Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-02-2012, 09:44 AM   #1
Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Tire Tools

I have a '99 Pace Arrow 34N, , when I bought it used the dealer told me that I didn't have a spare.
Yesterday I was playing mechanic and crawled under it, and low and behold I have a spare tire, What now, if I ever need to use it how can I get it down and even if I am sucessful where are the jack and tools?
Anyone know??????
Chances are I will never have to use it, but never can tell.

Don't pray for a blessing--Pray to be a blessing.
2006 Holiday Rambler Endavor 40 footer
Larry & Rita is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2012, 09:51 AM   #2
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This may be a long shot. Try checking under the driver or passenger seats.
If you can it may be a good plan to have the spare inspected. You wouldn't want to use it and have it fail too.

2010 Coachmen Freelander 30QB E450 V10
Have Kids Will Travel
Aguyfromcalg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:09 AM   #3
Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Do check the date on the tire, but I think the better solution is to have your tow service do the job. Often times I forget what my age is and the next thing I am in trouble. Bigger, new rigs do not have spares or tools.

Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:03 PM   #4
Look to see if there is a cable lowering system for the spare, which requires a special crank to operate the winch. If your MH is a gas engine, the jack, handle, and crank for the winch may be under the hatch somewhere. If the spare wheel is bolted in position, I refer you to Grimesy's reply. The spare wheel will weigh around 70#, perhaps more.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:15 PM   #5
Doubt you will ever find a jack or any other tools. Buying used it is a 99.5%chance the PO took them when he emptied the RV. Go to Harbor Freight and buy yourself a 20 ton hydraulic jack. Then go and buy a socket, extension and breaker bar of the correct size and you will be good to go.
Don and Lorri
2007 Dodge 3500 dually
Resident Dummy.
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:49 PM   #6
Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I was lucky and found my spare tire release tool in the rear basement storage compartment wedged up against a wiring loom.
The thing I would highly recommend is to check the date code on the spare. Six months ago I was having my tires replaced and had the shop inspect the spare (it looked near new and unused) He found the date code was 13 years old!
I got seven tires instead of six that day.
'98 Gulf Stream Sunsport 325, 7.5L Banks Power Pack, Koni FSD's, Air Bags, ReadyBrute Elite,
2000 Honda Accord

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:35 PM   #7
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Some of the gas rigs had an electric whench to raise and lower the spare, my Rexhall did, some had a crank. The tire tools were a long lever bar and a socket bar ~ 12'' long.
04 Horizon QD, 12 Ford Flex, Excalibar, Brake-Pro, ,, Winter Texan, RVin! since 1974
Norm, Donna & Tinker Kat 74 MGB-GT, 75 MGB, 01 Z3
Life is a Timed Event, you only get One Go Around!
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:12 AM   #8
I have a mounted spare and a cell phone to call road service.
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:01 AM   #9
We had a 1996 Bounder with a spare I had to use twice in 6 years. I carried a ” breaker bar with a pipe extension along with a socket. The motorhome had jacks and with a 4” block of wood under the jack it would lift the wheel off the ground. I would pull out the spare and change it, back on the road in 20 minutes. When I purchased new tires for the coach I always rotated the spare out to a newer one rather than purchase a brand new tire to just sit doing nothing but aging.
Now we have a DP with 22.5 tires and I am not going to be able to change these myself so I will call and wait for road service. I can’t carry a spare of that size and weight.
Sidewinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:12 AM   #10
Our '02 GT has a spare wheel and tire. It's attached underneath the propane tank compartment with a steel chain and hook. We have 19.5" wheels, but I don't think I'd risk changing a flat myself.

When we bought the rig in 2010, the tires on the road wheels were the original chassis build date '01 Goodyears. I changed all six to Toyos. This winter, I'll be taking a closer look at the spare to decide whether or not to change it also.
Frank Damp -Anacortes, WA,(DW- Eileen)
ex-pat Brits (1968) and now ex-RVers, as of 08 Dec 14.
frankdamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 12:01 PM   #11
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Have you checked the spare's air pressure?
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD, W22, 8.1, 7.1 MPG
2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 12:04 PM   #12
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The best tool to use if you have a spare is a cell phone to call road service. I would never attempt to change a flat tire on my motorhome.
dajudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 04:39 PM   #13
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Originally Posted by dajudge View Post
The best tool to use if you have a spare is a cell phone to call road service. I would never attempt to change a flat tire on my motorhome.
X2 Not worth the extra weight and haste

Fred and Bonnie
2005 Dolphin LX 6375
Abby, Ruffles & Scarlett, "The Cats"
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:35 PM   #14

Gulf Streamers Club
Originally Posted by Fred and Bonnie View Post
X2 Not worth the extra weight and haste

For sure, cell phone and road service. No way I could get a tire off my MH and back on again.

1993 Gulfstream Sun Voyager DP 30'
200 HP Cummins B5.9, 4sp Allison AT542
Toad 1998 Honda CRV, 2006 Honda CRV
Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote