Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2013, 03:48 PM   #1

Tire Losing pressure

We had our 31 ft. class C being worked on for 5 weeks. It was sitting in the guy's yard. Anyway we drove it home and I saw a tire was low. It measured at 10 pounds.
So I put 80 pounds in it three hours ago and now its down to 63 pounds. So it has a slow leak.
Two questions:
Can it having lost the cap make it lose that much pressure and that fast?
I assume not.
Also we bought it a little more than 3 months ago to replace a bad tire. It is a BF Goodrich. Those have a warranty. Can I take it to any place that sells BF Goodrich and get it replaced or repaired under the warranty?
Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2013, 04:03 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Cap or not, should not lose air. Look for a nail (but don't pull it out if you find one). For a slow leak I usually swap the valve core and ensure the valve core is not screwed in too tight, before I get involved in having it pulled and repaired.

Depending on the size some GY dealers may not handle it methinks. Suggest to call around first.

Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 04:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard2003 View Post
We had our 31 ft. class C being worked on for 5 weeks. It was sitting in the guy's yard. Anyway we drove it home and I saw a tire was low. It measured at 10 pounds.
So I put 80 pounds in it three hours ago and now its down to 63 pounds. So it has a slow leak.
Two questions:
Can it having lost the cap make it lose that much pressure and that fast?
I assume not.
Also we bought it a little more than 3 months ago to replace a bad tire. It is a BF Goodrich. Those have a warranty. Can I take it to any place that sells BF Goodrich and get it replaced or repaired under the warranty?
Thanks
Like vsheets said, cap or no cap the tire should not leak air. You have a leak somewhere. First stop, call the place you bought the tire and they should find the leak. Get it fix asap, life of the tire is shorten by low air pressure, driving or sitting.
Old 09-02-2013, 04:46 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Could just be a bad valve or maybe a rim leak as well as a nail. Wouldn't cost much to replace the valve and nothing to check for a nail. Some soapy water is your friend here.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:04 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
If you can't find the leak, take the mounted tire to a local tire dealer. They can put it in a dunk tank and quickly isolate the leak. Alternately, if you have a kiddy pool...
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:39 PM   #6

Update. Today I checked the pressure and it has not gone down from a few days ago since I put air in. All I did since then is put a new cap on it.
Maybe its not leaking because it is sitting in the driveway?
Old 09-05-2013, 04:50 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Leave the cap off and see if it still leaks.

Your valve core can still be leaking, but the cap is containing it. Go to an auto parts store and pick up a valve core tool and tighten it up. I would buy another core and replace it.
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:57 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Could be a slow leak in the valve and the cap is taking care of it. Easy enough to check. Take cap off, put soapy water on valve and look for bubbles.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:02 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have the same problem, outside right rear was leaking down. Made arrangements to have it repaired and it had quit leaking. Took a 2600 mile trip no leak. Then it went completely flat, zero pressure setting for a week. Aired it up to 85 and has not lost any now in about 2 weeks. Gave the valve stem the spit test, no leak, GRRRRRRRRRRRRR.
Old 09-05-2013, 05:21 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Sometimes the leak is where the valve stem goes into the wheel. That is what happened to me.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:23 AM   #11

Had the same problem with wife's Jeep. Grabbed my trusty spray bottle of 50/50 liquid soap and water and wet the entire tire, then waited. Shortly I spotted a small mound of bubbles forming. Drove to my local tire repair shop, where they de-mounted the tire to discover a small finishing nail.
Valve caps made of plastic are not true caps, they are merely dust covers. Only metal valve caps will prevent air loss from a leaking core.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:03 AM   #12

A few thoughts:

1) Valve stems can leak, and ambient temps and pressure can cause them to hold air for hours/days/weeks, then overnight leak down to zero.
2) A cracked or rusted through steel rim can exhibit the same symptoms as #1.
3) Some shops have no idea that the core needs to be a heavy duty (truck) type valve. Often they put in 35PSI valves for small tires. These have a lighter spring and can leak after you check air pressure as the higher pressure RV tires use causes them to seal poorly.
4) There are a lot of cheap Chinese cores out there. Avoid them. Or at least tell the shop you need a truck tire core.
5) Valve extensions, especially the braided type, age and can leak. Cheaper brands have poor seals. Check them.

And of course, have the tire shop check for nails or screws.

Yes, any shop that sells that brand should be able to handle your warranty. Call first as mentioned to be sure they can handle your size tire. I always look for 'Truck Tire' shops.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:20 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
A few thoughts:

3) Some shops have no idea that the core needs to be a heavy duty (truck) type valve. Often they put in 35PSI valves for small tires. These have a lighter spring and can leak after you check air pressure as the higher pressure RV tires use causes them to seal poorly.
4) There are a lot of cheap Chinese cores out there. Avoid them. Or at least tell the shop you need a truck tire core.

I had suspected a bad core (see earlier post) causing my problem and had changed it out, replacement was probably Chinese, isn't everything that's common hardware. Tire lost about 5 pounds last week in storage, I added air and checked the pressure and heard it leaking after checking. Changed out the core with another that I had on hand, one with the long spring on bottom.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:25 AM   #14

Something else to check is the bead. I had a tire with a slow, occasional leak on my Jeep Commander. Sometimes it would stay up for weeks, other times I'd find it 10 pounds or so low. I could find nothing in the tire. Took it to a tire shop with a dunk tank and they found it was leaking about the bead of the rim in about a 6 inch place. Dismounted the tire, cleaned the rim and remounted. No more trouble.

Cricket SW3 Personal Transporter
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote