Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2013, 04:53 PM   #1

Tips on scootering....

My DH and I just purchased a 125cc scooter today as well as a hitch for the back of the MH. We are planning to use the scooter for weekend /short trips to run errands, etc. This is all new to us....any tips would be apreciated. Are there any restrictions we should be aware of? Is a cover recommended while on the back of the MH?

Car Dolly: Mini Cooper Clubman
vanbuskirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2013, 05:05 PM   #2

my question to you is, have you and your husband ever had a street legal motorcycle before??? why i ask is riding two wheels is totally differently from driving a car. point one you have no protection. so you have to constantly scan everything around you to avoid accidents. you might be in the right but you'll end up being dead right. you need to dress for when not if you go down ( no shorts or sandals). if you say i won't get hit or go down you're out in dream land. fyi after i got hit the second time i quit riding the street. both times the cars came out of nowhere. 500 lbs never wins against 3000 lbs.

Old 01-13-2013, 05:26 PM   #3

Actually this is our first "2 wheeled motorized" vehicle. We are not planning on taking it on any major highways...just to the store and local restaurants and attractions. And believe me we will be protective gear!
Car Dolly: Mini Cooper Clubman
vanbuskirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:33 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanbuskirk View Post
My DH and I just purchased a 125cc scooter today as well as a hitch for the back of the MH. Are there any restrictions we should be aware of?
In the State of Florida you need to have a motorcycle license when using a scooter greater than 50cc - make sure you check for state laws regarding this.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:33 PM   #5

iRV2 No Limits Club
Take a local motorcyle riding course. Almost everything you learn you can apply to a scooter.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:34 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Make sure your D.L. is endorsed for your new ride and an old mortorcycle comment those have gone down and those who will go down.

Don
Old 01-13-2013, 07:30 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The small diameter wheels on your scooter do not deal well with pot holes, try to avoid them. Also use caution when crossing railroad tracks, and always cross in a perpendicular direction to the tracks. Use caution and be aware of your surroundings at all time. Have fun.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:32 PM   #8

cover will help keep it clean but will wear the paint (gel coat ) off. not the best idea if you have a nice scooter.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:49 PM   #9

A police pursuit rider gave me two pieces of advice
1 . assume every driver has failed to notice you and will try to knock you off
2. All the information you need to read the road ahead is posted on the roadside signage .

Good luck enjoy the new scooter and stay safe
Old 01-14-2013, 05:22 PM   #10

I had a 1965 Triumph Bonneville. Loved it!

The third time I laid it down because a car pulled out, I sold it. Yeah, 3 and out for me.
Still love it.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:37 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
x2 on taking a motorcycle riding course. I encourage anyone that is even remotely thinking about a bike to take the course. Most community college's offer one or go to a Harley dealer since I know they offer a course too.
I know in several states that if you pass the course that you do not have to take the tests and they will go ahead and give you the endorsement on your license. Even if you have riden for years I still encourge people to take the beginners course. I know lots of Harley riders that have ridden for yrs and wanted to take the advanced course and the college made them take the beginning one. They thought since they ride all the time that they already know everything but when they actually took the course found out that that some of the things there were doing were wrong and corrected themselves and found out about why they were doing some things right and the reasons for doing them.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:37 PM   #12

Remember with the scooter wheels being smaller in diameter than a normal motorcycle they are less forgiving on bumps and rocks/gravel. Turn slowly and avoid big leans until you get more practice. Driving school is a good thing.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:16 PM   #13

Be very careful of loose sand, dirt.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:18 PM   #14

I've bought my first bike in the 70's and graduated to a big V-Twin in the 90's. three years ago we sold that and bought a 200cc scooter which we carry on the back of the motorhome. The scooter is actually more stable, easier to ride and more maneuverable that the big v-twin. The suspensions on a new scooter are wonderful and offer a very stable ride even with two up. Now for some good assumptions: assume the other driver never sees you so always be able to avoid the other driver, some curves are decreasing radius - oops you just lost control, there is a rock in the road - don't look at it- if you do you wll hit. Learn how to do emergency stops, practice on the street when you come up on a red light and no one else is around. You front brake does 90% of the braking. Lear which hand operates which brake. If you are too heavy on the rear brake the wheel will slide and come around. If you are too heavy on the front brake the bike can flip end over end. Learn what is and how to counter steer. Don't out drive your ability. Watch watch watch then look again. In car vs bike you will always loose big, no matter who was in the right!