Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2011, 06:30 AM   #1

Tire pressure monitoring systems

I'm interesting in adding a system to our coach. What do you folks use/like?

What's involved in the installation?

I have a Tiffin 40RH diesel pusher.

Thanks to all for your invaluable help

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2011, 06:37 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Doran RV360 10 wheel package with repeater installed in the rear closet. I also use a laser guided IR temperature gun at all rest & fuel stops to check tire and wheel hub temperatures.

I power the repeater from the 12 VDC source found at one of the closet lights. I installed a rotary switch to turn repeater on/off when needed.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Doran TPMS-1.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	13761   Click image for larger version

Name:	Doran RF Booster-1.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	13762  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Doran RF Booster-2.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	13763  

Old 09-11-2011, 07:17 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Beware, I had to get a set of the TST sensors cut off of my valve stems. This cost me the price of having all 6 tires dismounted and remounted and balanced.

I've since went with a Crossfire dual tire air balancing system by Dual Dynamics that has all stainless steel components on the rear and I check the pressure and temperature on the front manually. The temp feature on the TST was at the stem out in the air so it didn't really mean anything anyway.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:26 AM   #4
Elf

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyringo View Post
I'm interesting in adding a system to our coach. What do you folks use/like?

What's involved in the installation?

I have a Tiffin 40RH diesel pusher.

Thanks to all for your invaluable help
I have the TPMS by TST. I have been very pleased with it. It allows temperature and pressure monitoring and alarms can be set for high and low limits. The installation was simple. Sync each sensor with the display unit and screw the sensor on the valve stem.

The monitor is rechargeable. You can leave it plugged in to a 12 volt outlet but I just charge it occasionally. I can go weeks between charges.

I did a lot of research and TST had a lot of good reviews, even on customer service. Which, to me, is very important. I want a product that works but I also want to know that if there is an issue I will have the support of the company. I have called once just to ask a question about using braided steel valve extensions. A real person answered the phone and was knowledgable.

Overall, I'm very pleased.
Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 05:43 PM   #5

I installed a PressurePlus 8000 series TP/TMS (both pressure and temp.) from Amizon.com (Pacific Dualies). It has 6 sensors and one relay. Relay and monitor can be battery powered but I ran 12v line to each. Cost was about $257. I think this system may have saved me from blowing out two tires (I have lost 5 tires so far in 1 1/2 years). I will purchase 4 more sensors and one more relay to cover all 10 tires.
Old 09-12-2011, 12:26 AM   #6

I sold TST for about a year. I had looked at all other available brands and TST gave the customer the most TPMS for the buck. Did we have some problem systems. Yep, but more important was how Dan Covington, Pres. of TST and his crew backed up the sale. They stand tall in my book and when I get a few personal issues settled, like a house for sale, etc. I hope to rejoin Dan and rep. for him again. We need more companies like TST in our country today as real people speaking English answer the phone, they are knowledgeable, when they say they will call you back they will call you back, and a customer service attitude like we were all used to in bygone days. Happy travels and be safe out there,Ken Roberts...
Old 09-12-2011, 05:47 AM   #7

After a lot of research we chose the TST system. We installed the sensors on the MH and the toad. We felt that having them on the toad we especially important.

We originally ordered the repeater but found that we didn't need it.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:01 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Google TPMS and find "hours" of reading.....
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:12 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I've had the Doran 360 for just over two years now. I have virtually the same set up as Dr4film with the booster and 10 sensors.

I would not recommend this system based on my experience. I have had to replace 8 of the 10 sensors so far and a 9th one has just begun to fail.

In recognition of the problem, Doran has extended their warranty on the sensors to two years but the defective sensor needs to be returned to them for testing before they'll send you a replacement.

It sure has been sounding like TST is gaining a good following.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 05:44 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post

I've had the Doran 360 for just over two years now. I have virtually the same set up as Dr4film with the booster and 10 sensors.

I would not recommend this system based on my experience. I have had to replace 8 of the 10 sensors so far and a 9th one has just begun to fail.

Rick
Rick,

Sorry to hear about your dissatisfaction & numerous failures with the Doran system. I think if I was faced with the same situation, I would feel the same. I had one sensor failure right after purchase and installation on our maiden trip to Alaska in 2010. Debbi Gerdes is the customer service rep for Doran RV and she sent a new one directly to Alaska, free replacement including the shipping. I returned the defective one for testing. It was giving me a lost signal intermittently at first then later constantly.

Unfortunately, I have heard of many sensor failures with other systems too so I really don't think that any one company has better luck than another with sensors. It's the luck of the draw.

What is important is how good the customer service is and how they handle situations like yours. Debbi has always been very helpful with initial troubleshooting during system installation and defective sensor follow-up.

BTW, I always remove my sensors from the wheels when I have no immediate plans to travel. I feel that it will extend the battery life that much further.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 09-13-2011, 09:45 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks Richard. I've grown to know Debbi quite well and you're right about the customer service being good. In fact they doubled the warranty period originally offered to two years.

To be fair, I should mention that we have been full time so the sensors never did get a break.

Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Rick,

Sorry to hear about your dissatisfaction & numerous failures with the Doran system. I think if I was faced with the same situation, I would feel the same. I had one sensor failure right after purchase and installation on our maiden trip to Alaska in 2010. Debbi Gerdes is the customer service rep for Doran RV and she sent a new one directly to Alaska, free replacement including the shipping. I returned the defective one for testing. It was giving me a lost signal intermittently at first then later constantly.

Unfortunately, I have heard of many sensor failures with other systems too so I really don't think that any one company has better luck than another with sensors. It's the luck of the draw.

What is important is how good the customer service is and how they handle situations like yours. Debbi has always been very helpful with initial troubleshooting during system installation and defective sensor follow-up.

BTW, I always remove my sensors from the wheels when I have no immediate plans to travel. I feel that it will extend the battery life that much further.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 07:37 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have a TireTraker 10 wheel system with repeater installed in the bedroom. I also use a laser guided IR thermometer at most stops to check temps. I power the repeater from the 12v power outlet in the bedroom. The TireTraker system has been great with no problems at all. I believe TireTraker is also sold under the Hawkshead name.

Previously I had a TST 10 wheel system w/repeater. I had at least 10 sensors fail in less than a year, and had two flat tires on the toad (while parked) due to leaking sensors. The customer service from TST was fantastic, but we totally lost confidence in the system due to all the problems we had.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:02 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Ditto on the TireTraker 10 wheel system. Installed it earlier this year. Has been very reliable. No sensor problems. Reads the sensors on the toad without a repeater on our Monaco 38. A plus with the TireTraker and Hawkshead TPMS sensors use a common long lasting battery available anywhere easily replaced. Also use an IR thermometer from Harbor Freight and Tools.

Monaco38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 09:15 PM   #14

Have had the Pressure Pro system on my previous Voyage and now on this MH since 2009 and have had great experience with them... informed me twice that I had a low tire... believe it's a great system and easy to work with.....