Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-23-2015, 10:16 AM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Some comments ridiculing others for checking tire pressure on a slightly more regular interval seem a little harsh. We don't drive trucks and frankly, I don't care to either. IMHO, comparing trucking needs and practices to RVs is seldom apples to apples.

Each of us approaches RVing with different experiences and attitudes. I don't think anyone should be criticized for doing anything that is related to safety.

Personally I have a vested interest in both tire longevity and ride comfort. I'm retired and if I choose to spend a little extra time checking tire pressure and it makes me happy then it isn't a problem for me.

There are clearly situations that IMHO suggest, perhaps demand, a slightly more active approach. The most common one being travels that include significant changes in temps. As an example, I run my front tires at 115 PSI (tire max is 120) and by the time I left central IL with morning temps at 45* for Macon, GA at 65* my cold tire pressure was 120 PSI. I made the proper adjustment since we were heading to Lakeland, FL knowing my morning cold temps would be higher and daytime ambient temps were going to be higher too.

Keep in mind that on DPs it is probably normal to run the front tires closer to the max PSI than the drive wheels and the opposite for gassers. In my case I'm very close to max PSI up front so that is my "trip wire" when going from cold to warm.

OTOH, going from warm to cold I'm a little more liberal under normal conditions. I accept that morning temps when I try to do my tire pressure changes might be significantly lower than when I actually hit the road so I tolerate tire pressures being 3-5 PSI below "ideal" anticipating the "cold" temp to be higher at departure time. BTW...I think this would be very appropriate for folks in desert area where night time vs day time temps have some of the most extreme differences.

To that end and to avoid spending too much time on this I do incorporate the use of a TPMS. When ever I do adjust tire pressure I use a quality manual chuck and compare it to my TPMS read out to ensure they read within a couple PSI of each other. That allows me to fire the TPMS up before I start a trip to validate that conditions haven't changed enough to get too worried about any minor deviation from "ideal".

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2015, 12:12 AM   #30
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I apologize, I guess I did ridicule to a certain extent. I can seeing checking your tires at the beginning of a planned trip, but everyday seems to be excessive. I would be fearful of causing more issues with valve stems, than it's worth.

I sold tires for many years and have had RV's for almost 40 years. I've never had a blowout on any vehicle and can only think of maybe 3-4 flat tires in in 45 years of driving. Tires require rotating (hard to do on an RV) proper alignment and keeping an eye on them for unusual wear to extend tire life.

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 09:52 AM   #31

Tires set to the correct pressures based on the weights they carry and the tire pressure charts DO NOT NEED a pressure adjustment/change when the vehicle is driven to, (or through), different OS temperatures, different elevations and/or different locations.
IMO that is an "exercise in futility', (aka: simply NOT necessary).
Mel
'96 Safari, 145k miles
Old 12-24-2015, 12:00 PM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
I too never worried too much about blowouts, just checked periodically and drove...
BUT, I had a blowout on a 5er that did a LOT of damage and I've changed...

On the new (to me) 22.5" tires that look like they would bring down a sherman tank, I do check them...
but via a tpms system... a one time purchase when they were on sale and now I know when I have an issue... granted the tpms readings are not perfect, but within a safe margin I can see a 'trend' developing...

one thing I did see is that my fronts when set @ 105 via a gauge go up to 130+ after driving for a while !!! I was stunned !
Old 12-24-2015, 12:06 PM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post

one thing I did see is that my fronts when set @ 105 via a gauge go up to 130+ after driving for a while !!! I was stunned !
THAT COULD BE PERFECTLY NORMAL. While I don't recall seeing 25 PSI changes too often it has happened. If you set your tire pressures in cold temps and then hit significantly higher temps later, it is plausible and I wouldn't get to worried. It is built into the tire design to handle these situations.
Old 12-25-2015, 08:37 PM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
Mine requires 85 on rear and 105 on front.Is this where they should be when I head out,
Left out this morning,55 deg. rear was at 81 and front was at 96 drove about 10 or 15 miles and the rear was at 92 and the front was at 109 and stayed there the rest of the day.
Old 12-26-2015, 10:00 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan5711 View Post
Mine requires 85 on rear and 105 on front.Is this where they should be when I head out,
Left out this morning,55 deg. rear was at 81 and front was at 96 drove about 10 or 15 miles and the rear was at 92 and the front was at 109 and stayed there the rest of the day.
stan5711
It's normal for the pressure in cold tires, (aka: tires not recently driven on), to vary 1-2 psi for every 10 degrees F of tire temp change.
In other words if tires are set to the psi recommended by the tire chart at 65 degrees F...the pressure in a cold tire will test 1-2 psi higher when the OS temp is 75 degrees F....(and 1-2 psi lower if the OS temp drops to 55 degrees F).
Tire pressure should only be adjusted when the tires are cold and no adjustment of the "cold tire pressure" is necessary if/when the OS temp changes.
Mel
'96 Safari