Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-30-2015, 04:51 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I've had three BF Goodrich Commercial T/A tires suffer belt delamination, all at ~26,000 miles. I am very safety conscious about tires, always check pressures on a regular basis, inspect before every trip, watch loading, weighing, etc.
I just think the whole industry suffers from poor quality control. Why there aren't more recalls I can't explain.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2015, 07:09 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
That is exactly what aTPMS is supposed to do. When a tire is run low, the sidewall bulges out and the sidewall flexs more than it was designed to do. This causes heat buildup and a blowout.
The OP still had 85 PSI in the tire, the cheap thing just lost its tread.

Old 08-30-2015, 07:18 PM   #17

Fred1609, I hate to tell you this, my friend, but those TowMax tires are very well known to have serious issues. IRV2 and all the other RV forums are full of documented examples of them destroying themselves and causing expensive damage to the trailers they were supposed to be carrying. Why anyone would use them is beyond my comprehension.

That said, they are only one of dozens of independent Chinese tire manufacturers. To paint them all with one brush is like someone saying, "I won't buy Goodyears because some Michelins have sidewall cracks!" Sounds absurd, Eh? I thought so.

It sounds like you now have some tires that you'll be happy with for a long time. Too bad something like this had to happen to make you aware of a well known problem.
Old 08-30-2015, 07:26 PM   #18
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred1609 View Post
Finally happened to me. I run my rig with TST TPMS watching the pressure and temperatures of the tires. Our tires are about 4.5 years old and I Inspect them daily when we are on the road. We were driving up the highway at about 55 mph when the front left (kitchen slide) tire let go. I got to the side of the road right away as soon as I heard a noise behind me and checked the mirror where I saw bits of tire and plastic on the road and the sheet metal that covers the 5er below the actual body was flapping in the wind. The Blow Max tire had delaminated, but the air was still in the tire at 85 psi, letting go very slowly. I got the tire changed and secured the sheet metal. Its funny, this year we had a compromised surge guard surge protector that didn't protect us from a spike/surge and a TPMS that couldn't protect the rig from a tire delaminating. We've ordered LT Michelin XPS ribs. I showed our tire guy the pics of the tire and he said the delamination was a construction issue. Well I learned my lesson, probably should have rotated the tires out in the spring and never will I put a Chinese made tires on my rig again.
So the correct title for the thread is Tread Separation on trailer tires. as you did not suffer a rapid or slow air loss or a run low flex failure which is what many feel is a blowout.

If you don't properly identify the failure or reason for the failure you have no reason to expect your corrective action to prevent a re-occurrence.

TPMS do not monitor for tread or belt separations. They are Tire Pressure Monitor Systems.

Have you collected the information needed to file a complaint with NHTSA?

Did you do a "free spin" inspection as outlined in my tire blog as a good practice to find indications of belt & tread separations BEFORE the tire comes apart.
Old 08-30-2015, 07:43 PM   #19

American Coach Owners Club
Always the Tires Fault ! I just can't believe that all the time a blowout occurs ! How many miles ? How long does it sit in storage? Ect Ect - !
News Flash -- Most all Tires are made in China these Days.
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 08:13 PM   #20

Damon Owners Club
I have never heard anyone say they purchased Chinese made tires
because they felt or knew they were high quality tires.
They bought them because they were cheap.......
you get what you pay for, just like your grandma told you.
JMHO
Old 08-30-2015, 09:31 PM   #21
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Our friends bought a new high end Cameo fifth wheel. Within months, one of the tires, an off brand Chinese made unit let go and di some damage. At that time I told him (personal opinion) that I think any good size fifth wheel should be running the Light Truck (LT) tires instead of trailer tires (ST). Cameo paid for repairs and sent him another tire. Sure enough, a couple of months later, he blew another. Now he's running Michellin LT's on it......no more issues.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 09:56 PM   #22

Just for my edification, were you running sidewall maximum air pressure? Trailer tires should be ran at that pressure according to all but one trailer tire mfgr. St tires have stiffer sidewalls, running them with less pressure causes excessive heat buildup.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 08:10 AM   #23

Quote:
That is exactly what aTPMS is supposed to do. When a tire is run low, the sidewall bulges out and the sidewall flexs more than it was designed to do. This causes heat buildup and a blowout.
The tire was not low on pressure so the system can not detect any problem.
Old 08-31-2015, 08:10 AM   #24

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnmor View Post
The OP still had 85 PSI in the tire, the cheap thing just lost its tread.
I understand that. Post # 12 made a statement that was about blowouts and I was responding to that. My statement was not to the tread separation.
Old 08-31-2015, 10:51 AM   #25

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by macandphyl View Post
I have never heard anyone say they purchased Chinese made tires
because they felt or knew they were high quality tires.
They bought them because they were cheap.......
you get what you pay for, just like your grandma told you.
JMHO
A lot of people on this forum have stated they have excellent service with Chinese tires on their mh. They buy them for the high quality!
Grey Ghost I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 11:45 AM   #26
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

I guess I wasn't clear on what I was saying. I meant that the TPMS would not do any good after the fact. You're right, if the impending blowout is a result of low pressure and increased temps, then it would certainly give a warning!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 12:14 PM   #27
Commercial Member

Quote:

Agree but he didn't have a "blowout" as the thread title would suggest. He had a tread and/or belt separation. The tire was still holding air.
Old 08-31-2015, 12:21 PM   #28
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
I've had three BF Goodrich Commercial T/A tires suffer belt delamination, all at ~26,000 miles. I am very safety conscious about tires, always check pressures on a regular basis, inspect before every trip, watch loading, weighing, etc.
I just think the whole industry suffers from poor quality control. Why there aren't more recalls I can't explain.
Recalls are based on a couple of items.
1. There have to be actual complaints filed with NHTSA and as a group the RV community would rather complain around a campfire or on an RV forum than file a complaint.

2. When complaints are filed there has to be some "loss" for the owner. Obviously physical injury is more important than just property damage.

This is why there are not more recalls. Did you see THIS info on a recall a few days ago?