Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-19-2014, 09:14 AM   #1
Tire Pressures

I know that tire pressure questions have been beat to death, but I have another. I have Michelin XRV 235/80r22.5 tires on a Coachmen DP. I have axle weights of 8440 steer and 13500 drive. I haven't been able to secure individual weights. Using Michelin charts (which are for individual weights) my tires should be 95-100 psi in front and 75 - 80 psi in rear. I called C/S at Michelin ( to confirm because I thought rear was low for dual tires) they say that since I can't get individual weights I should go with max of 110 psi all the around. Would love some opinions and suggestions. I currently run at 90 psi on all 6 tires.

Nick & Barb
2007 Coachmen Cross Country DP
Blue OX, 2006 Jeep Liberty-Toad, w/Roadmaster 9700 Braking
Newbie58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2014, 09:31 AM   #2

80 psi. rear would scare the h... out of me , stick with 90 there.
I would put the front to 95 though, and be searching for a spot to get the corner weights.

99DSDP 3884, Freightliner, XC, CAT 3126B, 300 HP /ALLISON 3060
2000 Caravan toad, Remco & Blue Ox.
Skip426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 11:16 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
80 psi. rear would scare the h... out of me , stick with 90 there.....
I'm in agreement with Skip on the 80. Sounds like a problem waiting to happen. I'm running 95 on the rear and 90 on the front Tried 95 on the front when I got the unit as that was the pressure in them, but noticed too much steering wander, so dropped a couple of PSI at a time until the front end felt more stable.
Stan, Shirley & 2 Schnauzers (Sandy & Sassy)
RV: 2014 Itasca Sunstar 35F
USAF, Retired, Life Member: VSPA, DVA, VVA, VFW
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 11:34 AM   #4
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Under inflation is a mistake, over inflation as long as it does not exceed the capacity of the tire can be uncomfortable but is using the tire as designed. So if in doubt add some air. IMHO
I do all my own stunts
03 Dolphin LX 6355, Workhorse W22, 8.1 vortec, 04 CR-V, Blue Ox, Brake Pro----Norm, Barb and
Doc(He's a PhD)
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 10:20 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
As long as you don't go below the minimum inflation in the tire tables, you really don't have to worry about the 80 psi. However, since you never, ever, want to be low, going 10 psi above the recommended value is a safe bet.

When using the axle weight instead of individual weights, you need to make an allowance for possible imbalance on the axle, i.e. one end heavier than the other. I would add 10% for that. On the rear axle, divide axle weight by 4 and then add 10%, using that value of the estimated tire weight in the tire tables. And maybe still use an extra 5 psi after selecting that.
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 10:40 AM   #6
You may not need max air but low air builds heat and heat kills tires.
timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 07:33 AM   #7
Thanks all for the help. Until I can get corner weights I'll run 90 in rear and 95 in front and see how it rides. Maybe there will be an option for corner weights at at an iRV2 rally in the future.

Nick & Barb
2007 Coachmen Cross Country DP
Blue OX, 2006 Jeep Liberty-Toad, w/Roadmaster 9700 Braking
Newbie58 is offline   Reply With Quote

tire pressure