Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2012, 05:04 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Tire valve extensions.

I have heard that the stainless steel valve extensions leak and that they can be troublesome. I don't want or need that aggravation. I have also heard that there is a type that can be mounted within the wheel and are supposed to be better. I don't know anything about either one of them but I do know that I want to do the right thing and install the best extensions that I can get so that I can be vigilant in maintaining the proper tire pressure and not deal with the PITA that it is now to check the air in the tires.
Please tell me which is the bst way to go here!
Much appreciated!
Horizonchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2012, 05:18 PM   #2

I have the stainless steel ones on my rig and they don't leak.I know the plastic ones do.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:27 PM   #3

I had braided stainless steel extensions on our previous rig and had no problems. My current rig also has stainless extensions on the rear inner dual. I also had solid stainless extensions on the front of my old rig that produced a better angle for checking air pressure and filling the tires. I am looking for the solid ones for my outer duals and front wheels for our current rig.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 05:43 PM   #4

Look at Dually Valve Stems from Borg Tire. Bit pricey, but I would buy them again without hesitation. http://www.borgtiresupply.com/owner/duallyvalve.pdf
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 05:52 PM   #5
doc

Appalachian Campers
@ jzick We have had those on our last two coaches and for my money they are as good as you can get.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:36 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
V2B Inflate Thru Valve Cap

Dually valves and these make checking and filling tires as easy as it can be. I like this set up on my own rig.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:20 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazoo Tom View Post
I had braided stainless steel extensions on our previous rig and had no problems. My current rig also has stainless extensions on the rear inner dual. I also had solid stainless extensions on the front of my old rig that produced a better angle for checking air pressure and filling the tires. I am looking for the solid ones for my outer duals and front wheels for our current rig.
Used them on my previous three units from a Toyota Dolphin through the Tiffin and only had problems with one and I think it was damaged during tire replacement.
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:52 PM   #8

If an extension leaks it wasn't installed properly. There is an o-ring on the tire side that seals the extension to the wheel stem. If the o-ring gets pinched or sideways, the extension won't seal (and the o-ring may be ruined). Careful installation, & checking for leaks and you should be good for the long haul.

If you ever have tire service on duals, the service outfit will probably remove the extensions; make sure they put them back & get them seated so they don't leak.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:59 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My MH had the braided wire flexible hose extensions when I purchased it. I installed new tires and the tire shop suggested Stainless Steel extensions, but I stuck with what was there.

Big mistake! Three times on a trip from the West Coast to Fl I had inside tire leaks. First time in Bullhead City, AZ was not bad, they found the connection to the rim loose and only charged me $15.00 to fix. Next time was at a Truck Stop, but had to call a Mobile Tire Repair truck to come there. Same problem, but that time it cost me $135.00. Third time it cost me $45.00 at a tire shop as since it was the same problem each time I guessed that the flexible hose was whipping around and causing the seal nut to come loose. Had the Wire Braided Hoses left off and never had another leak on the way back to the West Coast.

And I have since added the stainless steel extensions.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:26 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My braids lasted ten years as did my tires with no problems what so ever. Heard a lot of warning about them but never had a problem.

But when I installed new tires I went with Dually Valves because I could not seem to do anything around the duals, wash, check air, wax etc; without cutting myself on the supports holding the braids away from the rim. Too much stuff on the rim.

So far with Dually Valves I am unscathed.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 02:19 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
It seems like the consensus is Dually Valves so I think that's the route that I will go.
Thanks all for taking the time to help me make my decision.
Horizonchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 05:58 PM   #12

Nor'easters Club
Send a message via ICQ to MaxTurner1
Using braided stainless and they're fine. Best investment -- the TPMS. It helps you keep tabs on pressure all the time.
MaxTurner1 is offline   Reply With Quote