Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2009, 02:51 PM   #29

I just ordered the TST system they told me the system would soon be available at camping world. I guess that would be good if you had trouble out on the road. Jim
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2009, 08:18 PM   #30
bnb1313@aol.com

Monaco Owners Club
Another vote for Pressure Pro. Works as advertised. Excellent support so far.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:38 PM   #31

I hadn't seen www.Smartire.com mentioned yet. Probably the Cadillac er. that's probably not a great analogy these days of the aftermarket TPMS. It is an internal rim mounted system - no theft. BOTH pressure and temperature (the pressure warnings are also temperature corrected) and the temp is measured on the rim so it can also detect brake drag. It also uses a temp adjusted pressure system to warn of over/under inflation based on the relative tire pressure. Most systems just use a delta psi warning but you could easily exceed a delta psi with a hot tire or a cold climate. My main reason for this system was so I could early detect if my toad braking system might be acting up (by getting excessively hot) and for allowing me to set extremely tight psi warnings that won't trigger due to normal temperature variations. It will also interface with TripTek and other onboard computer systems as well as having it;s own wheel-by-wheel display. I can montior all 8 camper wheels and any combination of toad(s) or trailers. It automatically synchs up to and reads the tires of whatever I pull behind me (as long as it has the Smartire senders on it).
Old 04-01-2009, 07:02 PM   #32

RVDude, I too think Smart tire is a great system; but, it definitely has three shortcomings. First, just looking at the initial purchase price you are looking at double any of the systems being discussed here. Second and not to be taken lightly is the installation cost of what would you say $40-$50 per wheel vs. owner installed on any of the systems being discussed here. Third, the initial installation price of just mentioned would be double at trade-in time, i.e. once to get it off of existing unit (coach or toad) and again to reinstall on new unit. Very quickly, the Cadillac becomes very pricey, Ken, '04 DSDP...
Ken Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 07:15 PM   #33

ken - agree on all three counts! Smartire is not the least cost TPMS by any account. I wanted to include it for completeness of the discussion.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:24 PM   #34

RVDude, oops, I totally missed that and you are right for any such discussion to be as complete and unbiased as possible all potential contenders should be included. Thanks for the reminder, Ken....
Ken Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 08:44 PM   #35

I ordered the same tire pressure monitor that Camping World offered from Ebay for $30 less and free shipping. Camping World said that I would have to wait six weeks and Shop4superdeal said that they would ship in three weeks.
Meandering Retiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 02:24 AM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meandering Retiree View Post
I ordered the same tire pressure monitor that Camping World offered from Ebay for $30 less and free shipping. Camping World said that I would have to wait six weeks and Shop4superdeal said that they would ship in three weeks.
i got mine from tst truck on the internet. they shipped it the same day i ordered it. about $300 delivered,
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 02:51 PM   #37

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Like wthomas1, we have the Tire Safeguard system, http://www.tiresafeguard.com/ .

We like it for the same reasons he does. We use the valve stem sensors for the toad and ordered an extra monitor to use while driving the toad.

We had some problems on installation but their tech support person, Steve Wong, is great, he sent me replacement parts until the problem was fixed, even sent me a longer antenna free!

We liked it enough to order a second system for our second car.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 03:22 PM   #38

Have been following these posts and decided it's time to get a system. Question for those who use the sensors on their toads: if the toad has it's own TPM system (like my '08 Subaru Forester) and the valve stems are rubber, what do you do?? Can they be changed to metal with the factory TPM in place?
Thanks.
David
Old 04-18-2009, 06:55 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Depends on the type of factory TPM system installed on the car. Some are attached to the valve stems and some are not. If the car's TPM is not tied to the valves, changing valve stems is no problem.

I had rubber valves on my previous toad and used pressure Pro sensors on it for 3 years with no problem. Metal valves are surer, but rubber does not automatically mean a problem.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 07:21 PM   #40

Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems

Has there been any qualitative research or testing comparing the various systems for functionality?
Old 06-12-2009, 04:33 AM   #41

Newmar Owners Club
RV Dude:

We have the SmartTire on our 4502 Essex and apparently haven't really figured out how best to establish and perform the settings so the alarm doesn't continually come on while underway.

Programing the TripTek display is pretty confusing for us. Understand that we're anything BUT adept at all this new fangled computer programing stuff and reading and re-reading the guide just seems to make it worse............ofcourse....we even had to quit using the VCR when we formerlyhad at home after our son left cause we couldn't figure out how to use the darn thing!!! .

We know how to input the cold tire pressures on the programming screen, and THOUGHT we knew the deviations for temp alerts......BUT....on the way up from Tampa, the dang thing frequently would display alerts (seemingly more frequently in rainy conditions). We run 120 in front tires and 85 in six rears but deviation kept tripping alert and ALL tires randomly the whole way. BOY....it's confusing. Any suggestions???? Steve & Lynette
Old 06-12-2009, 06:45 PM   #42

chick - check your PM.... gimme a call...