Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2010, 09:24 PM   #29

Ditto with Zaino. Great UV protetion, non petro.
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2010, 11:43 PM   #30

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Of course any of these products are for looks only. They are not protecting anything but the outside( visible) side of the tire, the inside sidewall is also exposed to ozone, road-laden chemicals and oils, etc.
How many actually crawl under the RV and coat the inside sidewalls? Those that do not are just doing it for looks.
Hey, I have to agree with Ray...............I'm from the old school. I have never liked the shinny look on my tires. I have always used soap and water and scrubbed like crazy, even in the portawall & whitewall days, yes I'm 69, and I think it's just hipe, never lost a tire yet in a lot of years, go figure. I want my motorhome looking like Mr.Clean, not all shinny. Good luck,
David G.
justimagination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 02:50 AM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Direct from Michelin...

I wrote Michelin and asked if any tire dressings are safe. This is their answer:

As with cleaning of any rubber products, proper cleaning method must be used to obtain the maximum years of service from your tires. A soft brush and the normal mild soap you would use to clean your RV may be used. . If you use a dressing product to "protect" your tires from aging, use extra care and caution. The dressings that contain petroleum products, alcohol or silicones will cause deteriorations or cracking and accelerate the aging process. In many cases, it is not the dressing itself that can cause the problem, but the chemical reaction that the product can have with the antioxidant in the tire. Heat can add to the negative reaction.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:58 PM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by azloafer View Post
I wrote Michelin and asked if any tire dressings are safe. This is their answer:

As with cleaning of any rubber products, proper cleaning method must be used to obtain the maximum years of service from your tires. A soft brush and the normal mild soap you would use to clean your RV may be used. . If you use a dressing product to "protect" your tires from aging, use extra care and caution. The dressings that contain petroleum products, alcohol or silicones will cause deteriorations or cracking and accelerate the aging process. In many cases, it is not the dressing itself that can cause the problem, but the chemical reaction that the product can have with the antioxidant in the tire. Heat can add to the negative reaction.
I'm having to have 3 tires replaced because of cracking and the first thing Michelin wanted to know was I using any type of tire dressing. I was told by the Area Rep that if I had, I would have void my warranty... Any way, Michelin decided to allow me $300 per tire...Tires were 38 months old and had a little over 32,000 miles on them.
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote