like good information!

About Window Films
Old 08-28-2016, 01:52 PM   #11

If you are putting the tint on for heat control. It's much better to do it from outside. We have awnings for all our windows. A couple windows have sunscreen shades that snap on. Makes a big difference in how much sun heat comes into motor home. Windshield has a sunscreen cover also. It helps to have a light colored RV.
While it cost more to have awnings and covers. They do the job much better than tint's.
Old 08-28-2016, 02:38 PM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjhall View Post
If you are putting the tint on for heat control. It's much better to do it from outside. We have awnings for all our windows. A couple windows have sunscreen shades that snap on. Makes a big difference in how much sun heat comes into motor home. Windshield has a sunscreen cover also. It helps to have a light colored RV.
While it cost more to have awnings and covers. They do the job much better than tint's.

All our windows have awnings also, but that's just not enough! I've never heard of putting tint on the outside. I'll look into that!
Old 08-28-2016, 02:59 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
All our windows have awnings also, but that's just not enough! I've never heard of putting tint on the outside. I'll look into that!
With double pane Windows, tint should be on the outside. If on the inside, there is a good chance the window will crack because all of the heat reflected by the film is trapped between the panes. This is based on house Windows, watched my neighbors crack with film on inside. He then read the instructions and put the film on the outside of his brand new windows.

Jake
Retired-Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 03:22 PM   #14

Quote:
I am sure it can be done. But I was not suggesting that tint be put on outside. Put sunscreen on out side. It's a screen type material. Very popular in hot climates.

Tags
window