Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-10-2013, 11:35 AM   #15
Winnebago Owners Club
Originally Posted by jpharley View Post
I am not sure that I would sell questionable tires to someone else. Those tires may look good but the prevailing thought is that age is the killer of tires. 5 years is just about the max age for any tire.
From what I have seen, dump truck owners that run in the quarries like to buy these tires. They usually only get a few days to months out of tires due to rocks cutting sidewalls.
Just my opinion, but 5 years replacement if not worn out is throwing your money away. Again Just My Opinion. I follow the manufactures recommendations & maintain my tires properly.

Dan Sees, Full Timing in the MH & Part timing in a S&B In Hampstead, NC
2013 Winnebago Journey 42e, 2014 Featherlite Car Hauler 3110 17.5', 2008 Mazda MX5,
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2013, 03:57 PM   #16
Fleetwood Owners Club
Bought 6 Sumitomos last March (275/70/22.5) for $2412 out the door. With 10+ year old rubber, you at serious risk of spending many multiples of that with a blowout.

so47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 05:56 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
I would change all 6 as soon as possible. 10 years old is too old to be safe. I blew an inside dual about 8 years ago and it done almost $5,000 damage to my MH. Luckily no one was hurt. Those tires had 12,000 miles on them and looked brand new. They were 6 years old....
Terry & Brenda - From the Iowa Banks of the Mighty Mississippi
2011 Winnie Journey 34y, Freightliner / Cummins , 2012 Chevy Colorado Toad

Chiefbvfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 05:31 AM   #18
Thanks for all the help here. I'm having 6 new Sumitomos put on this week for me it's about not putting the family or anyone else at risk and just plain old piece of mind. I'll put the old ones up for sale like other posters have said I'm sure there are those that could use them in non highway or even public road ways. Thanks again.
mothgrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:11 AM   #19
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would not be scared to drive on them as they are only 9, not 10. but I was just on the Mitchlin tire stie and they do recommend changing them ASAP.

So I would drive them to my nearest Belle Tire Truck center (The local Dealer for that kind of tire) or some other Tire Center that

1: Does trucks

2: Carries the type and size I need.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:13 AM   #20
My 5 year old G670's looked great until the the right inner on the rear dual blew throwing the tread belt. After 5 years especially if you drive on Southern Interstates is asking for trouble.

Even the Michelins which they claim are good past 5 years have a caviat in that you have to annually dismount them after the fifth year of usage and have them inspected to ensure that they are still safe to ride on.

If it is a front tire that blows you could end up rolling the coach and end up buying the farm. Even if the tire just throws the treads without blowing it can still cause thousands in damages to a coach. Then there is the liability towards anyone near you that could get hit by the tire debris such as a pedestrian, passenger with his window down, occupants of a convertible with the top down or a motorcyclist.

Some food for thought:
Tire shelf life blamed for number of central Florida crashes | www.wftv.com
Neil V
2001 Winnebago Adventurer WFG35U
NeilV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 05:08 PM   #21
Country Coach Owners Club

We bought current my couple of months ago tires looked real good but PO told me hee had coach 4 yrs and the tires were on it when he got it ..... I tried to get one more trip before I replaced them...... cost me $703 and 2.5 hers on interstate to fix one. Chang them voice of experience
Richard & Marika ,
40' Country Coach Intrigue
gutsgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 07:47 AM   #22
6 new Sumitomos on it....... Pick it up today.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:46 PM   #23
I went to the shop that put the tires on to pick up the old tires so I could sell on craigslist. He asked what Iwas going to do with them and I told him. He offered me 300 for them. I know I could get more on CL for them but for me that's a pain in the butt to do. So sold!
6 new Sumitomos after selling old tires 1500.00