Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2013, 11:51 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Cool Tire Purchase Beware

Had recent blow-out with Hercules S-208 steer tire. Lost all tread and underlying rubber. tire company had a BS attitude and denial. DO NOT BUY! Was running 255-70-22.5 16 ply (LR-H) with 110 psi which was properly inflated and running the 110 psi from my motorhome tire sticker. 30 months old with 12K miles. Wholesale distributor who sold tires to installing dealer has indicated they are getting feedback from big rig truckers indicating they are getting poor and uneven tread wear, and amazingly "having tread separation problems".

BUYER BEWARE!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2013, 12:21 PM   #2

Just my opinion, but I think 110Psi is quite high for a rig of your size and weight. Have you ever had it weighed? Not saying you didn't have a bad tire but before you install new tires again, it would be worthwhile to research the proper inflation pressure for the weight you are carrying.

Old 05-20-2013, 12:26 PM   #3

OP indicates the 110PSI is from the RV's tire sticker. I'd think the manufacturers labeling would be low, not high, since the manufacturer wants the buyer to have a soft ride and could care less about tire life. JMO.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
OP indicates the 110PSI is from the RV's tire sticker. I'd think the manufacturers labeling would be low, not high, since the manufacturer wants the buyer to have a soft ride and could care less about tire life. JMO.
To obtain the best service life, handling and comfort, the inflation pressure should be based on the Actual GVW and not from a "Maximum Inflation Pressure" off the wall sticker.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:05 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
IMHO, you were overinflated, although many here believe over inflation if OK. Tire damage could have been caused by repeated IMPACT DAMAGE.

Quoting Michilen's RV Tire Guide, "Overinflation, on the other hand, will reduce the tire’s contact area with the road, which reduces traction, braking ability, and handling. A tire that’s overinflated for the weight it’s carrying is more prone to a harsh ride, uneven tire wear, and impact damage."

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:33 AM   #6
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom N View Post
IMHO, you were overinflated, although many here believe over inflation if OK. Tire damage could have been caused by repeated IMPACT DAMAGE.

Quoting Michilen's RV Tire Guide, "Overinflation, on the other hand, will reduce the tireís contact area with the road, which reduces traction, braking ability, and handling. A tire thatís overinflated for the weight itís carrying is more prone to a harsh ride, uneven tire wear, and impact damage."
And in my mind, over inflation would be if the sidewall max inflation stated 110 psi and more than that was put in.

A chalk test will determine over/under inflation. Draw a chalk line across the tire. Drive for several feet then check the chalk line. If the sides of the line are worn away it is under inflated. If the middle of the line is worn away it is over inflated. An even wear across the line would indicate correct inflation.

Yes, it is better the weigh and adjust to the tire manufacture's weight table, but without being able to weigh all four corners one needs to inflate the the max sidewall pressure.

JMHO - based on what I have read.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:05 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
And in my mind, over inflation would be if the sidewall max inflation stated 110 psi and more than that was put in.

A chalk test will determine over/under inflation. Draw a chalk line across the tire. Drive for several feet then check the chalk line. If the sides of the line are worn away it is under inflated. If the middle of the line is worn away it is over inflated. An even wear across the line would indicate correct inflation.

Yes, it is better the weigh and adjust to the tire manufacture's weight table, but without being able to weigh all four corners one needs to inflate the the max sidewall pressure.

JMHO - based on what I have read.

Thanks for JHMO.....however, I don't know what all are reading. For the record: Motorhome manufacturer "tire sticker" rates front axle at 10,000LBS with gross vehicle weight of 27,000 lbs. and calls for tires to be inflated to 110psi.
Ran original Goodyear G670's for 32,000 miles at 110psi with great tread wear and no problems. Took tires off at 7 years and installed the tires in question. Tires in questions were correct tire rating for size and ply rating. Hercules sent me their tire inflate info and at 110psi they were rated at 5,205. At 105psi they were rated at 5,065 (very close to axle limit).
Therefore, based upon motorhome manufacturer tire sticker and tire company manufacturer psi ratings all factors were in correct balance.

Additionally, all published tire ratings by tire manufacturers are for basic safety purposes. Any product is/should be expected to perform within these ratings. However, any product should not fail if within these limits as most are expected to perform if above a posted max. The max ratings are set for best safety guidelines so that "IF" someone was above the product would still perform for a period of time.

Thanks to all for their input.

Kent
Old 05-23-2013, 08:14 AM   #8

I don't think that tire separation is caused by over inflation. On the other hand, if he had low inflated tires, the tire would overheat and possibly separate. Usually, tire separation is a manufacturer's defect.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:20 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Smile buyer beware original post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrol 65 View Post
I don't think that tire separation is caused by over inflation. On the other hand, if he had low inflated tires, the tire would overheat and possibly separate. Usually, tire separation is a manufacturer's defect.
To follow your post.....I spoke directly with the distributor who sells the Hercules tires and from whom mine were purchased by the installing dealer. The employee at the distributor told me " we have have had a number of our big rig companies come back to use complaining about poor tread wear and uneven tread wear with this tire (in their proper size), and some have had "tread separation" occurring. Hercules has had a number of recalls on various tires....this is just another situation where a tire company does not want to take responsibility for anything they make (and they do not make them---they come from China)

Tags
purchase