Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2010, 09:05 PM   #1

Tired of Looking

I'm tired of trying to search for a good quality small vacuum for our fifth. We don't have central vac in it (thank god) but carrying my Dyson back and forth (much less finding a place to store it) is not desirable. Does anyone have a small upright or canister that does a really good job with dirt and PET HAIR? It also should be inexpensive like under 120 bucks. kkd
kaykaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2010, 09:13 PM   #2

Have used a small Sears cannister type for several years now. Does the job quite well and is easy to srow under the bed
RVhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 11:32 PM   #3

I bought my wife_and I, a Dirt Devil canister type with a power carpet head 2 days after we got our new 5er. It does an excellent job. I just bought her,at her request, a Dirt Devil Classic, hand-held, which does just as good a job as the canister. It is much more convenient to use in tight spaces and up high, but requires crawling around to clean the carpet.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 12:35 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Oreck has a small one that I have heard is good, however, it is pricey. That's why I havent bought one, $168.

ORECK Compact Vacuum : Portable Vacuums : C&H Distributors

Another reason is that I think that it would be important to have one capable of wet/dry in case you need to pick up some water or dry something out while on the road. Wet\Dry vacs are also good for heavy dirt removal. I used my shop vac once to remove loose dirt from the bottom of a post hole so I could re-set the post.
Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 08:14 AM   #5

Thanks all

I like the idea of a wet/dry vac. Never know when the dogs spill the water bottle or you develop a leak during a rain storm. Guess I'll widen the search area. kkd
kaykaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 09:02 AM   #6

After trying many brands we use the Eureka 160 series vacuum cleaner. It is light weight and has a power head and is about the size of a dust buster. It does a great job on pet hair, dirt and dust, anything you can think of. It is an amazing vacuum and well worth the money. Check eureka.com.
R1Kirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 09:20 AM   #7

A few months ago we bought a Shark (~$50 at Buy.com) figuring it was going to rattle around in the bay and we wouldn't lose much if we had to replace it. My wife likes it enough that she bought another for home about two weeks after we got the first one. She no longer uses her high $ vacuum. The Shark is weird looking, but is great at getting into small places and picks up Papillon hair well!
Ernie

Remember! Life is not a rehearsal!
Ernie n Tara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:34 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have tried three different vacs including a Eureka Whirlwind and a Shark. None of them worked very well in our opinion.
A while back I took the Eureka into a vacuum sales and repair shop and told him I wanted something a lot better and still small since it was for a motor home. He tested the suction and the airflow on the Eureka (said the airflow is more important than the suction) and came up with a Super Fastvac 500 Vacuum made by Schneider Industries in California. It has 85 inches of water lift and 115 cubic feet of airflow. That was over twice what the Eureka had and over three times what the Shark had. It's pricey (list is $199) I paid about $130 for it - but it does a heck of a job. I also bought a vacuum powered carpet brush head that cost another $38 and unlike the one that came with the Shark, it is hard to slow down.
It's small: Weight = 4.5 pounds, Dimensions =7”x12.5”x4.5” but powerful and comes with the usual attachments plus attachments for cleaning computer keyboards and the like. Those work great on the motor home dash.
Vacuum shops carry them but I haven't seen them at the mass merchandisers like Target or Walmart.
The web site is HERE if you are interested.

I posted this a while back and two people bought one from the web site for less than a hundred dollars. I don't know if that was a special sale or not.
Old 06-24-2010, 01:01 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykaydee View Post
We don't have central vac in it (thank god) but carrying my Dyson back and forth (much less finding a place to store it) is not desirable.
Why would you not want a central vac??? We have one in our coach and Martha loves it.
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 01:21 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Great little vac...

We wanted a small canister vac that had a lot of power. $68.00
Follow this link to amazon and read all the great reviews:

Amazon.com: Eureka 3670G Boss Mighty Mite Canister Vacuum Cleaner: Kitchen &…
Old 06-24-2010, 01:26 PM   #11

Clay L

I can't get your link to work, comes back "page not found". A Google search seems to indicate this product is no longer made.
lllkrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 01:40 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Clay L...

Your link didnt work for me, but this one should:

http://www.sivacs.com/ProductDetails...tCode=500%2DFV

Super FastVac 500 looks like a nice size, and very similiar to the portable Oreck.
It would be interesting to compare the specs of each.

Still thinking that a Wet/Dry might be important, I think I will start another thread with MotorHome Vacumms as the topic.

I, also, was wondering what was wrong with the built in vac systems, since many seem to have them and I havent seen any complaints.

To me, the drawback would be that it wouldnt be available to vac the toad or maybe the basement area, or the golf cart, in my case.
Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 04:41 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
Clay L

I can't get your link to work, comes back "page not found". A Google search seems to indicate this product is no longer made.
Yeah the link is dead but the new one is here http://www.sivacs.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1

I hadn't checked it in while and didn't realize it was gone.
Looks like the price has dropped quite a bit also.
Old 06-24-2010, 04:49 PM   #14

Tire of looking

My wife and I bought a very small shop vac, we also needed to buy the additional pieces. The vac was a $24.00 and the wand was $11, The vac is now on sale for $19.00 My luck. We have been very happy with it,
badge2283 is offline   Reply With Quote