Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2015, 04:16 PM   #1

Smile Tire Pressure

I know there has been several discussions on tire pressure but mine may be a twist on the question. I saw a product from Crossfire called a tire pressure equalization valve. It basically equalizes the tire pressure between the back two wheels. The feature I like the best is there is a visible monitor to check your tire pressure without having to use a pressure gage. Has any one had any experience with this system?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2015, 07:39 PM   #2

Sounds scary, the monitor could tell you to get off the road in time , but then you're there with two flats , instead of just one; or if you can't get off the road, you could destroy a perfectly good tire by running it flat.
JMHO of course.

Old 08-15-2015, 07:49 PM   #3

American Coach Owners Club
I have them and like. They have a check valve that stops the second tire from losing air in the event one goes flat. (I HOPE) I ordered with individual valves for each tire which allows me to still use my TPMS system for each tire. They work good as both tires stay within about 1 pound measured with a gauge. The monitor gives you a quick visual check of the pressures. Still use a gauge before my trips and they seem to be close.
2017 Chevrolet 2500HD
mhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 01:30 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Sounds scary, the monitor could tell you to get off the road in time , but then you're there with two flats , instead of just one; or if you can't get off the road, you could destroy a perfectly good tire by running it flat.
JMHO of course.
There is a check valve so if one tire goes flat the other will not. I like the easy way to confirm your tire pressure and also one stem to fill both tires.
stevechris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 01:39 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhudson View Post
I have them and like. They have a check valve that stops the second tire from losing air in the event one goes flat. (I HOPE) I ordered with individual valves for each tire which allows me to still use my TPMS system for each tire. They work good as both tires stay within about 1 pound measured with a gauge. The monitor gives you a quick visual check of the pressures. Still use a gauge before my trips and they seem to be close.
I like having only one stem to fill both tires and an easy way to check my tire pressure. If I purchased a TPMS it would help with monitoring my tire pressure but I still like the one valve to fill both tires. Am I just being lazy? or is there value to my thinking? Thanks for your reply.
Old 08-16-2015, 10:03 AM   #6

Guess I should have read up on the system before posting.
But : If there is a check valve , to stop transfer of air in the event of sudden loss, how slow would a tire leak have to be before it wouldn't activate ? Just thinking, coach in storage, nail in a tire, loosing a couple of PSI a day, would that trigger the check valve ?
Old 08-16-2015, 02:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Guess I should have read up on the system before posting.
But : If there is a check valve , to stop transfer of air in the event of sudden loss, how slow would a tire leak have to be before it wouldn't activate ? Just thinking, coach in storage, nail in a tire, loosing a couple of PSI a day, would that trigger the check valve ?

If I am reading the information correctly the tire pressure equalization valve will stop after a loss of approximately 5 lbs. meaning if you have a slow leak on one tire after a loss of 5 lbs then the check valve will not allow any more loss of pressure to the good tire.
Old 08-16-2015, 05:18 PM   #8

American Coach Owners Club
Steve, I don't think you're being lazy! That's what I like about them also. The set I ordered have 3 stems. One on the main valve is common to both tires. I can add air there without having to remove my sensors. Then there is a "T" on each output side going to the tires. That's where I put my sensors. Still have a sensor for each tire and the convenience of just adding and checking air pressure at one common point.

Their main purpose is to keep the PSI equal between duals. They do that well as I never see more than 1 PSI difference as the temperature goes up and down. (That's probably the difference in sensors) I still check my pressure with a gauge before trips and then just check the monitor at stops.

2017 Chevrolet 2500HD
mhudson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire pressure