Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2011, 09:11 PM   #1

Tire monitors

Have been looking at TSTtruck tire pressure and temperature monitor system 507. 507 is same as 510 system except it appears to allow user to replace sensor batteries. 510 requires sensor to be returned to TSTtruck for battery replacement.

Looking at 10 sensor system to monitor coach and toad tires. Coach is 36' long and I have heard some systems have issues with coaches over 30' in length.

Any comments about TST or recommendations for other systems will be appreciated.
cpat39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2011, 09:27 PM   #2

I have the 507 and have had no problems picking up the toad, ours is 34' long but even when the toad is parked in the home garage that is 40' away the base unit will read the sensors. That is when the motorhome garage overhead door is open, to allow the signal out, it's a all metal building.
Doghauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:41 PM   #3

I have the 510. I will say that the customer service from TST is fantastic. I do not have the extra repeater or whatever it is called, but have been very pleased with performance on our 35 foot coach towing a Suzuki Sidekick. Call TST and visit with them about the systems. I thought about changing to the other one, but now think I'll stay where I am. The peace of mind monitors will give you is worth a lot. I know of 3 times it has saved us from a problem I wouldn't have known about until it was a big problem. I will never willingly be without my monitors again. Good luck, HarveyP

Cummins/Allison
HarveyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:57 PM   #4

Where did you get your 507 ? Does it seem to work well? How difficult is it to install?

May we have the details? :~)
MikeandClaudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:29 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We purchased the 510 system a year ago. I eventually returned the entire system to TST because we were having nothing but trouble with it. They replaced the monitor, and also three of the ten sensors that were malfunctioning. They did not charge anything for the service. I haven't put the system back into service yet, so I don't know if all is good.

Personally, if I were to purchase a tire pressure monitoring system again, the system would have to have sensors that would allow me to check tire pressure and add air to the tires without having to remove the sensors from the valve stems.
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:36 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimkate View Post
Personally, if I were to purchase a tire pressure monitoring system again, the system would have to have sensors that would allow me to check tire pressure and add air to the tires without having to remove the sensors from the valve stems.
That is why I bought the Tire-SafeGuard system with flow thru sensors.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 12:38 AM   #7

I just installed the 507 system before my first trip two weeks ago. System worked flawlessly. It even had a beep that my not so perfect ears could hear. After I installed it, I found it would have been easier if I had found the full instructions in the bottom of the shipping box.

TST even gave me a 15% discount for trading in my Hella TC-400 system that I had on my 5er. Abby took my word for it when it got sent to their old address and went ahead and gave me the discount without receiving the old unit first.

The monitor was just the right size to go where it was easy to see and operate. With the built in Li-ion battery, I can check #s and °s from inside my house on all 10 tires.

The monitor and sensors go to sleep when they do not detect motion or the sensors are removed during the off-season. The system comes with a cigar lighter adapter or it can be hard wired to 12V as I did.

Although it doesn't have the option to fill the tires with the sensors installed, I would highly recommend the 507 system.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:06 AM   #8

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
That is why I bought the Tire-SafeGuard system with flow thru sensors.
Can you change the batteries on the sensors or do you have to replace the sensors when the batteries go south?
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 12:23 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I have the 507 system as well, and highly recommend it.

I had one "bad sensor? At install, they shipped me another immediately. The bad sensor turned out to be operator error.

I've had 1 low battery alarm. No sweat to replace the sensor battery. Kinda soon i'd think but no biggy.

System came with a larger separate antenna. It picks up the toad better (but still not perfect) if I use it.

And I haven't lost so much of a pound of air from any tire.
I installed the sensors 1/4 turn past "no hiss"
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 12:29 PM   #10

I just got mine and it only came with a ~1" antenna. No problem with reception.

Old 11-10-2011, 01:36 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimkate View Post
Why would you need to check the pressure at the tire when it is on the monitor?

I use the Pressure Pro and at the end of September when I take off the sensors for the winter. I air the tires up to plus 20% PSI of my weight PSI.
Then next spring when getting ready for my summer long trip.

I let air out of the tires down to my weight PSI plus 10 PSI.
Then I put the sensors on. And never need to add more air the whole summer. Have been doing that for over 7 years.

So I see no need for the ones you can air up without taking off.
Now my toad does need some added air over the summer. But screwing off the sensor on it, is no more trouble then screwing off the regular valve cap.

My sensors are now 7 years 3 months old and batteries are still working in them.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 07:47 PM   #12

From the TST website; the replaceable batteries last 10-12 months. The sealed sensors have a battery lifespan of 7 years. Calculate annual battery cost vs the sealed sensor replacement cost (presently $!9)
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 08:18 PM   #13

What size batteries do they take? Dollar Tree has multi-packs of button cell batteries for $1.00. I use their AA and AAA, Sunbeam brand, alkaline batteries, and they are as good as Duracell or Energizer.

Old 11-10-2011, 11:27 PM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Triker56,

When we installed our new TST system, we would have low tire pressure warnings for some tires in the mornings. That required removing the sensors to check the actual tire pressures. Finally we realized that the sensors were giving false readings.

Also, after a couple of thousand miles, we had two rear tires that needed a little bit of air. These two tires had Borg Warner extensions, and for some reason the TST sensors are made of a material that react with the material of the extensions, and they "weld" or corrode together. I destroyed both of my special sensor wrenches trying to remove the sensors, and finally removed the extensions entirely to be able to put some air in the tires.

So, for the above stated reasons, in future, my next tire pressure monitoring system will have sensors that allow me to check tire pressure and inflate/deflate my tires without removing the sensors
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote