Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2016, 10:08 AM   #1

Tip for making a difficult reservation online

We've been trying for 4 days to get into WP Franklin COE Park in Florida with no success but today we were finally successful. It was almost comical. Between us, we had 4 computers, an ipad, and an iphone all cued up and ready to go at exactly 10 AM. When the computer clicked on 10 AM we pushed the button to reserve the site but got shut out each day. Today we checked the time on our phone via the world clock and realized that our computer time was off by anywhere from 2-5 seconds. Once we adjusted for that discrepancy, we were finally able to book our site. Lesson learned! I posted this just in case it will help anyone else.

BTW, we love WP Franklin COE Campground and highly recommend it to anyone looking to camp in the Forty Myers area. With our Senior Access card, it is only $15.00 per night. You can't beat that.
mrebele is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2016, 10:45 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the heads-up!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 01:37 PM   #3

another reason for an "Atomic" clock... always correct.

Enjoy your Stay.
Chuck_Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 03:19 PM   #4
DJJ

A question about that park since you have been there. Are they strict on the 35' rule and would a 40' fit? We also like many of the Army Corp parks, always very well maintained.

Jeff
DJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 06:06 PM   #5

What an absolutely beautiful camping spot. What, may I ask, is the best time of year that we "might" be able to get a reservation for? We'd have to travel a ways since we live in Lake Havasu City AZ but, that's not a big deal.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 06:30 PM   #6

Hi FIRE UP: They take reservations 6 months in advance. Since we're going in January/February, it is rally hard to get in. You have to chose a site and be ready to click on it online at exactly 10 AM. I don't know what it's like at other times of the year. I believe they may have a 14 day maximum stay but we didn't look into that because we're only staying a week. They don't have sewer hookups but they do have a dump station. When we were there in 2015, we could sit on our site and watch the dolphins. There is plenty to do in the area although the park is slightly removed from the busy area.

Hi DJJ: I don't know how strict they are about the 35 foot rule. Our TT is only 30 feet so we really didn't pay attention to that. Maybe someone else on here will know the answer to that.
mrebele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 07:01 PM   #7

I stayed there in January on my boat. They have 8 slips all were taken. I made the reservation a week before. I talked to the ranger and she said for a RV site you must reserve well ahead of time, don't recall how far out. I'm surprised this time of year it's still hard to get a site.

In walking the area it seemed to me there were several 40' and over coaches.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 07:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrebele View Post
Hi FIRE UP: They take reservations 6 months in advance. Since we're going in January/February, it is rally hard to get in. You have to chose a site and be ready to click on it online at exactly 10 AM. I don't know what it's like at other times of the year. I believe they may have a 14 day maximum stay but we didn't look into that because we're only staying a week. They don't have sewer hookups but they do have a dump station. When we were there in 2015, we could sit on our site and watch the dolphins. There is plenty to do in the area although the park is slightly removed from the busy area.

Hi DJJ: I don't know how strict they are about the 35 foot rule. Our TT is only 30 feet so we really didn't pay attention to that. Maybe someone else on here will know the answer to that.
mrebele,
I surely thank you for answering me on this. Very much appreciated. We sure would like to stay there, based on what's presented. We're always on the lookout for nice places to stay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
I stayed there in January on my boat. They have 8 slips all were taken. I made the reservation a week before. I talked to the ranger and she said for a RV site you must reserve well ahead of time, don't recall how far out. I'm surprised this time of year it's still hard to get a site.

In walking the area it seemed to me there were several 40' and over coaches.
timjet,
Not to be contradictory but, you say you can't believe it's still hard to get a space? Well, I don't know that area and/or campground/RV park but, in all the travels we've done, in many parts of the western U.S. and even some mid-west, if a campground is a really nice place, is well maintained and, has great attraction, like that one, it's very hard to get spots, almost year round, unless it's a seasonal campground/RV park.

We've ran into that multiple times. As the OP reports, you've got to be SITTING on a computer and or phone and, at the SECOND the reservations for a given time frame open up, you've got to have your finger ON THE BUTTON.

I know folks that have done Yosemite for a few years in a row and, they used to have several family members, all on cell and regular phones, with all but the last number dialed for reservations for it. At a precise moment, they'd all push the last button just so that ONE of them could get through and make the reservations for the family. So, it's just that way in many campgrounds/RV parks across the nation.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 10:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJJ View Post
A question about that park since you have been there. Are they strict on the 35' rule and would a 40' fit?
I don't know about this park but we've never run across a campground that would measure you or ask exactly how long you were when you arrived. If you think you can fit your whole RV combo - MH and car - on the site that's all they're interested in. If you can see pictures of individual sites (I didn't look this one up) you can pretty well judge if you can fit, i.e. no hinderances to maneuver around at the site (trees, large rock or RR tie barriers at entrance to the site, etc. Many times in the description it will give the dimensions of the parking space, not just "35'". Often you will find the dimensions given longer than the 35'. There is no consistency, unfortunately, on parks giving the proper site limits.

If pictures aren't given on the reservation site, try CampgroundViews.com

We've fit our 40' MH in many 35' sites.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 05:12 AM   #10

[QUOTE=FIRE UP;3183512
timjet,
Not to be contradictory but, you say you can't believe it's still hard to get a space?
Scott[/QUOTE]

I should have been more clear. Why would anyone if given a choice be in FL in July?? I equate that to why would anyone be in WI in January?

People are snowbirds for good reason. I live in the Tampa Bay area and can't wait to get a MH and spend the summers north of the Mason Dixon line.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 02:18 PM   #11
DJJ

Tip for making a difficult reservation online

In addition to WP Franklin, Ortona South and St Lucie South are the 2 other Army Corp campgrounds along the lock system system both accommodate 40' RVs. On are way back home we will usually try to hit one of theses they also keep at least one walk up space available on a first come basis. When I called Franklin to see if I could get in with 40' a couple year ago they said no. Next time we are at Ortona South might have to drive over and check out WP Franklin.

Jeff
DJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 02:42 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrebele View Post
We've been trying for 4 days to get into WP Franklin COE Park in Florida with no success but today we were finally successful. It was almost comical. Between us, we had 4 computers, an ipad, and an iphone all cued up and ready to go at exactly 10 AM. When the computer clicked on 10 AM we pushed the button to reserve the site but got shut out each day. Today we checked the time on our phone via the world clock and realized that our computer time was off by anywhere from 2-5 seconds. Once we adjusted for that discrepancy, we were finally able to book our site. Lesson learned! I posted this just in case it will help anyone else.
BTW, we love WP Franklin COE Campground and highly recommend it to anyone looking to camp in the Forty Myers area. With our Senior Access card, it is only $15.00 per night. You can't beat that.
mrebele
In the 15 years since I retired we have never failed to get a campsite at any COE park by simply driving in.
(It's difficult to plan ahead when you don't know where you'll be when you next want a campsite).
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 03:50 PM   #13

I brought my 5th wheel in February and live in Sarasota, Fl. I could not find one open spot within 100 miles for 60 days with all the snowbirds here. My only option was to try a walk which most of the time you only get one night. Tried internet and phone, same results. Best bet is to try 6 months out at opening time just as you did.

Enjoy your trip!
TDroma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 06:32 PM   #14

American Coach Owners Club
If you are planning on doing the snowbird thing, Jan-March in central to south Florida you might want to get busy with reservations. The RV and Golf resort I am staying in now while the new home is being built, with 230 sites is fully booked for the third year in a row. Two others in the Lakeland area I checked with are also booked.