Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2014, 08:10 AM   #1

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Tire Pressure

I just put 6 new Michelin's on my motor home. I asked the fellow what air pressure he put in. He said 80 lbs. That is the maximum on the side wall.
I have read numerous posts on tire pressure and I have read about weighing and calculating what the tire pressure should be and it seems to be quite a concern for some people.

I have always done this! If it was a Ken-worth and trailer combo the pressures were what the tire side wall said normally 115 lbs. I even did this on the family car. I have had 4 aircraft that got the same thing what the tire was pressure rated at.

This is not my first set of Michelin's and won't be my last.
My question is what is all this talk about weighing and calculating what the tire pressures should be?
Could somebody tell me why I should do something different? I have always been satisfied with the service I have gotten from my tires.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2014, 09:25 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
You heard right. You should weigh the MH, preferably using scales that will allow you to weigh each wheel separately. You can go to the Michelin website and print out a tire pressure chart for your series of tires. From that you will be able to calculate what the pressure should be in each tire. Most folks add 5 lbs to the chart recommendations.

The other way, and one you should use until you get it weighed, is to look at the manufacturer's recommended tire pressures for that particular MH. Mine were on a sheet on the wall behind the driver's seat.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 11:57 AM   #3

Yep on the weigh in. A friend just got back from Freightliner School in GA. last week. They weighed his coach and calculated new tire pressures for the front and rear axle. He was way over inflated on the front but good on the rear. It is really the only proper way to do it as the chassis manufacturer and tire manufacturer have no idea how the builder constructs the coach, so you can't go by the chassis sticker or the sidewall tire pressure.
Old 06-13-2014, 12:07 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I don't think there is anything at all wrong with your approach from a safety perspective... so long as your wheels are rated for pressures at least as high as the tires mounted on them.

The problem, comes from a handling and ride comfort perspective.

When my 07 40DP was brand new, it came with the tires inflated to the 120# max. On my fist trip, I feared that I had made a horrible mistake by purchasing this coach.

It seemed to wander all over the road and even the expansion joints on the freeway seemed to be transmitted all the way through the coach and up through the steering wheel. It was a nightmare to drive.

Now, on this first trip, the coach was very lightly loaded and tires were still inflated to the max.

After reading up on the topic here on this forum, I got the coach loaded, weighed and then dropped the inflation to 95# per the Michelin inflation tables and it made all the difference in the driving experience and ride comfort.

That's my story and I'm sticking with it.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 04:55 PM   #5

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosticks View Post
Yep on the weigh in. A friend just got back from Freightliner School in GA. last week. They weighed his coach and calculated new tire pressures for the front and rear axle. He was way over inflated on the front but good on the rear. It is really the only proper way to do it as the chassis manufacturer and tire manufacturer have no idea how the builder constructs the coach, so you can't go by the chassis sticker or the sidewall tire pressure.
OK so he was over inflated on the front. What was the pressure the manufacture recommended and how much over inflated was he?
Old 06-14-2014, 04:58 PM   #6

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
I don't think there is anything at all wrong with your approach from a safety perspective... so long as your wheels are rated for pressures at least as high as the tires mounted on them.

The problem, comes from a handling and ride comfort perspective.

When my 07 40DP was brand new, it came with the tires inflated to the 120# max. On my fist trip, I feared that I had made a horrible mistake by purchasing this coach.

It seemed to wander all over the road and even the expansion joints on the freeway seemed to be transmitted all the way through the coach and up through the steering wheel. It was a nightmare to drive.

Now, on this first trip, the coach was very lightly loaded and tires were still inflated to the max.

After reading up on the topic here on this forum, I got the coach loaded, weighed and then dropped the inflation to 95# per the Michelin inflation tables and it made all the difference in the driving experience and ride comfort.

That's my story and I'm sticking with it.

Rick
In your case because of the ride and handling I agree you had to do something or it just is no fun if you can enjoy the ride
Old 06-14-2014, 05:13 PM   #7

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I put new tires on because they were getting checked from age and it was time to change. And of course the new tires made a difference with the handling but never noticed a difference in ride.
I just find there is a lot of discussion about weighing and inflation pressure that seems to be emphasized on the RV sites. Commercial trucks are a different story,light load today heavy load tomorrow. Same pressure for all. 22 wheels and adjusting pressure for load would drive the average person stupid.
I always run Michelin but I really don't get their RV inflation charts are they worried about liability. I think the average person probably has never driven much bigger than the family car. Or has been involved with tires.
Sorry if I twisted my view a bit but I just don't get it. How about other people with truck or bus experience chiming in on this.
Old 06-14-2014, 07:23 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I think the argument for lowering tire pressure is more for the lighter gas chassis motorhomes. They seem to have more ride and handling problems and the manufacturers offer this advice to make them more drive able. You car comes with tires manufactured for that range of vehicle and you run the pressure on the sidewall.
Bigger diesel pushers usually on air rides probably won't feel much difference in tire pressure.
I spent 35 years trucking wearing out tires and always ran max pressure. The ones that failed were usually ones that had a leak and ran under pressure.
Prior to my trucking days I worked in a retread facility and was a certified Michelin repair guy. We mainly worked on mining and construction tires but also handled truck tires.
I have watched hrs. and hrs. of Michelin training videos of testing tires at different air pressures and the worst thing was under inflation.
This causes heat build up and leads to premature wear and tire failure.
In these video's they had cameras mounted under vehicle and ran them on a test track at different air pressures. It was shocking to see how differently these tire performed.

I will run close on the tire manufacturers rated air pressure and you can do what you want. Just thought I would throw in my 2c .
Old 06-15-2014, 09:35 AM   #9

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickest1 View Post
I think the argument for lowering tire pressure is more for the lighter gas chassis motorhomes. They seem to have more ride and handling problems and the manufacturers offer this advice to make them more drive able. You car comes with tires manufactured for that range of vehicle and you run the pressure on the sidewall.
Bigger diesel pushers usually on air rides probably won't feel much difference in tire pressure.
I spent 35 years trucking wearing out tires and always ran max pressure. The ones that failed were usually ones that had a leak and ran under pressure.
Prior to my trucking days I worked in a retread facility and was a certified Michelin repair guy. We mainly worked on mining and construction tires but also handled truck tires.
I have watched hrs. and hrs. of Michelin training videos of testing tires at different air pressures and the worst thing was under inflation.
This causes heat build up and leads to premature wear and tire failure.
In these video's they had cameras mounted under vehicle and ran them on a test track at different air pressures. It was shocking to see how differently these tire performed.

I will run close on the tire manufacturers rated air pressure and you can do what you want. Just thought I would throw in my 2c .
I agree with everything you have said. 40 years as a mechanic and driver of all types of rigs I have never had any problems. Thank you for your reply
Wish I could have seen the videos you did. One thing is for sure if you run the inflation pressure stated on the tire you just can't go wrong.
Great 2c!

Tags
tire pressure