Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-21-2015, 11:47 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I'm curious but of the many past threads on this and other forums concerning the correct tire pressure for a mh, there usually is quite a difference between front and rear pressure. Why?
Because the weight carried by each axle is different, and the rear axle of your coach spreads that weight over 4 tires rather than two.

The instructions to use the RV makers tire placard is a legal liability consideration. If something is wrong with the chosen pressure, it's the RV makers fault rather than the tire company. In general, the RV maker will determine the psi shown on the placard by using the axle GAWR as the load and the installed tire inflation table for the psi. They don't know how you will load the RV after you get it, so they have to assume a fully loaded coach. If you are less than fully loaded, doing your own weights and using the tire inflation table for your specific tire is a more optimum method.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2015, 03:04 PM   #16
1977-2006

Newmar Owners Club
I have the reverse situation. I left Va for Fl. I aired up for Va temps, knowing that things would change as I got further south. I do not adjust as the temps warm. I'd rather be over than under inflated.

Old 12-21-2015, 03:40 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRET View Post
I have the reverse situation. I left Va for Fl. I aired up for Va temps, knowing that things would change as I got further south. I do not adjust as the temps warm. I'd rather be over than under inflated.
I think there should be 1 caveat to this. If your in cold weather and using at or near the max cold tire pressure then I would adjust accordingly as I progressed into warmer temperatures.
Old 12-21-2015, 04:05 PM   #18

This is an easy to read Toyo tires reference. All RV tires are governed by the same DOT regulations. Tire industry standards are very consistent across the board. So this is very valid and necessary information for the safe maintenance and operation of your RV tires.

https://toyotires2-1524598101.netdna-ssl.com/assets/lib:toyo%20content/RV_tire_safety.pdf
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 06:02 PM   #19
1977-2006

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
I think there should be 1 caveat to this. If your in cold weather and using at or near the max cold tire pressure then I would adjust accordingly as I progressed into warmer temperatures.

That's a good point. Before I had the coach weighed, and before I had a TPMS, I was running 120 psi in all tires per the placard in the coach. Based on what the TPMS reports reports today, I was likely approaching 135-140 psi on previous winter trips south.

That may also explain why a pothole ruined a tire a few years ago. The ride was like the Flintsonemobile.
Old 12-21-2015, 11:48 PM   #20

The Rubber Manufacturers Association is the governing body for tire manufacturers in the U.S.A.
Their pdf. titled "Care and Service of Car and Light Truck Tires" has a chapter 4 titled "Recreational Vehicle Applications". If you read page 51 in chapter 4, you find this paragraph:
"
However, never use inflation pressure lower than
specified by the vehicle tire placard, certification
label or owner’s manual. Nor should inflation
pressure exceed the maximum pressure molded on
the tire sidewall"
You will find similar statements on Michelin, Goodyear, and other major tire manufacturers.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 06:23 PM   #21
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Out of curiosity, how many people actually check their tire pressure, at the tire, (no TPMS) and make adjustments every driving day.

I don't have a TPMS unit and check my tires about three times a year where I find they're low about 2-3 pounds. Now I live in California where the temps are pretty stable, but I just don't understand why someone would check 6-8 tires every travel day.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 06:32 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Out of curiosity, how many people actually check their tire pressure, at the tire, (no TPMS) and make adjustments every driving day.

I don't have a TPMS unit and check my tires about three times a year where I find they're low about 2-3 pounds. Now I live in California where the temps are pretty stable, but I just don't understand why someone would check 6-8 tires every travel day.
I seems Don......that Class A coach's tire pressure's go hand and hand with retirement........... Something to do I am guessing..........but whats funny, they never did it with their Auto's............maybe some
Old 12-22-2015, 07:09 PM   #23
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I'm retired.....I would quit RVing if I had to check my tires every travel day. I do look at them, but they only get a gauge attached three times a year.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 07:10 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
How often do you suppose cross country truckers check their tire pressure. Way too much over thinking.
Old 12-22-2015, 07:22 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuhly View Post
How often do you suppose cross country truckers check their tire pressure. Way too much over thinking.
As I have posted before.......as there is just a ton of tire pressure thread's on here..........one of my favorite things to do on my vacations, is spend the night in a big truck stop, set the alarm, get up start the coffee, and the wife and I sit and sip and watch all the truck driver's adjusting their tire pressure's before they leave the truck stop

Some Coach owner's are trying to get the best ride, from the lowest tire pressure, that will support/carry their load. Truck driver's do not have time for this. Their tire's will support the max axle/tire weight, loaded/empty, I did not have time for this as I was trying to make a living as all driver's are. Do retired truck driver's now adjust/check their tire pressure's?........on their RV's? Doubt it.
Old 12-22-2015, 07:23 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romer1 View Post
Just curious, with all these discussions on tire pressures, how many of you do the same checks to your car tires every day? If not, why not?
Car tire costs about $100, I'm usually by myself in the car and if something happens I can get a new one at any tire store after a 20 minute stop to install the spare.

Motorhome tires are at least $300, I'm never by myself, so any stop causes inconvenience to DW and tires are harder to find. I don't want to try to replace one myself without a lot of notice and in a place with appropriate tools.

That's why I have a TPMS on the coach.
Old 12-23-2015, 08:31 AM   #27

Thor Owners Club
I am new to the RV world. Getting ready to travel from Alaska to the lower 48. I was wondering if anyone has taken this trip in a diesel pusher and did you carry a spare tire. I will not be towing anything with me. Thanks for the help and about the tire pressures at traveling.
Old 12-23-2015, 08:45 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChallengerRN View Post
Make sure to add nitrogen to stabilize your pressures. !!
Russell
ChallengerRN
AIR is 78% nitrogen... (and air is free)!
Mel
'96 Safari