Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-08-2016, 07:53 AM   #1
Tire load rating upgrade

Hi, I just bought a 25 ft 5th wheel thats been sitting for a couple of years. I want to put new tires on it. The tires it has now are ST 225 75D 15, should I upgrade to a E rated with 10 ply or do I need to stay with the same tire it came stock with? Thanks , oh the trailer weighs 7,600 lbs dry

savedfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2016, 07:55 AM   #2

Going higher in tire load rating is a good move. The thing to check for is diameter and thread width. Don't grow that too much to keep clearances.

Dale & Mark Bruss
10 Years Full-Timing now 40' Travel Supreme
Now with a 2016 Bounder 33C
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 08:00 AM   #3
Okay, The only thing I would be changing is the D to E and 8 ply to 10 ply.
savedfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 08:48 AM   #4
I've had good luck with E's. Take a look at these: Radial Trail HD

New tire with positive reports to date.
timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 07:32 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The "E" tire can carry a heavier load IF it is inflated to a higher psi. If you don't plan to do that, or if your wheels max inflation is only in the "D" range anyway, you don't gain anything. If your trailer came with D load tires, I suspect the wheels were selected to match and have a 65 psi limit. If so, that's the most you can use in the tires and the E gains you nothing. You would need to upgrade the wheels as well as the tires.

You may find this article helpful:

You should consider the axle weight ratings (GAWR) and try to make sure the combined load capacity of the two tires on each axle exceed the max axle rating. For example, if you have two 3500 lb axles, the tires on each need to be able to carry more than 1750 lbs each. A 225/75R15D is rated for about 2540 lbs each, so that would be fine and you don't need a bigger tire. But if the axles are 5000 lbs each, then the d rated tire is marginal, with only 40 lbs of load capacity above what is needed. You can find the axle GAWRs on the federal weight sticker/plate on the left front of the trailer somewhere.

An alternative may be to go to a slightly wider tire and gain capacity that way. Measure the space in the wheel wells, though, to make sure they won't rub.
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 08:54 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"
Newmar Owners Club
When someone asks about replacing their trailer tires, I always tell them the same thing.....replace them with light truck tires in the same size. The trailer tires are often expensive, hard riding and just don't hold up, especially on a heavy trailer (not your case).

Don & Mary
2014 Newmar Dutch Star - All Electric - 450 ISL
2016 GMC Canyon 4WD Crew Cab
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote