Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-12-2017, 05:09 PM   #1

Tips for a long Trip

A little less than 2 months out before we load up and hit the road for an 8-9 hour trip to Disney. Any advice/tips for(for me seems like a looonnng trip) a longer than normal trip? My biggest fear is running out of gas or not being able to get into a normal gas station. Will be our 1st long trip with our new 5th wheel. I plan on taking a 5 gallon gas can for just in case...we have made plenty of 2-3 hour trips and had no issues, not a newbie by any means. But this trip has me a little more than nervous
KHBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2017, 05:12 PM   #2

Take your time.
Look for gas at 1/2 tank
Old 12-12-2017, 05:14 PM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Dont do it all in one day. 2 minimum preferrably 3.
Old 12-12-2017, 05:17 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
I stop every three hours, and fill up every second stop, usually at about half a tank.

If I don't like a gas stations layout, I just go on to the next.

Relax and enjoy the trip.
BuzzWolfAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 05:30 PM   #5

Where are you starting. Traveling 95?

Sudsy
Old 12-12-2017, 05:33 PM   #6

You didn't Say what road you are taking. If 95, there are plenty of well marked gas stations. Don't think a gas can is necessary. Relax and enjoy.
gabeears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 05:33 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Thor Owners Club
It is really about the weather....check it weeks ahead of your trip and pay attention to the wind!
Safe travels!
Old 12-12-2017, 05:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsy View Post
Where are you starting. Traveling 95?

Sudsy
Well coming from Alabama. Will be either going down and hopping on I-10 and then I-75 or going through Georgia and catching I-75. About the same distance either way
Old 12-12-2017, 05:53 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Some Pilot / Flying J's have a RV lane for gas. Look for them or download their app to find them specifically. Can also get a discount of $0.05 per gallon for gas with their card.
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 06:28 PM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I try hard not to exceed 7 hrs/day driving time. No need to risk anything. I'll frequently split driving time so as to arrive at our destination in early afternoon. Pulling in to a camp late and tired is not good planning IMO. We always try to drive on the top half of the fuel tank like many others. I think that's standard practice. If we don't like the layout of a gas station I'll pass unless there's not going to be another option. This is sometimes the case in some areas in the west, we have a lots of very sparse areas. I prefer the big truck style stops as they will have the necessary space to move safely. Some of them have RV islands different from the cars and semis.

Always keep your travels safe, so they'll be fun next time.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 06:30 PM   #11

If you are a Costco member, they usually have the best prices. Have Top Tier gas and usually fairly close to the freeway. Use Gas Buddy to find the best price and then Google Maps in satellite mode to check access
coachmanjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 06:34 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHBama View Post
A little less than 2 months out before we load up and hit the road for an 8-9 hour trip to Disney. Any advice/tips for(for me seems like a looonnng trip) a longer than normal trip? My biggest fear is running out of gas or not being able to get into a normal gas station. Will be our 1st long trip with our new 5th wheel. I plan on taking a 5 gallon gas can for just in case...we have made plenty of 2-3 hour trips and had no issues, not a newbie by any means. But this trip has me a little more than nervous
Many here saying don't worry. I'd say, start to worry.
You're going from Al to Fl. I've heard of stories where the bugs in those parts are so big; they carried off a many when he stopped for gas!

Then there are the aliens that like to abduct people from remote areas at night, take them to their space ship and do all types of nasty experiments on them.

I'd suggest you have your better half stay in the pick up with the shotgun and keep an eye on you when you stop. And only stop during daylight!
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 06:38 PM   #13

LOL!!!
bfisher003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 07:19 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexters View Post
Many here saying don't worry. I'd say, start to worry.
You're going from Al to Fl. I've heard of stories where the bugs in those parts are so big; they carried off a many when he stopped for gas!

Then there are the aliens that like to abduct people from remote areas at night, take them to their space ship and do all types of nasty experiments on them.

I'd suggest you have your better half stay in the pick up with the shotgun and keep an eye on you when you stop. And only stop during daylight!

Very insightful... thanks