Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2015, 01:08 PM   #15

This is a really old thread but you can use just about anything. I cut up an old Sunbrella cover and wrap the tires with that. Also hang a section of that old cover across the front end that is always exposed to the sun.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2015, 02:45 PM   #16

Name:   Wheel screens.jpg
Views: 820
Size:  15.3 KB
What I use

Old 04-24-2015, 04:37 PM   #17

White....all the time.....
Old 04-24-2015, 10:28 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
I did a temperature study. See the results in my photo album.
I am picking up my new MH next week and have been researching covers since the ones on my previous TT only lasted one summer in the AZ heat. The covers in your picture look like a much better quality than the ones I previously had. What brand are they?
Old 04-24-2015, 10:33 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentor View Post
Attachment 92434
What I use
Did you make this or buy it?
Old 04-24-2015, 11:24 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by azkunk View Post
Did you make this or buy it?
I had a marine canvas shop make them for me, not cheap but simple and quick to use and store and they do the job, they last for years. For those that say they don't need tire covers, why are covers getting destroyed?
Old 04-25-2015, 06:47 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by spsm View Post
I like what DW did in post #9 and maybe sew bubblewrap on the inside. But then don't forget to use them.
Thanks, here we are several years after my DW made the tire covers. We still have the cover on the kayak trailer & no sign of deterioration. We no longer have the motor home she made the covers for, We now have black covers that seem to be holding up for the past 2 years.
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 06:50 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentor View Post
I had a marine canvas shop make them for me, not cheap but simple and quick to use and store and they do the job, they last for years. For those that say they don't need tire covers, why are covers getting destroyed?
Very good point!
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 10:09 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Rubber chemistry is such that the rate at which rubber "ages" doubles with each 20 degrees F of temperature change (numbers approximate).

So for every month you park with the tires in the sun they "age" an extra two weeks due to the elivated temperature.
This says they age faster at higher temperatures, but doesn't necessarily mean they only last half as long. Aging of the rubber is but one factor in the useful life of a tire and it is debatable whether it is even a significant factor. We cannot say, for example, that a tire that is NOT COVERED will last 10 years, but a tire that is COVERED at every opportunity will last 20 years. Too many other factors come into play to try to isolate just one of them. At best we can say that covering a tire may help it last longer. MAY.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 10:46 AM   #24
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
This says they age faster at higher temperatures, but doesn't necessarily mean they only last half as long. Aging of the rubber is but one factor in the useful life of a tire and it is debatable whether it is even a significant factor. We cannot say, for example, that a tire that is NOT COVERED will last 10 years, but a tire that is COVERED at every opportunity will last 20 years. Too many other factors come into play to try to isolate just one of them. At best we can say that covering a tire may help it last longer. MAY.

I agree. I didn't mean to imply that covering tires would double their life and counteract all other things that reduce tire life BUT I do believe, based on Science (yes I am a "Scientist") that excess heat can REDUCE tire durability significantly.

Rubber needs to bend and stretch as you drive. If it can't it will tear and break. With enough tearing parts (belts for example) can come apart.

I have seen tires fail with belt separations with zero miles where just the inflation pressure and heat degradation allowed the belt forces to exceed the belt rubber strength.

There are a number of pictures of external mount spare tires failing with belt separations. Always on the Top side. Now maybe the failing on the side with most direct exposure to the Sun's heat is just bad luck in that the manufacturing defects just always ended up being on the top side but I think the odds are against that.

Tire covers protect from UV AND can reduce heat.
IMO a solid black cover that wraps around the tire might be worse as with no air circulation the heat is trapped and goes into the tire.
However based on measurements I did last Aug Black or dark screen covers that hang off the side of the RV as seen in the picture in post #16 can work fine as the tire does not heat up.
If you have the solid vinyl covers then White is the way to go.

I would rather sacrifice a cover than cut the life of a tire by a year or two. Do the math. Assume 7 year or 8 year tire life. Does a cover cost 1/7 th the price of a tire

My covers are 7 years old (I live in Ohio) and are not looking great. Just replaced my 2 fronts and will probably replace the 2 covers I use (Sun is usually on one side so I only use 2 covers)
My tires have zero cracking but am planning on doing a three year purchase cycle of 2 tires a year with newest always going on the front.
Old 04-25-2015, 10:59 AM   #25

Workhorse Chassis Owner
UV will destroy the covers also. I use 303 protectant on the tires and the covers. The covers are now 11 years old and in fine shape.

az bound is offline   Reply With Quote