Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2017, 07:02 AM   #1

Tire pressure monitor

We recently purchased a Class C motorhome and are new to the motorhome experience. We previously owned a 5th wheel.

I have been reading about critical maintaining the proper tire pressure is in motorhomes and I wondered whether it is worth purchasing one of the tire pressure monitoring systems?

Any feedback on this would be appreciated. Please let me know if you recommend any specific tire monitoring system.

Thanks!
KeysVal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2017, 07:08 AM   #2

I bought one for several reasons.

1. I've had valve stems stick from using pressure gauges and drain a tire that I just checked of air slowly.

2. If one of the duals goes, it is likely it will take out the other dual.

3. You could easily lose control and crash in a blowout.

4. it's cheap insurance all things considered.

5. I love tech toys!

6. it was cheaper than the cost of 2 tires, let alone the cost of repairing the damage from a blowout.

I bought the EEZtire system which constantly monitors the tires, vs one of the ones that has to sense movement before it starts sending updates. I like the ability to check out the tire pressure before leaving, just by glancing at the display
Old 05-25-2017, 07:14 AM   #3

I have one and think it's a good insurance policy to have. I have never used it in an emergency situation but it sure is easy to check the tire pressure when headed out, no crawling on your hands and knees in 100 degree temps or rain and no head bumps on slides. I skimped and purchased an off brand on eBay saving about $100 but have had two sensors go bad in two years. Next time I will spend the extra to get a name brand and hopefully better quality.
Old 05-25-2017, 07:22 AM   #4

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to Smokyjoe
I have had Pressure Pro since they came out about 15 years ago. I feel safer knowing what's going on with all my tires. Twice they warned me of a tire going flat before it was too late.

36' Diesel
Smokyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 08:06 AM   #5

I'd researched for quite some time before making the purchase. I still have the monitor and sensors sitting in the house (just got the system last week). I decided that even though it comes at a cost (~$450 for 10 wheel monitor system) that it is good insurance. We'll be towing our car 4-down and I'll never know if there is an issue back there without it (I don't tend to look in the rear camera monitor too much)

I went with the EEZTire Tire Pressure Monitor System purchased from Amazon. It seemed to come pretty highly recommended from a couple forums.
Old 05-25-2017, 08:17 AM   #6

Rather than me repeating existing information, I suggest you use the SEARCH function on the forum. There are many threads on Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeysVal View Post
.....Any feedback on this would be appreciated....
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 08:19 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
If your rig has duals TPMS is very important because checking the inside dual is usually hard and if it loses pressure you likely will not know it until the outside tire blows.

If you are towing it is important to monitor the toad tires since you will likely not know one is low until damage is done. I have a cousin that spent $3500 fixing his toad after dragging a wheel several miles. He now has TPMS on all 10 tires.

Don't expect all the tires to have identical temps and pressures. You just want to make sure they are all relatively close to each other.
Old 05-25-2017, 10:47 AM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Val, I highly recommend that you get a tire pressure monitoring system! I chose the TireTraker system for the following reasons!

1. Lifetime warranty

2. Cap-type sensors to prevent air loss from the valve stems

3. User-replaceable, low-cost sensor batteries

4. Easy to program and use

5. Good customer support

6. Best price on a system meeting the above requirements at the time I bought mine.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 09:46 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

If you have to ask that question, then I think you very definitely need one. Maintaining proper tire pressure is indeed critical to both safe operation and comfortable ride, and that requires either religious manual checking (and possible action), or an automatic monitor system (TPMS). A few people are both knowledgeable and meticulous enough to do it manually with gauge every day or two; the rest should have a TPMS to help them do the job right.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 04:06 PM   #10

We received our EEZ TPMS just before a 5 week trip. One of the sensors was swollen and didn't fit into the theft-proof case. In addition, it read about 4-5 psi low. EEZ's first response was their sensors are tested and are accurate and advised me to do a variety of tests. Their suggestion for the swollen condition was to sand the sensor so it would fit into the theft-proof case. My goodness. At any rate, it took 3-4 phone calls and 3-4 emails to EEZ and finally they agreed to send me a replacement sensor by the Friday before our departure.

The sensor tracking number showed that the sensor would not arrive before our trip and when I asked about the delay, the first response was their Internet service was down. When EEZ failed to follow-up on another question, the CS person said he was out of the office that day closing on a new house. Today, when I called to verify the procedures for returning the defective sensor, the CS person said he was not in the office and couldn't help me right then.

Despite this "strange" way of doing business, the sensors seemed to be a well made quality device. The monitor is made of lightweight plastic and does not feel substantial like a GPS or any type of smartphone. Maybe all TPMS monitors are made the same way? The instructions are well written and easy to follow.

The monitor located and reported on each tire within a short time of turning on the unit. It was able to find and monitor the TPMS devices on our towed vehicle and never lost contact with any of the sensors. The warranty is for three (3) years which is less than some other TPMS equipment. So at the end of the day, we have a TPMS system that works as advertised.

I wish I could have inspected some of the other brands before we purchased an EEZ system. I would have wanted a longer warranty period and a better built monitor. And finally, I would have appreciated doing business with a more substantial business enterprise. At this point, I'd be unable to recommend EEZ over some of the other TPMS brands.
Traxless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 08:35 PM   #11

My TST System is great.

I appreciate my TST 507 System every trip.
-Service has been great, i.e. questions on operation and buying a couple extras such as power supplies to charge the monitor in the off season.
-Buying directly from TST enabled them to program all 10 sensors. All I had to do was tell them the recommended pressure for the RV and boat.
-I replaced all ten batteries this year after several failed to show up on the display. It was an easy process and took about 2 beers to complete.
christophere is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire pressure