Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2016, 05:45 PM   #29

Fleetwood Owners Club
About all you can do is report them so they get taken down and maybe protect somebody from getting ripped off. Of course, it will pop up again, maybe as soon as the next day. When I was shopping for an MH last year, I reported a few hundred of those. They run the same scam for houses or apartments, and many people fall for it - usually, those who can least afford it :-(

I did look at a couple local motorhomes on CL and one of them was very nice (it truly was as-new, like he claimed, but I thought the price was too high and was pretty sure that it didn't get run often. 2007 Bounder with 15K miles and only a couple hundred hours on the generator, and not stored at his house). Finally bought a used one from a dealer.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2016, 06:25 PM   #30

Tiffin Owners Club
I recently found my first RV on craigs list. Spent about a year looking thru many different sites. Craigslist is just like anything else. If it sounds too good to be true it probably isnt. Anyway I would never buy anything this expensive sight unseen so if I cant stop by and inspect the unit I dont go back to the listing.
rick1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 03:42 AM   #31

Both our DP (four years ago) and our TT (last month) came off of Craig's List. After using it for a short time you can spot the scams right off and then just ignore them. The hardest part was convincing the sellers that someone from Alaska was going to come down and buy their RV.

If you go onto the Anchorage CL you'll see all sorts of adds from people stateside.

I've seen scams and if I'm board for an hour or two I have fun playing with them getting them waste a lot of time replying to my messages and seeing what types of answers they make up. Ask them to send you the VIN so you can run it through Car Fax, that's always interesting to see what they reply with as to why they can't get you the VIN. Tell them you're traveling on business currently in their area and you want to see the vehicle tomorrow.

Bill
Trackrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 06:44 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
We sort of found our RV on Craigslist--it was listed on both RV Trader and Craigslist. I ran into a lot of scams while searching though. One very elaborate scam sent me to an auto consignment business to pay for a coach. When you did a web search of the company you found lots of testimonials and even newspaper articles about how wonderful the business was. If you actually looked at the URL's however, they all were from companies in India, even the newspaper from Virginia. Apparently they hacked several companies networks and placed the bogus web pages on their servers. I started a thread about it here and the site became a target of DoS attacks until the thread was deleted.
Old 08-22-2016, 06:54 AM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I guarantee you can find a scam in about 10 seconds using search tempest to search multiple cities at once.

I found these two on my first search.

2004 Monaco Diplomat Full Wall Slide 400HP Cummins Diesel - $17045

2004 Monaco Diplomat Full Wall Slide 400HP Cummins Diesel

RV 2002 Monaco Executive * DS 40 * 500HP * - $23015

RV 2002 Monaco Executive * DS 40 * 500HP *

Clues that an ad might be a scam. First, the price is usually ridiculously low for the item. Weird syntax or characters in the title. The scammers uses these to keep track of ads. Many times you'll see the same ad in different cities with the same verbiage, but different titles and pictures. Pictures in the ad are taken in a location different from where the motor home is located.
Old 08-22-2016, 06:57 AM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegiller View Post
About all you can do is report them so they get taken down and maybe protect somebody from getting ripped off. Of course, it will pop up again, maybe as soon as the next day. When I was shopping for an MH last year, I reported a few hundred of those. They run the same scam for houses or apartments, and many people fall for it - usually, those who can least afford it :-(

I did look at a couple local motorhomes on CL and one of them was very nice (it truly was as-new, like he claimed, but I thought the price was too high and was pretty sure that it didn't get run often. 2007 Bounder with 15K miles and only a couple hundred hours on the generator, and not stored at his house). Finally bought a used one from a dealer.
When I was actively looking for an RV I'd report the ads that were obvious scams and I got a message that I couldn't report any more. I guess there are people that report ads for entertainment and craigslist will block you if you report too many in a period of time. The problem is that one RV can show up in ads in 25 cities so if you report them all it looks like you're messing with craigslist.
Old 08-22-2016, 07:09 AM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
I keep reporting the ones I find, too bad it is difficult to send an email to CL with the info, the only way I have found is by filling out a form, It would be so easy just to forward the ad to abuse mailbox.

In my search for the perfect rv, I use a summary site that shows all the ads across us on ebay, cl and rvtrader it makes my search faster each day.

kerry
kerryvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 08:59 AM   #36

We bought ours from Craigslist and are thrilled with it. THis is of course running in to numerous scams and deadbeats. Once they throw the pitch, I mess with em. I figure if they are going to waste my time, I'll waste theirs. I had one that I was talking to and all seemed OK. When it came time to see the RV, they had to move for her husbands job but it was located in Kansas City and prepared for deliver. All they needed was an address to verify identity, blah blah blah. I sent her my address. 1060 W Addison St. in Chicago.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/10...!4d-87.6561341

For some reason, she stopped communicating after that.
Thegozfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 05:39 AM   #37

Fleetwood Owners Club
Here is a picture of mine that I bought off Craigslist.

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3236.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	462.3 KB
ID:	136833
It was only 45 miles from where I live. But, I've been on both the selling and buying venues where there is a scammer on every corner. Be very careful!
98FPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 08:52 PM   #38

Juliana Hoskins SCAM On Philadelphia Craigslist Now !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryvan View Post
This is the sister ad to which I inquired to they are the same unit, below is the info, the ad I replied to has since been removed from what I can tell.

Turbo Diesel Executive * 2002 Monaco

2002 MONACO EXECUTIVE 40 DS - $23,000

Juliana Hoskins <j3hd22@gmail.com>

Aug 8 (3 days ago)

to me

Hello, my name is Juliana Hoskins, happy to see you are interested in my motorhome.

This is a beautiful 2002 MONACO EXECUTIVE MODEL 40 DS, 2 SLIDES, TAG AXLE, 42 FT TURBO DIESEL PUSHER MOTORHOME! Rare To Find! Good Miles!!! Powered by 500 HP CUMMINS TURBO DIESEL motor on ROADMASTER chassis that runs strong, and the automatic 6 SPEED ALLISON transmission shifts smoothly. Motor starts and runs really good. It has a Onan Quiet Diesel 10000 generator with only 649 hours, that starts and runs good. It is equipped with front air conditioning and TWO roof A/C units. Winegard satellite antenna, solar panel, rear backup camera, electric step, full outside basement storage, outside shower, Lp gas, Aqua hot system, black/gray/fresh water tanks. Cruise control, Abs, jake brake, towing package, tag axle, full body paint, ladder, and many other luxury features.

Please note I have provided a lot of detailed pictures for you to get an adequate idea of the condition of the Motorhome...

This motorhome has a Texas Salvage title. If your State requires, I can provide you with a clean blue TX rebuilt title, within 2 weeks, after payment. If you have any questions about the rebuild title, you can call your local State DMV. The price was reduced at $23,000. I have purchased this Rv from Insurance company. Refrigerator caught on fire. Fire has been put down right away, and there is no damage to the inside of the Rv. The damage was only to the refrigerator vent on the roof, and couple of inches on the front of the vent. Roof has been repaired by a professional fiberglass shop, and the vent had been replaced. Refrigerator needs new coolant unit. There is no smoke odor, or other odors inside of the Rv.
If you have any other questions, or need more info please feel free to ask.
Thank you

Juliana Hoskins

Aug 9 (2 days ago)

to me

Kerry, this is how eBay's escrow service works:

1. I will contact and give them all the information regarding this deal.
2. They will email us the official form once they acknowledge and confirm it.
3. You will send the escrow payment to eBay and they will trigger the automated shipping to start.
4. After you inspect/drive the motorhome trailer and decide to keep it, eBay will release the funds to me after you take legal ownership.

Remember you have 5 days to test it. If by any reason motorhome is not as described or if you find any problems with it I will pay to get it back to me.
I work odd hours, email works best so please bare with me - sometimes I cannot respond immediately. I will try to check it every time I'm free and give you a response as soon as I can. A little patience and I think we both can get what we are looking for. Hope you can agree!
I need to know if you are interested so I can ask them to send you the official form for this sale. If "YES" please include in your next email your contact info for eBay (full name, shipping address /billing address and phone number), so we can move forward with this transaction.

Thank you!
He's Back ! I just bumped into the too good to be true 2002 Monaco, but you need to inquire just in case. I also am looking for a motorhome & Scammer Juliana Hoskins now has a listing on Philadelphia Craigslist. I had to inquire because of the price & we did a few back in forth emails with the 3rd actually including 48 exterior & 56 interior photos. The 2nd ended up being a poor me email on how many great times he had in this coach traveling around the country with his wife & children that he loves deeply, but he needs to sell it now because of his divorce & was only asking $23,000 so his wife would not get a large amount of money on her payoff. So much for loving deeply! The 4th was the same exact word for word email you received & the red flags really flew up after this email. I already knew eBay will not get involved if it's not being purchased on their site, plus even them it's not through eBay. It would be Pay Pal only dealing with the money end! I did send him back a reply to the email that both you & I received, but leaving the door somewhat open if he was not a scammer & also letting him know he was not dealing with a fool, well, a total fool anyway. After that email I never received another email which I somewhat was expecting. I did click on the blue prohibited button on the Philadelphia craigslist listing 5 days after I received no reply & knew 100% it was a scam. It's suppose to report a spam listing. It evidently does nothing, because before I started this email to you, it's still listed. I did attach my last email below to this joker just in case you want to check it out. How I found your post is I googled Juliana Hoskins to see if he even exist & there was a iRV2 there to click on. Like others said, I too had good luck on Craigslist over the years, but it is my 1st time searching on there for a motorhome as one of my places to check.

Here's my last email to him.

I'm sorry Juliana, but only a fool's fool would purchase a motorhome sight unseen without their own eyes & without hiring a 3rd party inspector after I inspect it !!!!
After the inspector is done, it would be a cash deal (certified check).
Is it or has your 2002 Monaco Executive been listed on eBay ?
That would be the only way you could go through eBay & then they send us to Pay Pal.
Once again, sight unseen & no inspection is not for me or 99% of the motorhome Buyers looking to buy !!!!
1st, eBay has no escrow accounts. They us Pay Pal & I'm not familiar enough with Pay Pal to know if they have escrow accounts. I no you can sent money through them, but I never heard of an escrow through Pay Pal.
They mite, you can learn something new everyday.
I'm sorry that you're having to sell because of your current situation, since you're saying that you have great memories with your family in this Monaco Executive.
If we can get together for me to see & have the inspection done, I willing to move forward.
If not, we can't, & if you are a legitimate Craigslist Seller, you will never sell it the way you are trying to do it, unless you find an idiot wanting to give a stranger $23,000, even $5000.
I know I WORKED way to hard all of my life in construction to buy anything that's a high ticket item site unseen & for me, 23,000 is a high enough ticket.
I'll be looking for your reply to see this Monaco in person.

Thank You & Kindest Regards,
Rick S, Pennsylvania.
rcopo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 07:02 PM   #39

Don't waste the energy arguing and reasoning with scammers. They know full well what they're doing and nothing you write or say is going to change any of that. Actually, it just shows them that their tactics are working by virtue of someone responding to their "ad".
Old 10-26-2016, 11:57 PM   #40

For each scammer taken down, another pops up and the cycle continues. There is profit in scamming as someone always bites and gets suckered. Just takes one deal a day and the scammer just grows and crows about it. Be careful in dealings out there.
Wayne MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 06:08 AM   #41

I just wanted to chime in since I am currently in the process of buying a motorhome I found on craigslist. In my case I have been shopping for a specific couple of models, not just a deal on a motorhome, for about 4 months since finding an ad for one of this model for sale locally on another online classified ads site (bookoo), unfortunately it turned out to be a money pit ( a lot of selective photography in the ad to make it look good).

Over the months I found several good candidates, that I either passed on due to distance, etc. or that sold incredibly fast (within hours of being posted). There were a few scamers in there as well, most of their tactics are easy to spot, most have already been noted, but one additional one I have seen is they will list a model that does not exist in the model year they claim to be selling. Lets say they claim to be selling a 2002 Brand-X 32XYZ when in reality the 32XYZ floorplan was not offered until 2005.

Now down to why I don't think the one I am buying is a scam,

1, The initial asking price was on the high side, not the low side, although the seller has accepted an offer for 20% off their initial asking price, a price that is still higher than some of the same model I have seen advertised over the months, but it does have lots of upgrades.

2, Upon initial contact I asked specific questions not mentioned in the ad (condition of roof, tires and a list of any suspension or engine modifications) and looked for answers that sounded like they came from an RV owner. This is to weed out not just the scams, but also potential money pits owned by people that don't maintain their toys.

3, The seller gave me her husbands phone number to call and ask technical questions, and he talked the talk, knew the specific issues common to this model as well as talked about the specific upgrades that had been done, and lack of certain other ones.

4, After a bit of sleuthing I was able to find different pictures along with questions about this specific motorhome on the owners group message board posted by a user name that is a variation of the sellers name over the last 2 or 3 years.

5, At my bank's request I had the seller send me a front and back scan of the title

On a final note, I am scheduled to fly down to Florida and pick it up next week
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 06:29 AM   #42

License Tag

Good luck on the purchase, sounds like you did your due diligence. What are you going to do about a license tag to drive home?
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote