Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2012, 04:00 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Tire Minder Issues

Before you purchase a tire monitoring system called Tire Minder consider the very poor customer support they have. I purchased the Tire Minder tire pressure monitoring system form Minder Research. After a series of false alarms at very bad times I contaced Minder Research. After talking to them several time I was pretty much told to "pound sand". I offered to send the unit back at my expense so they could find ouit what was wrong, but they did not want it. I had my dealer give the unit to the local distributor to see if he could help, but the company told him no. I now have a system that is very unreliable and is not in the garage.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2012, 04:41 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Well, that doesn't sound good. How long have you had the system? Sorry you're having the problem.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 10:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmayer View Post
Before you purchase a tire monitoring system called Tire Minder consider the very poor customer support they have. I purchased the Tire Minder tire pressure monitoring system form Minder Research. After a series of false alarms at very bad times I contaced Minder Research. After talking to them several time I was pretty much told to "pound sand". I offered to send the unit back at my expense so they could find ouit what was wrong, but they did not want it. I had my dealer give the unit to the local distributor to see if he could help, but the company told him no. I now have a system that is very unreliable and is not in the garage.
We recently bought this system and had the same issue after a rain storm. The false alarm really scared us, but per the Tire Minder website, their explanation makes sense to me. Hope this helps.

This is their response:Circumstance: Pressure loss warning after driving (vehicle is parked or traffic slows rapidly after high speed highway driving).

Explanation:Tires have heated up while driving at highway speeds. This can raise the pressures significantly. When the unit comes to a halt, this pressure will drop. Under normal conditions the drop in temperature is gradual. However, if it drops rapidly (3psi or more within 15 minutes), the TireMinder TPMS will beep and the red light will be activated. Obviously this should not be of concern as long as you know why the warning has occurred. The easiest way to stop the red light warning is to shut the monitor down completely (twice). This is done by pressing and holding the center button for 8 seconds (it will beep after 5 seconds continue to hold it down for another 3 seconds. The unit will then go completely dark. Wait 5 seconds and press the center button to re-activate the monitor. Repeat if the red light is still flashing.

Alternatively, simply loosen the transmitter in question and re-tighten after 5 seconds. This will reset the system instantly.

We apologize that this scenario was not in the original instructions. It is unfortunate that the system cannot distinguish between pressure loss due to an actual leak versus pressure loss due to a rapid drop in temperature.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:27 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
anybody else have any other brand TPMS that does this? my tyredog doesn't.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:44 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
My Doran Presssure Pro TPMS does NOT do this with 10 tires, 6 on the coach and 4 on the trailer or car.

The only problem I have had over the past 2 years and 20,000 miles has been some intermittent Lost Signal alerts on a few sensors.

The customer service at Doran is exceptional. I have always worked with Debbi Gerdes and she is now working on resolving an issue with four sensors I had sent to her just recently with Lost Signal alerts that have started to occur more frequently than previously.

In the past I would get a Lost Signal but it would reset itself quite quickly and not happen again for thousands of miles.

I am thinking that it has something to do with the seals but I am waiting for their Official Test Report on the sensors to see what the experts say.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 06-03-2012, 08:46 AM   #6

I have ten of the Tire Minder sensors on my rig and tow vehicle. I had issues with one sensor when I initially got the system. It would alarm after sustained highway speeds when I stopped for gas. It turns out that it was a combination of the pressure drop described above and an intermittently bad sensor. I got a new one and had no other issues over approx. 6,000 miles. The other sensors worked fine over a total of 8,600 miles, both in the heat of the Gulf Coast and the cold of the Dakotas.

Overall, I found the system to be reliable. The company states that false alarms/ lost signals could occur if the sensors are some distance away from the receiver without a repeater to boost the signals. I forget the exact distance, but I only have a 31 foot MH and I chose to buy the repeater and had no false signal issues.

The button batteries that power the sensors can be a bit expensive. They last two to three months so I only install the system on extended trips. When the RV is in storage or on short weekend trips, the sensors remain at home. I'm not sure how long other systems' sensors last but they are probably comparable.

I found the instruction manual to be adequate, if a bit spotty, but their website support answered my other questions.

I did have an issue with returning the bad sensor. It was only a few weeks old and still under warranty. I was told by Tire Minder to take it back to the store where I purchased it. Unfortunately, the store and receipt were back in Portland OR and we were somewhere around New Mexico at the time. I never got around to returning the sensor after we got back home. That kinda t'ed me off.

Keith
Old 06-03-2012, 12:12 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
The Tire Minder feature of sensing pressure loss is really bogus. Sure tires will heat-up and or drop due to different conditions. The alarm should be set to detect a pressure that drops a certain percentage below the set pressure.

The Doran 360 system works that way.

fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 02:08 PM   #8

The Tire Minder system works this way:

1.) Tire pressure loss of nominally 15% to 25% (your choice) of 'set' pressure (also your choice). Set pressures are user-programmed individually for each tire; I have my RV's front and rear tire sets and the tow vehicle's all programmed differently.

2.) 'Semi rapid' pressure loss of 6 psi in 2-10 minutes. (This is the one that most likely could be triggering the alarm issue described above.)

3.) 'Rapid' pressure loss of 3 psi in less than 2 minutes.

4.) 'High' pressure alert of 20% over set pressure.

It seems to me that if anything the Tire Minder is overly engineered. Numbers 2 and 3 seem somewhat unnecessary, but I can see the rational for including them.

Regardless, since the tire pressures read out in psi, you'll be able to see whether an alarm is true or false. The rapid cooldown alarm happened to me with only one bad sensor in an intermittent manner until I replaced it. No issues since.

The system is designed to be highly tailored the to the owner's setup. As such, it requires the owner to completely understand the system and program it accordingly. Improper programming of pressures and setpoints could certainly result in spurious alarms.

Keith
Old 06-03-2012, 07:15 PM   #9

I have the Hawkshead system and it does the same thing as well as some other problems like false and phantom readings. Complaints to the company have been met with the system is fine and it's the damp air in my tires causing the problems and I should be running nitrogen. Funny that their advertising does not mention nitrogen as a requirement. My warranty is gone ( I did get one sensor replaced) and I've worked around a lot of the false alarms by playing with the pressure settings. I still use it but not a system I would recomend to anyone else.
srydve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 08:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainsktg View Post
It seems to me that if anything the Tire Minder is overly engineered. Numbers 2 and 3 seem somewhat unnecessary, but I can see the rational for including them.
Yes, exactly. A tire will lose the same amount of pressure as it cools regardless of which TPMS system is installed. If a TPMS system doesn't alert to this then it has simply been designed to be less sensitive. Or I suppose you could say that the Tire Minder is too sensitive, but my preference would be to be informed and use my own judgment rather than have the alert be based on less-sensitive criteria. In the case of the TireMinder this occurs only rarely and only under certain conditions. Once you know what is causing it it really isn't an issue at all.

As to TireMinder customer support, FWIW all other mentions I have read have been very positive.
Old 08-05-2012, 04:50 PM   #11

TireMinder Works for Me

I took a 4000 mile trip in my 2002 Monaco Monarch after installing a TireMinder system. It worked great, and gives a lot of peace of mind. Rather than staring at the video image of the toad to see if it is acting eratically, or hoping I could feel a rear dual go flat before both tires were ruined, I had the TireMinder to keep track and warn me.

I had occasion to contact customer service before the trip, and they were great.

The pressures shown don't exactly reflect the pressures I had measured with two good tire gauges, so I wrote them down for quick reference to compare with what was shown on the trip.

I would buy this system, again.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:20 PM   #12

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainsktg View Post

I did have an issue with returning the bad sensor. It was only a few weeks old and still under warranty. I was told by Tire Minder to take it back to the store where I purchased it. Unfortunately, the store and receipt were back in Portland OR and we were somewhere around New Mexico at the time. I never got around to returning the sensor after we got back home. That kinda t'ed me off.

Keith
So, you're "t'ed" off at yourself?
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:58 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I bought this system through an online reseller a few years ago. I had a lot of problems at first, the original system never arrived, the only time I've ever had something get stolen in transit.
The company (Minder Research) sent me a replacement, but I could tell they thought I was faking the report of the missing system.
When I received the replacement system, nothing worked. The power supply was dead, the batteries were shot, I had problems with the sensors. I called and they sent me a replacement power supply but the sensors kept dropping, so they sent me replacement batteries.
I still had a problem with sensors dropping, so I bought a repeater from CW. It was defective. I called Minder Research and they sent me a replacement repeater.
Now, everything works. I have had the false alarm problem but now I know what it is. However for the hassle and problems I've had I should have/would have bought something else.
To their credit, they have been responsive after we got past the missing unit problem. I just think there are better systems for the same money.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:57 PM   #14

I have just bought one and have used it twice. On both trips I had the alarm go off showing my 80 lb pressure was reading about 96lbs. Once I pulled over to let air out ...... wrong, and the second time I just left it alone and after about 15 minutes it stopped and appeared to be working properly.