Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-27-2014, 06:53 PM   #1

Tire valve extenders

I am presently shopping for new tires and have been getting conflicting reports on the usefull and effectiveness of adding extentions on the inside rear tires. One dealer told me he would install them ,but thought they were a waste of time because they would eventully leak. He suggested just getting a gauge that would be able to read them. What does everyone think about this issue? Is it worth installing extentions or not? Thanks in advance for all your input,Bruc.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2014, 07:20 PM   #2

Spartan Chassis
Highly recommend Dually Valves. They are not an extension but a one piece stem that will extend through the outside dual. I have had to many extensions come loose and leak or the super long secondary core spring will not activate the core at the tire and your can't add or check air.
Bought mine from these guys. Quality product. Give them a call and they will insure you get the correct product.
Dually valve kits for Motor-homes, Busses and 6-wheeled chassis

Suggest you check with the FMCA Michelin tire discount for your tires. I couldn't beat their prices.

rag_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:25 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
+1 on the Dually Valve stems. Solid metal that replace the original valve stems. Since you are replacing your tires it would be a good time to have them installed.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:31 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
+2 on the Borg Stems.

You're wasting your time and money with any extensions.

One piece stems is the only way to not ever have any problems.

I purchased a complete set of stems from Borg when I had 6 new tires installed. I bought all chrome and they were installed all facing out so airing up, taking a psi reading and installing my TPMS sensors are all a piece of cake now.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 02-27-2014, 09:14 PM   #5
Commercial Member

One thing to remember with longer valve stems. When you press the pressure gauge foot onto the end of the stem, you can significantly overload the rubber gasket that seals the air around the valve hole in the wheel. Some people end up loosening the valve so they have slow leak.
When you press the gauge onto the valve end be sure to support the stem with your other hand.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:55 PM   #6

X3. On the longer stems. Extenders will eventually leak.
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 02:44 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Borg recommends changing the gaskets every five years. I added alligator valve caps to my set up so I do not have to remove the caps to check and refill the air. Neat set up.

Alligator V2B Tire Valve Caps

One drawback is that these will not accommodate a TPMS
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:41 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post

One thing to remember with longer valve stems. When you press the pressure gauge foot onto the end of the stem, you can significantly overload the rubber gasket that seals the air around the valve hole in the wheel. Some people end up loosening the valve so they have slow leak.
When you press the gauge onto the valve end be sure to support the stem with your other hand.
Just a reminder to what Tireman9 stated is when purchasing the one piece long stems for the inner duals, also purchase the Donut that supports the stem in the outer dual eliminating the possibility of a leaky rubber gasket on the inner wheel.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 02-28-2014, 08:55 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have been using these for years with no problems. It is peace of mind to look at them when every time we stop and know that both dually's are inflated properly. You purchase them for the desired PSI. They use braided lines, not solid. One fill for both tires.

Amazon.com: Crossfire Dual Tire Pressure Equalization System, 100 PSI, one per pkg. (CF100STABT): Automotive
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:19 AM   #10

Dually Valve user here!

Ed
Old 02-28-2014, 01:40 PM   #11

Another "THUMBS UP" for the Dually Valves. I installed new Dually Valves at my last tire change. Extended stems for the back tires and standard ones for the front.

Going on 3 years and makes checking & filling tires much easier than the old way.

No more bloody knuckles.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:50 AM   #12
Commercial Member

Dual tire inflation

I won't try and convince people that hose extenders are better than longer valves. I know that once you have a part fail to perform as expected many will consider the item fundamentally defective. Same goes for long stem valves or short "Alligator" extenders.

However I have used this set-up since 3/08 with zero problems

You will note the hose end is firmly attached so there is no movement of the hose. When I check inflation I hold the hose with my other hand to prevent over-stressing the hose mount.
Oh yes I do have TPMS but mine are internal mount type.

I will point out that just as tires can "age out" before they wear-out all rubber components have a finite life. You have seen this with things like rubber bands and windshield wiper blades.
Replacing the rubber parts of your bolt in metal stems whenever you buy new tires is a suggestion I have been making for years and you may have noticed that this is standard practice at good tire shops.
Other components to consider are valve caps. You should not be using the soft plastic caps in high pressure applications. caps serve 2 purposes First to keep dirt out of the valve core and second to help keep air in if the core leaks. Metal caps have rubber "o-rings: gaskets that age and can lose their ability to seal.
Here is a vlave core leak

and here is the size of the grit that was causing this leak

The use of "Alligator" cap/extenders may not prevent dirt from entering the valve core body.

Valve body rubber parts that seal the valve to the wheel should be replaced too.

Bottom line:
Use long stems or extenders or hoses as you wish but do not simply jab the gauge on the end.

Use Alligator extenders or metal caps but be sure to clean off then end of the Alligator caps so you don't blow dirt into the valve.

Replace rubber components whenever you replace tires, or sooner if you wish.

ALWAYS use some type of cap to keep dirt out and remember that metal caps w/O-Rings can help keep air in if the valve core develops a leak

Use a TPMS as if you develop a leak it should warn you as soon as you loose 10% to 15% of the hot air pressure.

I have a number of posts with "Valve" as the tag if you want more info.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:15 AM   #13

As usual, there's more than one way to skin a cat. To me, it's just logic that the more places you have for air to leak, the more likely it is you will get a leak. That's why so many people are opting for the valve stems that are one piece with no extenders.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:17 AM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
So let me get this straight... If I were to have the Crossfires installed, does that mean I only need 1 tpms valve for each dual.

I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are awesome!
beepaj is offline   Reply With Quote