Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2010, 07:19 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
I have the ADCO primarily to keep the wheels nice and from pitting in the salt air, spend a lot of time in the Florida Keys. I had them with a previous coach and seldom used them for short stays as they are a pain to bungee on and blow away in the wind without the bungees. While at a bait shop checkout, I noticed some heavy weight sinkers at the counter. I bought 8 of them and tie-wrapped them to the grommets on the covers. Now I put the cover over the top of the tire and just flip the weights behind the wheels. It works great!
Attached Images

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2010, 12:54 PM   #16

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The following is what Michelin says about tires in their Tire Guide.

"Unless you’re a full-time RV-er, your vehicle probably spends some time in long-term
storage. But what you probably didn’t know is that rubber tires age faster when not being
used. So, if you must store your RV, a cool, dry, sealed garage is your best bet. Also, some storage surfaces cause tires to age faster. That’s why Michelin recommends placing a barrier (cardboard, plastic or plywood) between your tire and the storage surface.
Here are some other steps you can take to help reduce the aging effects from long-term storage:
1) Thoroughly clean tires before placing into storage.
2) Cover tires to block direct sunlight and ultraviolet rays.
3) Store out of a high ozone area."
Old 03-28-2010, 05:48 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
My current rear dual tires have "aged out" versus worn out yet when comparing them to the Michelin Tire Crack chart that I included below, they would still be considered better than the top photos, yet they are almost 10 years old. Haven't put many miles on them in the 6 years I've owned the coach due to my job, maybe 2500 at best. However, when the coach is parked, I always keep them covered with the MCD Monaco custom tire covers. They are the best and never touch the tire for any moisture or heat transfer problems that other covers can cause. I invested in these covers as I knew that I would not be trading up coaches and would have them a long time. Easy to install and remove, keep clean and look professional all of the time. I get many compliments on them and other items I've installed on the coach to keep it looking the best I can. My only complaint is that some little critter has chewed into the Monaco emblem on two covers, oh well.

I am weeks away from replacing all 6 tires prior to our Alaska trip this coming May. The two front tires are only about 6 years old with 2500 miles on them but those will be used to have as spare rubber if needed out in the boonies and can't find the same size tire.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Michelin_Sidewall_Crack_Chart_1.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	3556   Click image for larger version

Name:	GEDC0199.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	3557  

Name:	Tire Cover-2.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	3558  
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 06:14 AM   #18
AL

Florida Cooters Club
Nor'easters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Hey All,

I bought two set's of white ones at Wal-Mart in Fla, 2008 for $19 a set! They are on for the 6-7 months I am in Fla, plus anytime I am parked for extended period of time! They look as good now as the day I bought them! Not sure if they do anything or not, but I think they make the unit look nicer,LOL!! Just my 2 cents worth!!
Old 03-28-2010, 06:48 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
pics of home made wheel covers with snaps

Here you go Dave.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3975.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	3559   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3976.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	3560  

Old 03-28-2010, 08:13 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintman607 View Post
Here you go Dave.
Now thats the best Idea I have seen.
Big Bear Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 11:49 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Paintman607, What kind of material is that and where did you get it? The previous owner of my MH had something like that, I have the snap already on the MH but the covers are gone. I like that idea too.
ScottsJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 03:01 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by slp45 View Post
Paintman607, What kind of material is that and where did you get it? The previous owner of my MH had something like that, I have the snap already on the MH but the covers are gone. I like that idea too.
The material is Poly CB2 MX90. Do a google search and you should find the company (fmsscreen.com).I am not pushing this product or by any means telling anybody to use the same thing. You all might find something better. I did do research and called the company. Everything turned out perfect. If you already have snaps, your way ahead of the ball game. This material just has to be cut and used according to the people at fms. But me being so anal about everything my wife used her sewing skills around the fabric. Good luck
Old 03-28-2010, 05:38 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A good material would be Sunbrella. Guaranteed for five years, even against fading and it breathes. Sunbrella is the material in the marine industry. I would go with a light color for heat reasons. I would keep them covered. Michelin says replace at 10 years regardless, or sooner if they have bad cracks (see previous chart). Mine are six years old and look like new, they have 4200 miles on them. Needless to say I will be replacing them due to time not miles.
Lakeman1 is offline   Reply With Quote