Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2011, 09:56 PM   #15

Say no more I allready order one system, I order the TST 507 system, $299.99 to my door, thanks a lot everyone for the great answers and advice. Joe

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2011, 11:44 PM   #16

That trucker you talked to, did he own his own rig or did he work for a company?
His answer might change depending. You won't go wrong getting a system going.
These testimonies speak words of wisdom.

Old 08-23-2011, 06:31 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Appears only the "coach" system was purchased. If a toad is involved, that is the most important "system" to have........
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 06:52 AM   #18

i work for one of the largest trucking company's in the U S A as a mechanic and the reason they don't run run tps on every unit is first cost but second the driver is required by law to do a walk around of his rig several times a day and if he never has to ck his tires the steering wheel holders out there would never do their jobs. the professional drivers still would do their jobs regardless and alot of drivers carry an air hose where they can air the tires back up, but the ratio of drivers to holders is larger then the public knows.
we do run tps on any trucks we run super singles on for safety sake it is great extends the life of the tires and keeps the driver informed but these are only on units where the driver has over a million miles with us accident free and has earned the company's trust
we do worry about blow outs as first it is dangerous to the public and second it is rough on the driver and truck, third all those aerodynamic parts on a truck are very expensive to replace and not least it delays freight.
i personally will invest in a system in the future if we get to use our mh more because it is safer and will save money and give more piece of mind.
so my guess is your trucker friend probably does his job correctly so it wouldn't make much sense to him
just the little i know about it
happy traveling
Old 10-30-2011, 07:38 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwf16129 View Post
i work for one of the largest trucking company's in the U S A as a mechanic and the reason they don't run run tps on every unit is first cost but second the driver is required by law to do a walk around of his rig several times a day and if he never has to ck his tires the steering wheel holders out there would never do their jobs. the professional drivers still would do their jobs regardless and alot of drivers carry an air hose where they can air the tires back up, but the ratio of drivers to holders is larger then the public knows.
we do run tps on any trucks we run super singles on for safety sake it is great extends the life of the tires and keeps the driver informed but these are only on units where the driver has over a million miles with us accident free and has earned the company's trust
we do worry about blow outs as first it is dangerous to the public and second it is rough on the driver and truck, third all those aerodynamic parts on a truck are very expensive to replace and not least it delays freight.
i personally will invest in a system in the future if we get to use our mh more because it is safer and will save money and give more piece of mind.
so my guess is your trucker friend probably does his job correctly so it wouldn't make much sense to him
just the little i know about it
happy traveling
pwf,,, as a driver for the largest ltl company,, I understand your comments... But also I am looking at a tire pressure monitor system,, Since we are new to the rv world, I cannot justify spending $300 or so right now before we see we are going to use it enough.. I would Love one,, (my jeep has it) and I'm sure I got more than a few looks at gas stops and such on our first trip ,(2400 miles) going around bumping the tires with a hammer... But hey,,, peace of mind ya know ?
Anyway, I have already found this site as a Great place for good info from nice people... Thanks everybody,,,
Darel
Old 10-30-2011, 08:44 PM   #20

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteEagle View Post
We have the Pressure Pro system..works great ........... would NEVER consider not having it .... believe earlier respondent that mentioned the truck drive doesn't understand is being far too nice..... think about it seriously ....
Me TOO I just had the battery in the sensors replaced after 5 years
Old 10-30-2011, 08:54 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I wouldn't leave home with out my TPS (TST TM-510). The pressure monitoring is accurate, temp is no where close (typically reports in the 70s for temp) so I use a infrared temp gun at each stop.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 08:55 PM   #22

we have a pressure pro... expensive, but worth every penny. my traveling buddy didn't want to spend the extra money, but after 2 significant blowouts, within 500 miles of each other, he became a believer, now runs with a tire monitoring system. a pressure monitoring system will not stop a blowout, if a tire is bad, it's bad... but the monitoring system may just give you enough warning that you dedicde where to have the tire fixed or changed, not a surprise in the middle of no where.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:30 PM   #23

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When I was working OTR, I would have loved having a system like TST for our tires. The OP's driver friend apparently hasn't had to explain away hundreds-to-thousands of dollars' damage that a bad tire can cause, even on a "Big Rig."
I've seen a delaminating recap take out the cross-braces, maxibrake, air lines and electrical on the rear of a trailer- costing the driver down-time of 2-3 days and the company thousands in repair costs and late service fees. Often, a simple puncture from a nail isn't that big a deal, if you catch it in time. Let that tire go flat, and they can literally catch fire from friction, not to mention having to buy a $300 tire where a $25 repair would have worked. Sometimes, the flat tire will even take out its neighbor, and if the driver doesn't realize they are BOTH flat, just stopping can grind a large flat spot on a rim... Many nightmares out there to be had. Even if it were $1000 to fit an 18-wheeler with one, it can pay for itself by preventing such incidents. Problem is, most companies only see it as an extra expense, and cannot record real-world evidence of savings since tire failures are so random.
I'm glad my kids' cars have these, as does my wife's, since even she doesn't ever really look at the tires. To that end, these systems are a must-have.
Old 10-30-2011, 10:59 PM   #24
Yaj

Pond Piggies Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have had a Hawkshead system for a couple of years now and have never been happy with it! In fact I just removed it from our rig last week. It has repeatedly given me false readings of losing air, doesn't give me any updates for 10-20-30 miles (start driving and it reads the high pressure from the drive the day before, usually just before I get to my destination the readings change), and didn't give me accurate readings according to 3 other gages I have. This is before and after it has been "checked" by the manufacturer and claimed to be up to specs, and I put new batteries in them twice, and bought the additional expensive repeater unit. I have always checked pressures before starting out for the day, but with this system I would head out thinking it would work and then wonder what my pressures were and wish I had checked them manually! Who do you know that wants to buy a barely used TPMS?
Old 10-30-2011, 11:22 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Pressure Pro for me. Both on the RV and the TOAD. I've heard too many horror stories about blowouts and the things we drive/tow. The initial cost is much less than the cost to repair!
Old 10-31-2011, 05:46 AM   #26

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have the TST system on my MH. Caught a hot brake happening last week before anything major could result. As far as I'm concerned it paid for itself.
fillbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 06:08 AM   #27

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to Smokyjoe
I've had Pressure Pro since it came out. Would not be without it.

36' Diesel
Smokyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 01:04 PM   #28

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokyjoe View Post
I've had Pressure Pro since it came out. Would not be without it.
me too and especially with a single rear wheel truck. s flat on the rear and in a turn could be a big wreck!!!