Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2016, 12:28 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Tired of Craigslist RV Scams

I've been looking for that perfect rv for me, but I keep finding rv scams on craigslist. We need to find a way to shut this down!!!

I do look at the reputable sites, and I'm not expecting to find a good rv on craigslist. But these scams pxss me off..

they are the same unit in different cities across the usa, a local would not notice this scam...

kerry

2004 Beaver patriot

2004 beaver patriot

2004 beaver patriot

Holiday Rambler Ambassador 2006

REDUCED 2006 Holiday Rambler Ambassador
kerryvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2016, 12:38 PM   #2

I bought my current RV off of Craig's list and was very happy. I will use Craig's list to look for my next upgrade
Good business use Craig list to sell their stock.
There will always be some scammer looking for someone. Just ignore them and they will go hungry and move on.
Just be smart and buyer beware.
In Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 12:39 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
$27k for the Ambassador is definitely suspicious but the Beaver price is about right for a 2004 Patriot (non Thunder). Could it be they are just trying to get maximum exposure so that is why it is listed in LV, PD and Seattle? Did you try calling to get more info?

Yeah, CL can be a pain sometimes. I don't know how many times someone offers me a price on an item I am selling and when I accept, I never hear back from them!...and failure to show up...oh don't get me started...
tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 12:42 PM   #4

I will post in different cities depending on the item to get broader exposure.
Pickelhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 12:43 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Are you sure it's a scam? Placing an add in multiple Craigslist markets doesn't automatically make it a scam. Lots of folks have traveled across the country to purchase their coaches. Big dealerships like Lazy-Days clearly market nationwide. If I was looking to sell my coach as a private owner and marketing it on Craiglist to do it - posting my add in multiple Craigslist markets would be the smart thing to do.

I've certainly got no love for scams ... but it will take more than advertisements in multiple markets before I'm convinced that any of these adds are part of a scam.
Old 08-11-2016, 12:55 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I went down the path a few times on craigslist ads, on some of those great buys... they ended up wanting to use an ebay escrow account to transfer the funds. After contacting ebay about using a escrow account for craigslist items, I was informed that ebay does not do this for vehicles not listed on their site.

I've been down this path 3 times, each time the same rv was listed in multiple towns, so just trying to raise the awareness flag to others.

I;m sure there are more legit ads on craigslist than scams, but this looks to be a scam, just saying..
Old 08-11-2016, 01:24 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
This is the sister ad to which I inquired to they are the same unit, below is the info, the ad I replied to has since been removed from what I can tell.

Turbo Diesel Executive * 2002 Monaco

2002 MONACO EXECUTIVE 40 DS - $23,000

Juliana Hoskins <j3hd22@gmail.com>

Aug 8 (3 days ago)

to me

Hello, my name is Juliana Hoskins, happy to see you are interested in my motorhome.

This is a beautiful 2002 MONACO EXECUTIVE MODEL 40 DS, 2 SLIDES, TAG AXLE, 42 FT TURBO DIESEL PUSHER MOTORHOME! Rare To Find! Good Miles!!! Powered by 500 HP CUMMINS TURBO DIESEL motor on ROADMASTER chassis that runs strong, and the automatic 6 SPEED ALLISON transmission shifts smoothly. Motor starts and runs really good. It has a Onan Quiet Diesel 10000 generator with only 649 hours, that starts and runs good. It is equipped with front air conditioning and TWO roof A/C units. Winegard satellite antenna, solar panel, rear backup camera, electric step, full outside basement storage, outside shower, Lp gas, Aqua hot system, black/gray/fresh water tanks. Cruise control, Abs, jake brake, towing package, tag axle, full body paint, ladder, and many other luxury features.

Please note I have provided a lot of detailed pictures for you to get an adequate idea of the condition of the Motorhome...

This motorhome has a Texas Salvage title. If your State requires, I can provide you with a clean blue TX rebuilt title, within 2 weeks, after payment. If you have any questions about the rebuild title, you can call your local State DMV. The price was reduced at $23,000. I have purchased this Rv from Insurance company. Refrigerator caught on fire. Fire has been put down right away, and there is no damage to the inside of the Rv. The damage was only to the refrigerator vent on the roof, and couple of inches on the front of the vent. Roof has been repaired by a professional fiberglass shop, and the vent had been replaced. Refrigerator needs new coolant unit. There is no smoke odor, or other odors inside of the Rv.
If you have any other questions, or need more info please feel free to ask.
Thank you

Juliana Hoskins

Aug 9 (2 days ago)

to me

Kerry, this is how eBay's escrow service works:

1. I will contact and give them all the information regarding this deal.
2. They will email us the official form once they acknowledge and confirm it.
3. You will send the escrow payment to eBay and they will trigger the automated shipping to start.
4. After you inspect/drive the motorhome trailer and decide to keep it, eBay will release the funds to me after you take legal ownership.

Remember you have 5 days to test it. If by any reason motorhome is not as described or if you find any problems with it I will pay to get it back to me.
I work odd hours, email works best so please bare with me - sometimes I cannot respond immediately. I will try to check it every time I'm free and give you a response as soon as I can. A little patience and I think we both can get what we are looking for. Hope you can agree!
I need to know if you are interested so I can ask them to send you the official form for this sale. If "YES" please include in your next email your contact info for eBay (full name, shipping address /billing address and phone number), so we can move forward with this transaction.

Thank you!
Old 08-11-2016, 02:00 PM   #8

On the reply above,,, looks like a scam to me.

As far as Craigslist in general, i know a few people who have found decent deals. But i also know people and have read where people got scammed. I'm sure the good outweighs the bad but for me, i'm not going there to chance it.
Old 08-11-2016, 02:10 PM   #9

I bought my current RV off Craigslist. I'm in Houston and the seller was in Oregon. I also have sold a couple cars on Craigslist. Never send or receive money into your bank account. No deposits and so forth. I actually did send a deposit but it was after many months of negotiation with the seller refusing my offer and later accepting when the RV was still not sold. If you are unable to get the seller on the phone and are dealing by text or email only move on. Exercise some caution to avoid being scammed and the process works well.
noserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 02:19 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tankcj View Post

Yeah, CL can be a pain sometimes. I don't know how many times someone offers me a price on an item I am selling and when I accept, I never hear back from them!...and failure to show up...oh don't get me started...
I sometimes sell small things on craigslist. Gives me a little $$, clears out what i no longer and finds a new home.

One thing i do state to a prospective buyer is, call me when your ready to come to me for location, first one with the money in my hand gets it. This motivates buyer and weeds out lookers.
bruce91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 02:27 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have over many years sold and bought cars, RVs, tools, electronics, building materials, etc. It's buyer beware of course. One must do their due diligence. If the other party is in any way questionable, just move on. Green cash face to face sales only.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 02:38 PM   #12

Hold on. That 2006 Holiday Rambler is in my local Craigslist and I already sent my deposit! It's mine now... right?

Just kidding of course. Craigslist list is full of scams for cars, trucks, rvs, you name it. I had a co-worker that tried to nail down some guy on a too good to be true Mustang. He didn't send any money but he attempted to meet the out of state guy to see the car. When it got that far the scammer quit communicating. When I smell a rat it doesn't take much internet sleuthing to expose it. What I've found is that the the pictures in the add are pulled from an old eBay listing then shotgunned to all the major city Craigslists. The info in the add is usually very sparse and almost always the same. The price is always the same. We recently had two local guys convicted and sentenced for running this scam. They went as far as paying a local accomplice to set up a local phone number and take the calls to reduce suspension. Once the deposit hit the bank they'd cash out and do it again.

If it's too good to be true it usually is, except for that 2006 Holiday Rambler Ambassador, I'm just waiting to hear back from the seller then it's mine! 😉

John
FrankenHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 03:13 PM   #13

Yea, I have gotten pretty good at spotting the scammers over the years. I figure if they won't talk on the phone, they don't need what I am sellin. Also, I do not negotiate with self, except when I p_ss myself off.LOL! Anyway, I always ask for more pics, if they can't provide, run. Very few pics, or only 1 pic is an indicator sometimes. All in all, be diligent and don't let loose of the money until you have item in hand and it matches the description. Oh yes, and take a couple of friends with you....personally I like Smith and Wesson.
Crazeee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 03:17 PM   #14
UAV

KerryVan...That is a total scam and they are all over the place, not just Craigslist.

Stay very far away.
UAV is offline   Reply With Quote