Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2016, 04:21 PM   #15

Found my 5th Wheel on CL, but you are correct about the number of people trying to scam you on CL. I'm surprised by how naive some people are. We have a close friend who has a masters degree and owns his own business. He admitted to me (after several sundowners) that he lost $500 to a scammer on CL. I forget the exact details but he did send someone a $500 deposit for a classic car prior to actually seeing it.

Hatchee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2016, 04:46 PM   #16

I used to have fun sparring with the scammers selling motorcycles. I would imply an interest and go through the hoops (never send any deposit or personal info) When they told me where it was, I just happen to have a friend in that town that could come right over and take a look and test drive. They all seem to disappear after that especially if my "friend" happen to be a police detective.

Old 08-11-2016, 05:23 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankenHome View Post
Hold on. That 2006 Holiday Rambler is in my local Craigslist and I already sent my deposit! It's mine now... right?

If it's too good to be true it usually is, except for that 2006 Holiday Rambler Ambassador, I'm just waiting to hear back from the seller then it's mine! 😉

John
I actually thought the tag axle for 23K would be worth considering, even with a salvage title for a refer fire. But when my inlaws live in Indy where it was listed, communication dropped off..... Interesting... having friends or relatives in the towns near by kills the scam...

kerry
Old 08-11-2016, 05:31 PM   #18

I just wish we could expose the scammers, end it.

kerry
Old 08-11-2016, 05:45 PM   #19

We have bought and sold house, cars, RV's, houseboat, atvs, and motorcycles. Always had honest dealings. I can't believe it's still free.
Old 08-11-2016, 06:58 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona View Post
We have bought and sold house, cars, RV's, houseboat, atvs, and motorcycles. Always had honest dealings. I can't believe it's still free.
All kidding aside, Craigslist is a great place to buy and sell most anything and I've done plenty of both. I'm just amazed at how it's become the go to place for scams. The sad part is that they wouldn't be there if it wasn't so profitable. Too many gullible people making it too easy for scammers to get their hard earned money. But hey, when I lived in Portland Oregon we had a local lady who flew to Nigeria to meet the prince that needed help transferring millions out of the country. I'm NOT kidding!
Old 08-11-2016, 08:13 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I didn't bother to look at all the CL links but the one I did look at listed only a phone number. Once they get yours they sell it to other scammers, politicians, marketing firms and God knows who else. I NEVER respond unless I can start the conversation via CL's anonymous mailing system.

I see a lot of units going for $2013 or similar prices. That and all kinds of weird characters in the title.

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 08:19 PM   #22

I bought my rig off CL the missus insisted it must be a scam ($500 price) but it wasn't, just a desperate seller wanting to clear out her deceased dad's estate (I should have taken the free 260z she offered me but parking at home was limited)
Old 08-11-2016, 08:36 PM   #23
JFN

Bought my current 5th wheel off craigslist, called the seller and drove a mile from my house to his and bought it.
JFN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 09:42 PM   #24

Bought my current class A off CL. E-mailed, texted, and talked to the owner and his son many times over a couple months. Ended up making a 600 mile drive to check it out (many times over my 4 day stay in the area). Ended up driving home and made the deal a week later over the phone. Picked it up the next week.

I've bought and sold many things on CL. Do the leg work and be prepared to walk away if things don't check out.
Old 08-11-2016, 09:56 PM   #25

Please don't get my posting wrong! I do believe in CL, and think there are more legit business than scams on CL. I'm not disrespecting CL, I shop and will continue to shop on CL.

My frustration is with the small % of scammers that get away with it. I was hoping for some good insight on how to expose these people and discourage the practice.

I want to win the lottery too.... it is hard to do when i don't buy a card...
Old 08-12-2016, 07:55 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryvan View Post
Please don't get my posting wrong! I do believe in CL, and think there are more legit business than scams on CL. I'm not disrespecting CL, I shop and will continue to shop on CL.

My frustration is with the small % of scammers that get away with it. I was hoping for some good insight on how to expose these people and discourage the practice.

I want to win the lottery too.... it is hard to do when i don't buy a card...
LOL!!! yeah, me too on the lottery. I use CL a lot too, I get tired of scammers,etc. But it is still worth it for being free. I always code a contact # because there is not yet a computer that had deciphered it. Bad thing about e-mail is they can infect your computer. I never answer a request to contact via e-mail when I explicitly state in body of message my conditions of contact. I stick to those rules. Also, on small items, I make it a point to meet in public. Large items, they get redneck directions, no official address. If they are legit, they understand.Besides gps is wrong most of the time anyway.
Old 08-12-2016, 10:10 AM   #27

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Even more frustrating to me is adds posted that talk about how great the condition of the RV is, only to find out it isn't. Back in 05 we looked for a used RV, checked out a half dozen or so that all stated like new condition, no rust, clean interiors! The pictures in the postings looked as described, we'd go look only to find worn out interiors and rusty faded exteriors. The pictures were obviously old pictures that were taken when the RV was in much better condition. I'd even tell the poster when calling to make an inspection appointment that we were traveling a long distance to look at it and wanted to know if it really looked as good as the pictures or if the pictures were old pictures. They always said the RV was like new and looked as described. After about a half dozen experiences like that we gave up and went to dealers only.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 06:31 PM   #28

Same type of scams on CL on Classic Cars and Boats. Best bet would be deal local, check the area code of the phone number. Try to talk to the seller vs. email and text.

Check the pictures closely as well. You can tell by the types of trees, houses and scenery sometimes if it's local or not. I have seen pictures with mountains in the background in FL which is obviously a picture they found on the internet or use in multiple ads...

All types of scams even with official checks. The newspaper still has classifieds and you will find RV's in there sometimes in addition to other publications. I have seen a lot RV's for sale that are posted on Campground bulletin boards especially like a KOA or someplace like that I bet there are 15 RV's posted on the board at our local KOA and I would guess they are all legit sellers.

Good luck I agree and feel your frustration.

jblondon is offline   Reply With Quote