Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2013, 07:46 AM   #15

Agree that some soapy water solution is your best technique. As stated the core seals, not the cap. Although a metal cap may have a rubber ring inside that could be sealing if the core is leaking. The cap is not intended as the air seal. Look over the tread carefully for anything like a nail or screw. You should be able to take it to the orig install place and have it checked for free. Any tire shop can do it as long as the tire size is in their capability. If y ou do have a nail or screw in the tread, have it dismounted and a real patch put on inside. A plug can work, but it is not as good or permanent as the patch. Also when dismoutned for the repair, you can check the bead area is clean for best sealing after the repair.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2013, 10:06 AM   #16

Had an interesting leak just a few weeks ago. Every once in a while, while checking before a trip, I'd find my inner rear dual leaked down to zero. Use my little pump to get it up to 25PSI and limp to a truck stop to top it off at 90PSI. Then off I'd drive, checking periodically. On the road, it would always be right. And it would stay right. Sometimes for weeks.

Three times over a years time, I had it removed and checked by a shop. Immersed in water and all. Never found a leak. It was a head scratcher and the shops had no idea what the problem might be.

Finally, it did it at an RV park right across the street from a truck tire shop. Got it up to 25PSI, limped across the street, explained the problem and they had the tire off before the day grew warm. Immersing it in a tank, it showed bubbles coming from the wheel!

With the tire off the rim, we could see tiny rust through spots in the rim. Just two of them. What was happening was that overnight, on cold nights, the rim would shrink just enough to allow air to escape. Driving it a while would cause the rim to expand enough to choke off the leak. So once the tire was warm it wouldn't leak. This explains why 3 shops couldn't find a leak. Why I could drive for weeks at a time without it going flat is a mystery.

They checked around for a new wheel with no luck. So I had them clean up the area around the holes, and we put a couple of Eternabond patches over them. No leaking so far. Another use for Eternabond.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:43 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I think I found mine with the valve core, we shall see.

Just bought a nice air compressor off Amazon does 85# quickly don't know how good it is beyond that, only weighs 20#'s. I carry it in the MH low amp draw 110v,

Old 09-09-2013, 05:48 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Being the tire is that new, I would think it would be under warranty. Who is your road service provider. You could call them and have them service it even if your sitting at home. I assume you have 16" tires so that shouldn't be a problem for them to take care of it on the spot. Good Luck.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote